Ranong Border run Jan 2016

Border run was pretty smooth the other day. We left Chumphon shortly after 05:30 and got back before 13:00.

A couple of things to note.

- you need 2 (two) copies of your passport photo page. Previously it was 1. The second copy goes to Myanmar immigration.

-They are renovating the entire pier there, and are putting new offices there. I don't know how many booths will be there, I hope at least 3 for departures and 3 for arrivals.

post-109486-0-41117500-1454447950_thumb.

- more strict at all the checkpoints to/from Myanmar on the boat. They've been requiring the actual use of the life vest for a while now. But some of the officials are actually counting / spot checking passports.

- we all had to stand in line in Myanmar immigration and hand the $10 bill and copy individually.

No questions at all from Thai immigration officers on exit or entry....no one had any overstays in our group. I was prepared with a copy of son's birth certificate just in case.

Price for the whole minivan trip was still the same (1100 baht r/t from FAME or 650 baht if you already have $10 USD bill).

Note: I don't know how to make a thumbnail image, so the entire image is loading.

post-109486-0-28413300-1454447952_thumb.

post-109486-0-72393100-1454447954_thumb.

post-109486-0-43832300-1454447957_thumb.

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 2

Have been to Ranong on the 10th Jan. Took my car from Phuket. No Vans to bee seen at the pier (11am !) Immigration was absolutely quiet and friendly. Took a boat ( 500B for me and wife ), no more passengers.

Was asked for 40 Bath to clear customs by the boat guy (?). Fast round trip, again no foreigners to be seen.

I assume Ranong cannot be used for visa exempt entry, but if you wanted another entry on an existing multiple entry visa of some kind, that would be no problem. Can anyone confirm?

Has anyone tried a Ranong border hop with a reentry permit? Presumably possible but rare.

Edited by BritTim

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine did an extended border run himself at the Saphan Pla pier last week. It cost 40 baht to park a sedan at the PTT gas station for 4 hours or so. Now I'm not sure if it is just hustlers or if they are authorized to supervise the parking lot. But it is the closest place to park so I suppose for 40 baht it wasn't going to kill anyone.

To cross the water, you can either pay 50 baht/head and wait for a longtail boat to fill up (mostly Burmese), or pay 100 baht per person and go immediately. (One way). They will push for 100 baht, but that might not be a bad idea. Sometimes the boats with Burmese, they will be inspected much more carefully at the military checkpoints (making everyone get out of the boat). A boat that has only foreigner passengers are more likely to be waived through or less hassle.

There is an option to pay 300-ish baht for whole boat and the boat supposedly will wait for you.

You get to Myanmar immigration office in Kawthaung and you hand them a copy of your passport, $10 USD (new looking, no tears, creases, marks, etc). They will ask how long you will stay and since they were only staying a few hours, they gave them back the copy of their passport with something stamped on it and held the passport at the office until you return.

If you were staying overnight or for a longer time....would they have given you the passport back?

100 baht for a longtail ride back, unless you want to stack up with burmese. Especially the ride back to Thailand, it might be best to go solo or with foreigners-only. In any case, have exact change for each leg of the boat ride.

Are kids exempt or get a discount from paying the $10 visa fee in Burma? If so, what is the age limit?

Edited by 4evermaat

• 6 months later...

Anyone know if thai immigration in ranong are still asking for work permit if you're on a multiple entry non b visa? A couple of years ago I didn't have wp with me and immigration wouldn't let me leave. My work permit just expired and I won't have it renewed in time. Multiple entry non b Visa is still valid. Thank you!

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, altmtl said:

I was wondering... I am going to Thailand Jan. 10th, 2017 - on a single entry visa - after 60 days can I renew it for another 30 in Burma ? Ranong/Kawthaung ?

Thanks

You would only get a 15 day entry unless you are from a G7 country or one that has bilateral agreement for it.

It would not be a renewal of your visa.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, altmtl said:

I was wondering... I am going to Thailand Jan. 10th, 2017 - on a single entry visa - after 60 days can I renew it for another 30 in Burma ? Ranong/Kawthaung ?

Thanks

You should note that you cannot do a border hop for a visa exempt entry at most border points with Burma. You likely still can at Ranong, though there have been isolated reports of problems even there.

• 2 weeks later...

To do an out-in border run in ranong with multiple entry visa it is no problem. For Visa Exempt entry (15 or 30 days for most countries), they may limit the total back-to-back entries. It might be as little as 1 out-in before they want you to obtain a fresh tourist visa. You may want to switch it up to the Andaman Club.....but they also discourage non ME visa holders.

A friend i knew tried to do a 2nd back-to-back Visa Exempt stamps at Andaman and was questioned for 15 minutes in the backoffice. And then was presented with a workaround.... It certainly explained the other reason the ATMs are so conveniently located.

Chumphon immigration office (to do extensions) may request an express fee of 1k baht or delay/refuse 30 day extension of Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa. But i think ranong immigration office (to do extensions) there is no extra fee.

So pick ur poison.

• 1 year later...

Any updates on this? I would like to do it at the end of the month, travelling from Koh Phangan.

Does anyone know:

- If I arrive at Donsak at 7.30am would I be able to get back for the last boat at 6pm?

- I have no visa-exempts in my current passport, but 3 60 day tourist visas already - so there shouldn't be any problems?

- Is there a company which arranges the whole trip there and back (from Donsak) - or will I have to go it alone?

Cheers