Helpful advice for renewal of British passport/proof of address

As many people on here, everything is in my wifes name, so when it came to renewing my British passport last month I was unsure what to do about proof of address.

I know I could get a letter of residence from immigration but that would need translating and I try to avoid a trip to Jomtien if I can.

I do 90 day reporting online so when it comes to printing off your next appointment there is an option to print off the information you gave to immigration.

I printed this off ( it's in English ) and it was accepted by the passport office. Job done.

Sorry if I've duplicated someone elses post, thought it may help.

• Like 1

Interesting, when they first introduced this system there were some major problems with providing a proof of address from what I've read, mainly because there often isn't really a proof of address in Thailand apart from some lease which anyone could print out.

The whole thing's not needed anyway as you have to go in person to apply and collect the passport - it's needless busy work for the pen pushers.

Interesting, when they first introduced this system there were some major problems with providing a proof of address from what I've read, mainly because there often isn't really a proof of address in Thailand apart from some lease which anyone could print out.

The whole thing's not needed anyway as you have to go in person to apply and collect the passport - it's needless busy work for the pen pushers.

HMPO is not looking for a proof of one's address to deliver anything, but instead, in their view, to help prevent identity theft.

According to HMPO - it is possible to prove one's name at an address in Thailand by provision of:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original

Not sure that is strictly the case....http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/854355-uk-passport-renewals-thailand/#entry9828412

I used a Visa service so I did NOT have to travel to Bangkok either to take in my old passport for renewal or to pick up the new one when it arrived back!

Ok, the fee for the service was 5,000 baht but I thought that was worth it to save me 2 days of travelling into and out of the city along with the skytrain etc.

Can anyone tell me please if go to the UK, my passport is full so I must renew it there, I have retirement visa will I be able to use it when I enter Thailand as I will have new passport but the visa is in the old one, thanks

Can anyone tell me please if go to the UK, my passport is full so I must renew it there, I have retirement visa will I be able to use it when I enter Thailand as I will have new passport but the visa is in the old one, thanks

You may in fact, have an "extension of stay based on retirement" in the passport which you need a re-entry permit to protect if you wish to retain.

Just show the old passport containing the extension of stay and re-entry permit on return and you will be stamped back in the new passport with date relating to your current permission to stay date.

On the the other hand if you really do have a valid "visa" it will remain valid in the old passport and can be used to re-enter the country.

Many people do not go themselves - either to submit or collect.

The address evidence is a challenge for many in Thailand but Liverpool do try to be helpful. In the OP's case it was Vfs Global, the processing agent, not the passport office that accepted what he submitted. The ultimate decision rests with Liverpool.

I do have their confirmation that, in the absence of the items listed by digitalchromakey, they will accept a signed statement from a wife/partner that you are living with them. As I said, Liverpool are not looking to put up barriers.