Cambodia "Over Stay" fee's / fine situation?

pianoman

It depends on whether they have his entry data in the computer. Normally, if the arrival/departure form has been lost (the card that they staple to the passport when you come in), they'll look for it electronically.

I am not sure when the system computerized. But if they can't find him in the system then they'll know he likely entered prior to then. And if they do find him, then they'll know when he entered. So either way I wouldn't count on this as an out.

My idea revolved around a different passport number and perhaps saving a bit of time (time to be paid for that is) - as you said we do not know when they started entering people and when he entered.

Given that he might face major trouble with officials, it might be prudent to talk to his embassy before facing Cambodian officials. This way they would know if he was apprehended and can render some service on their part. This the more so since he needs a valid passport in any case.

Lastly, he might do good not to try Koh Kong in case he does not know that already. I guess Poipet or Bavet might be the best options for an exit?

Poipet is a notoriously corrupt crossing. They'll have a field day with him there. They try it on even with people with no overstay or irregularity at all.

I'd suggest Pailin (Prum). Small, friendly and usually no funny business. Might also not be online though not sure on that point.

But wherever he goes, have plenty of cash on hand.

I suggested Poipet and Bavet because these are linked with PP assuming that the exit had been coordinated with his embassy and prepared by a fixer. Being stuck in Pailin might be a problem. Another out of the way place with little stuff is the Anlong Veng crossing into Thailand's Sisaket province. They are hooked up with PP for at least 7-8 years as is Osmach. Thus, I trust that all crossings are now part of the system.

If for nothing else this thread might serve as a proper warning to others.

Perhaps one avenue to explore: The press brings regularly nice photo opportunities showing Khmer policemen posing with their newly found foreign homeless friends. The latter are in the same over stay category. I never saw any reporting on sentences or the like. Perhaps some recalls a case an pose a link. This might provide some orientation.

Archived