Brit arrested for theft at Phuket International Airport

snoop1130

....since when is ..... finding....... an unmarked (?) envelope .......containing money.......considered theft.....???

Since you "found " it and, knowing it is not yours, you took it.

Theft, in law, a general term covering a variety of specific types of stealing, including the crimes of larceny, robbery, and burglary.

Theft is defined as the physical removal of an object that is capable of being stolen without the consent of the owner and with the intention of depriving the owner of it permanently.

Maybe he was just borrowing the money

Maybe he was going to use it to pay his overstay

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact his dress leaves a lot to be desired is really not important, it is the fact he is British and has stolen something that did not belong to him pouts us all in a bad light. personally a few days in Bangkok Hilton should tame his attitude if not his sexual desires for some time to come .

Do you think they will take him to Bangkok?

Clicked thinking it would be another duty free scam, pick up an item walk 3 metres away inside store and get stiched up for "shoplifting".

Nope, good job RTP. The lowest of the low Farang scum and rubbish. Rot in gaol.

So you advocate rotting in jail for a small theft - what is next, hanging for driving on the wrong side of the road?

You hang 'em high brigade, the first ones to scream and shout about how you should be treated with leniency if you were caught doing something wrong.

If I do something wrong it is by accident. My job has me in airports all the time and I have found at least three passports in airports recently as well as wallets and mobiles. I turned them in . Is that so hard to do? People get distracted, with baggage, kids, documents, and passports. Does that give this guy a right to take their monies and then demand leniency?

By the way I left a Iphone6 plus at a an airline counter at LAX last year for just a few minutes, GONE. Similarily my passport fell out of my bag in Guam and an airport gardener who picked it up, who makes <deleted> money, refused my offers of compensation

This is a criminal, scum, if he is to vomit forth his anger and pustulence against his own people in "Englund" so be it. Let the authorities in the UK deal with him as they see fit, mollycoddling and making excuses for criminals whilst good people suffer losses with no compensation.

Thailand however should deal with such "tourists" especially harshly, to prevent others from coming to victimize the just and good. He should suffer and be made to rot in gaol.

Finder's Keepers Loser Weeper...

You are correct. He's a loser and now he's weeping.

Just to clarify... The "loser weeping" is the "finder"... Right?

Being as the finder / thief has been arrested and the money returned to the " loser" of said monies

So now everyone with a tattoo is a criminal?

I have several tattoos but have never stolen anything in my life.

I did find £30 pounds lying on the road years ago and told the local police station. They said keep it in an envelope and if no one claims it for 30 days it is legally yours. I did get it and happy days.

I wonder what the law is here for finding property. Hand it in to the local police and after 30 days its....No I doubt it!

kinda prone to ramble a bit are we ?

I think he has an informative point and is not rambling ...like you are even by using less words. What's your point?

What do you guys have against tattoos? Most of of wonderful armed forces personal get tattoos when away serving their country. Would you tell them to their faces that they're scum??

No, i would question their intelligence but since they are in the armed forces that would be missing anyway

Those Brits, good thing that the guy did not look like a foreigner otherwise we would have had 20 pages telling us it was not a typical Brit. Now that that is out they go for the fact he is wearing a wife beater and has tattoos. Funny thing, when one Thai does something you will hear people here on the forum always say its a Thai trait. Now that the shoe is on the other foot i hear only the sound of silence.

(not going after Brits but after the Thaibashing and generalizations)

People stereo type when trying to articulate their bigotry.

Suggesting one, possibly drunk, hungover, idiot without morals is representative of a nation is like suggesting all Dutch are dope heads in capable of rational thought. Or Americans all gung ho bully boys; or Greeks all lazy cheats. Hollywood images fuel the imagination.

It's as irrational as discrimination based on sex, race, religion, or color.

or all Dutch are as tight as a ducks arse!

What's wrong with us fully paid up bigots. Irrational is being all hot under the collar about free speech and then coming over all PC when someone expresses an opinion

....since when is ..... finding....... an unmarked (?) envelope .......containing money.......considered theft.....???

Do you operate on a type of 10 second rule. Anyone puts something down you think you are free to take it after 10 seconds?

He does have a point regardless of your imposed time limit.

Just as the saying goes, Most terrorists are Muslim, but all Muslims are not terrorists.....Many thieves have tattoos, but not all tattooed people are thieves........they used to be a badge of honor with the jailbird fraternity.

Now they have jumped into the mainstream of society by way of fashion, fashion comes and fashion goes but tattoos last forever....

I agree with a previous commentor..... finding an envelope full of cash surely cannot be theft. He is guilty of not handing it in????

He didn't physically take it from the Issam Barhoumi (who probably had a few dollars left from his Ladyboy adventure in Pattaya).

He should've asked the Bangkok Airways staff if the cash belonged to them, if they said no he could've maybe got away with it . Finders keepers! Issam Barhoumi is a buffoon.

If I find a 100 baht note on the pavement and pick it up..... am I a thief????

Anyone with tattoos and a vest should not be allowed into Thailand in the first place. Perhaps there should be a tickbox on the immigration slip that asks if the visitor intends to wear a vest.

Indeed finding the envelope full of cash, is not theft.... But opening it up and rifling thru it to extract the cash, before discarding said envelope, is definitely theft.

One would have to question the morals of a person espousing the old " finders keepers" deal... That's a child's mentality and should be left in childhood

The envelope should not only have been shown to the check in staff ( preferably their supervisor) but also left with them, and whilst it may be a loss to the ladyboys, as you suggest, that doesn't mean that it should be a criminals gain ( per earlier post and link to drug conviction)

The bloke who inadvertently left the cash was obviously distracted by something, and that hardly makes him a buffoon... I think you are being a little harsh there

As to your last comment about a checklist of things... Maybe your onto something there.... Wife beater shirts at home or beach or around the pool, no problem, but on an international air flight? Not acceptable dress standards in my view, and they are certainly not allowed in the galleys or mess halls in any of the places I have worked in the various corners of this world

At least, he did not take it all which shows some sort of decency!

I agree with a previous commentor..... finding an envelope full of cash surely cannot be theft. He is guilty of not handing it in????

He didn't physically take it from the Issam Barhoumi (who probably had a few dollars left from his Ladyboy adventure in Pattaya).

He should've asked the Bangkok Airways staff if the cash belonged to them, if they said no he could've maybe got away with it . Finders keepers! Issam Barhoumi is a buffoon.

Anyone with tattoos and a vest should not be allowed into Thailand in the first place. Perhaps there should be a tickbox on the immigration slip that asks if the visitor intends to wear a vest.

Are you naive, or just stupid, or maybe neither and you're having a laugh with us? Actually yes, if you find 100 baht on the pavement and you don't hand it in then it is theft. It's not yours, you make no attempt to determine the owner, thereby assuming ownership and you keep it, thereby permanently depriving the owner of it. That's a very simplified version of Theft in UK law, very similar to Thailand.

Under Thailand Criminal Law,

"Theft" is defined as dishonestly taking something that belongs to another person, and is punishable by up to three years in prison and/or a fine of up to 6,000 Baht.

"To commit an act dishonestly" means to do an act in order to procure, for himself or the other person, any advantage to which he is not entitled by law;

The dishonesty is in not making any attempt to trace the owner and keeping the money, which procures an advantage, 100 baht, to which you are not entitled.

As I previously posted. I could quote the definition of theft from numerous other countries, which would be very similar, but what's the point, we're in Thailand and here this man committed THEFT! He found the money, which was not his, he made no attempt to determine to whom it belonged and he was just about to jump on a plane with it. Guilty m'lud!

not that I don't agree with you - but what do you expect me to do when I find 100 Baht on the street?

send loudspeakers around? have a trip to the lost and found?

Ask everybody I see ?

Better just leave it there - too much hassle

200 $ would be different, of course

Are you naive, or just stupid, or maybe neither and you're having a laugh with us? Actually yes, if you find 100 baht on the pavement and you don't hand it in then it is theft. It's not yours, you make no attempt to determine the owner, thereby assuming ownership and you keep it, thereby permanently depriving the owner of it. That's a very simplified version of Theft in UK law, very similar to Thailand.

"Theft" is defined as dishonestly taking something that belongs to another person, and is punishable by up to three years in prison and/or a fine of up to 6,000 Baht.

"To commit an act dishonestly" means to do an act in order to procure, for himself or the other person, any advantage to which he is not entitled by law;

The dishonesty is in not making any attempt to trace the owner and keeping the money, which procures an advantage, 100 baht, to which you are not entitled.

As I previously posted. I could quote the definition of theft from numerous other countries, which would be very similar, but what's the point, we're in Thailand and here this man committed THEFT! He found the money, which was not his, he made no attempt to determine to whom it belonged and he was just about to jump on a plane with it. Guilty m'lud!

not that I don't agree with you - but what do you expect me to do when I find 100 Baht on the street?

Ask everybody I see ?

My suggestion would be to scan the area, and if nobody looked like they had lost 100 baht, or no cop was at hand (that could be deemed as an attempt to locate owner), then I would consider takeing it and putting it in a goodwill donation box of some sort.... But I would not put it in my wallet, just in case there's a scam going on.

I don't think that either unreasonable or moralistic.... Just the right thing to do

As an aside... This mans tatts have nothing to do with the issue, although I read somewhere that 40% of convicts sport tatts, but then, so does my baby sister.... The wife beater tank top has its own place, which is not on an international flight, inflicting armpits on adjacent seat occupants... Disgusting and disrespectful, but that's just my opinion... His nationality is irrelevant too... But what is relevant is the crime, and any other suggestion is deflection or misdirection for some other agenda

Ask everybody I see ?

Amateur ! one looks down at the note and shouts excitedly 'Ah ! there you are i've been looking all over for you''

When a decent person finds valuables/passports/mobiles in an airport one immediately gives to airline staff or police.

so that they can nick it instead

It's up to the individual to do what's right.... If the cop pockets it, he's doing wrong, and so be it.... It's out of your control.

But the more people who do the righty, the better the world we live in

theft or no theft thats in question...the envelope was not directly taken from him off someone else...well he just kept what he found...also illegal but minor...this is the tricky legal side

BUT did anyone thought here about the real owner...wants to change money and forget the bag ( happened once to me and I was giving it back by the counter stuff ) It was such a relief for me because it was all my funds including the airticket back home ....SO ALLWAYS GIVE BACKWHATEVER YOU FIND ....THERE IS AN OWNER OF THESE THINGS AND HE WILL BE HAPPY TO RECEIVE IT BACK 320 US not so much for some alot for others BUTEVEN I FIND A 10 BHAT coin AND I FIGURE OUT THE OWNER HE WILL GET IT BACK REGARDLESSWHAT......

legal half legal or not...there is someone who is missing his stuff and imagine this someone is you....people always dropping things unaware phone cards credit cards etc...their mind is on the sourrounding they are not aware and in holiday mood....so no matter what see somebody drop something walk over pick it up and hand it to him with a smile sure u made his day.....and if not dont worry the right action never is wrong.....

Actually it's called theft by finding. A person must make all reasonable attempts attempts to locate the owner which means lodging property with authorities and if it isn't claimed by the right full owner within a specified period of time then the finder can legally keep it.

every moment of this life flow it is acting, motivated actions many thousands througout a single day....so act the right way at this moment ...something right at one situation might be wrong in another...but dont look away never....

advice like that can get you killed here. Never interfere with someone else's karma

A heavily tattooed Brit traveling in that outfit is a thief? No way! Heavily tatooet visitors to Thailand should be screened for criminal records before entering the country.

As a convicted drug dealer he would have failed any such screening.

Does Thailand really want convicted Drug traffickers around even as Tourists? Don't know if Thailand is up to speed on this stuff but some countries have done more in terms of info sharing. Americans with as little as a drink driving conviction are routinely barred from entering Canada. Japanese on a list if organized crime associates can't travel to America, etc.

Archived