Don't feed the homeless, warns Bangkok Administration

webfact

Don’t feed the homeless, warns BMA

ho.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Officials from Bangkok Metropolitan Administration have been criticised following the construction of a sign warning against giving food to homeless people.

The sign which was displayed outside City Hall asked people for their cooperation in not giving food to homeless people in the Lan Khon area of Bangkok.

There are thought to be more than 100 homeless people staying in the area with local charity groups regularly handing out food, water and other supplies.

BMA officials said they put up the sign following a large number of complaints from local residents about the homeless population.

Local police have been called on several occasions to investigate claims of littering, damage to property and antisocial behaviour, which local residents say has been caused by the homeless group.

A photograph of the sign was posted to social media with those commenting accusing the BMA of being ‘callous’ and urged local officials to help the homeless people rather than prevent them getting access to free food and water.

Following the criticism, BMA chiefs have confirmed the sign has now been removed and have said they will begin discussions with local residents, charity groups and police on how best to deal with the homeless people.

Officials also said that people can continue to give food to the homeless and that they are also looking at the providing a designated area where the homeless people can go to receive food and water.

Source: Sanook News

tvn.png
-- 2016-02-03

How compassionate, don't feed the bloody soi dogs would be more appropriate. Give food to monks who don't need it to 'make a merit' but sod the really hungry!

so when was the last occasion you did something for the needy/hungry ?

i give something to one and hope some gives something to the other,

i sure could not afford to give to them all,

as much as i would like too. having hunger pains in

2016 is totally unnecessary ,

and if they are game enough to ask for a hand out, i am sure not going to question that,

for what little it would cost me,

...'littering'........very hard to find garbage cans in town sometimes.....

...meanwhile.....monks receive carts full......each....daily.........

....bottom line....don't blame and condemn the homeless......

...help them.......

The hiso's will rather feed a look thep than feed a homeless person. There is no BMA funded homeless shelters, very few (not enough) shelters for the disabled, very few (if any in BKK) privately funded shelters and no government social safety network, so what must these people do ? Why don't the BMA start to treat the problem instead of acting like ass......

Are these "homeless" people Thais ?

Many "homeless" people have problems with alcohol or mental illness these issues have to be addressed before a solution can be found.

I have no problem with providing food/water but money should never be donated to individual beggars.

Are these "homeless" people Thais ?

Many "homeless" people have problems with alcohol or mental illness these issues have to be addressed before a solution can be found.

I have no problem with providing food/water but money should never be donated.

i concur with food only or water, juice

How compassionate, don't feed the bloody soi dogs would be more appropriate. Give food to monks who don't need it to 'make a merit' but sod the really hungry!

The monks redistribute the food to anyone that wants it.

They also will provide housing for anyone that asks.

Thai or foreigner, all are welcome.

It's a good system, so why try to bypass it?

...help them.......

Nothing is what it seems in Thailand. There was a woman who would sit on the pavement with her kid and collect 500 baht then pack up and go home. Her husband had a FT job in the construction industry. Her family were probably making more money than the people donating to her.

The trick is to empty the cup every 15 minutes or so ,so it looks like you have very little.

Some 'homeless' people in busy areas are making as much as farang English teachers.

...help them.......

Nothing is what it seems in Thailand. There was a woman who would sit on the pavement with her kid and collect 500 baht then pack up and go home. Her husband had a FT job in the construction industry. Her family were probably making more money than the people donating to her.

The trick is to empty the cup every 15 minutes or so ,so it looks like you have very little.

Some 'homeless' people in busy areas are making as much as farang English teachers.

Would you have us deny all because the existence of the scammer? There for the grace of God go I and the majority of English teachers in Thailand do not have a degree unless they bought is so it should be Shhhhhh about English teachers in Thailand

Archived