Can I use a Sat Dish for Grammy which has been used for True before?

Lammbock

Yes.

Both True and GMMz are on the Thaicom 5/6 orbit at 78.5 east.

And the frequency range of the LNB is the same too (Ku band).

http://www.lyngsat.com/Thaicom-5-6.html

The orbit is unchanged at 78.5 as long as I deal with satellite reception in Thailand.

Only that new satellites (5 and 6) have been positioned.

We have Truevisions and we had CTH so two dishes (they don't face in the same direction). After falling out with CTH, and needing Premier Football, we bought one of those GMMZ packages (box and 4 months package). We took it home and tried plugging the cable from each dish in to the GMMZ box. ..no success. We had to ring GMMZ anyway to activate the package so the wife explained that we had a Truevisions dish but it didn't seem to work with the GMMZ box (the wife didn't mention our CTH dish for obvious reasons). The GMMZ phone operative explained how to tune the GMMZ box to work with the Truevisions dish...success. Now when we wanted to watch GMMZ or Truevisions we just take the truevisions aerial cable out of one and put it in the other...takes seconds. So long as you have someone who can speak thai to work through the installation of the GMMZ box (takes a few minutes) you won't need any engineer.

It's quite a while that we connected a new GMMz box to a dish.

BUT: connect cable, switch on, device auto configures (free channels).

Zero effort in configuration.

We have two older GMM boxes with which wife and daughter view all the free Thai channels.

I can not help with info on paid subscription and all the mess/chaos of GMM vs. CTH (I am completely on the internet also for TV).

Some of the chaos is described here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/885184-gmm-z-pay-tv-package-termination-service-ending-message/

It is possible to call GMM, get some "payment reference number" (derived from the set-top box serial?) and pay at 7/11 (e.g.).

That's all the vague information I have.

Never noticed any Thai pay TV operator that is not on the Thaicom satellite.

Maybe someone will proof me wrong.

Ok thanks.

How can I contact Grammy to order the Box and choose a package? Is it possible that they connect it for me by sending a engineer?

GMMZ have stated that they are terminating their service shortly and have advised existing customers to call 1619 or 1629 to get a refund or new box from CTH.

Ok, thanks for all your information.

I guess I have to contact CTH. I saw that they even provide cable service.

I read somewhere that CTH were getting out of the cable business even though they are called Cable Thai Holdings! Don't believe everything you see on Thai websites as invariably they are way out of date and can't be asked to update them.

I cancelled with CTH some time ago and of course they didn't collect their box or dish (or return my deposit). Can i use the dish for anything else? it faces north east.

Ouch!

Just noticed that CTH is transmitting from a completely different satellite than True or GMMz.

They are using Vinasat 2, a Vietnamese satellite at 132° east.

They rented the majority of transponders on this satellite.

http://www.lyngsat.com/Vinasat-2.html

Detailed channel list for CTH on this satellite:

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/CTH.html

There is little to no content free-to-air which is of interest for foreigners on this satellite.

(Thai language, Vietnamese or encrypted)

The dish could be re-positioned to Thaicom but not much free-to-air content either.

(not an easy job for a layman, paying a technician might cost more than the dish)

The dish could (then) be used with another pay TV set-top-box.

it faces north east.

Believe me: it's south east biggrin.png

No geostationary satellite north east of Thailand. Only down under you see them north.

I don't mean to go Off Topic.....but who is taking over the ELP from March.......... just want to get prepared .

Thanks

No one knows which pay tv provider will be screening the EPL football after this season ends.

All that is known is that BeIn sports have the rights and currently have one channel on True visions which obviously won't be enough for coverage on a Saturday when there are often 8 games.

True obviously have the capacity to accommodate more channels if they strike a partnership with BeIn.

Archived