Cambodia "Over Stay" fee's / fine situation?

I have a friend who seems to have Over Stayed his Cambodian Visa by a couple of years, and has asked me if I know what the Fee's / Fine's might be and also his best option for clearing this situation up prior to leaving to return to Thailand...

Any and all information / suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated...

Pianoman

This post brings to mind a question I have had for awhile. Cambodia's easy visa situation has been known for awhile, but what about the consequences of overstay? Are they as draconian as those of Thailand? I'm speaking strictly in reference to the dire consequences which come if you are arrested for any reason during an overstay. In Thailand, you can end up being detained indefinitely unless you have help on the outside. Is the situation similar in Cambodia, or different?

They can certainly detain you for being in the country illegally. Whether they will do so, or do so for a while then deport, depends....both on the circumstances and also on how much you can pay, to be blunt.

As others have posted, fine is $5/day for first month then $6/day thereafter. Unlike Thailand, there is AFAIK no maximum.

So OP's friend is looking at a fine of probably over US $5,000 (depending on exactly how many "a few years" is).

He should calculate the amount, round it up generously and have this amount with him, in cash, upon his departure, and allow for extra time at the airport. And keep a low profile until then. There is no safe way of "clearing" it ahead of actual departure and any attempt to do so could lead to arrest.

This post brings to mind a question I have had for awhile. Cambodia's easy visa situation has been known for awhile, but what about the consequences of overstay? Are they as draconian as those of Thailand? I'm speaking strictly in reference to the dire consequences which come if you are arrested for any reason during an overstay. In Thailand, you can end up being detained indefinitely unless you have help on the outside. Is the situation similar in Cambodia, or different?

May be draconian,but most countries do it.Australia is straight on the next Qantas flight out.No going back and collecting personal items and stashed money.

It turns out that his Passport has also expired, so I strongly suggested that he go to his Embassy and admit to his Total and Obvious STUPIDITY, and then follow their advice to the letter... I only assume that he does not have the financial resources to pay that much, nor the ability to raise that much... I do feel sorry for him even though it is due to his own Stupidity, but about all I can due is offer advice and support (moral support, not financial) ...

Pianoman

The good news (sort of) for your friend is that Cambodia doesn't like to detain over stayers (it costs money they don't have). If your friend cannot pay - they will allow him to leave (as long as he makes some token reparation of some form) but what they won't do is allow him back into Cambodia ever again.

In 2014 I left Cambodia via Siem Reap airport. My one-month visa had expired. The entry ticket had been stapled next to it. The official uttered some sounds and was obviously in festive mood. I had to disappoint him by reminding him that he should flip over the page and inspect the one-year extension. Imagine a child unhappy on Christmas and you have an idea of the expression on his face.

The anecdote indicates to me that it wont be done alone by paying the official fee bu that officials will use their discretion and expect to be handsomely rewarded.

THUS, do not expect to exit Cambodia by simply paying an officially defined fine when overstaying as some people do in Thailand. You give yourself into the hands of those officials and they will take from you what they can.

It turns out that his Passport has also expired, so I strongly suggested that he go to his Embassy and admit to his Total and Obvious STUPIDITY, and then follow their advice to the letter... I only assume that he does not have the financial resources to pay that much, nor the ability to raise that much... I do feel sorry for him even though it is due to his own Stupidity, but about all I can due is offer advice and support (moral support, not financial) ...

Pianoman

Well he does indeed have to first get his passport renewed, can't leave the country (or enter anywhere else) without a valid passport.

Doubt that his Embassy can help him much on the Cambodian overstay part though...

It depends on whether they have his entry data in the computer. Normally, if the arrival/departure form has been lost (the card that they staple to the passport when you come in), they'll look for it electronically.

I am not sure when the system computerized. But if they can't find him in the system then they'll know he likely entered prior to then. And if they do find him, then they'll know when he entered. So either way I wouldn't count on this as an out.

My idea revolved around a different passport number and perhaps saving a bit of time (time to be paid for that is) - as you said we do not know when they started entering people and when he entered.

Given that he might face major trouble with officials, it might be prudent to talk to his embassy before facing Cambodian officials. This way they would know if he was apprehended and can render some service on their part. This the more so since he needs a valid passport in any case.

Lastly, he might do good not to try Koh Kong in case he does not know that already. I guess Poipet or Bavet might be the best options for an exit?

Poipet is a notoriously corrupt crossing. They'll have a field day with him there. They try it on even with people with no overstay or irregularity at all.

I'd suggest Pailin (Prum). Small, friendly and usually no funny business. Might also not be online though not sure on that point.

But wherever he goes, have plenty of cash on hand.

I suggested Poipet and Bavet because these are linked with PP assuming that the exit had been coordinated with his embassy and prepared by a fixer. Being stuck in Pailin might be a problem. Another out of the way place with little stuff is the Anlong Veng crossing into Thailand's Sisaket province. They are hooked up with PP for at least 7-8 years as is Osmach. Thus, I trust that all crossings are now part of the system.

If for nothing else this thread might serve as a proper warning to others.

Perhaps one avenue to explore: The press brings regularly nice photo opportunities showing Khmer policemen posing with their newly found foreign homeless friends. The latter are in the same over stay category. I never saw any reporting on sentences or the like. Perhaps some recalls a case an pose a link. This might provide some orientation.

Archived