Don't feed the homeless, warns Bangkok Administration

webfact

...'littering'........very hard to find garbage cans in town sometimes.....

...meanwhile.....monks receive carts full......each....daily.........

....bottom line....don't blame and condemn the homeless......

...help them.......

Nothing is what it seems in Thailand. There was a woman who would sit on the pavement with her kid and collect 500 baht then pack up and go home. Her husband had a FT job in the construction industry. Her family were probably making more money than the people donating to her.

The trick is to empty the cup every 15 minutes or so ,so it looks like you have very little.

Some 'homeless' people in busy areas are making as much as farang English teachers.

Would that be similar to the English guy begging in London who goes home in his BMW? Happens everywhere, not just here ......

If the BMA had any fortestanal fortitude and 50% morals they'd erect soup kitchens so that these poor devils can get a decent feed , one can only hope that what comes around goes around and those including the BKK Governor that issued this directive fall on hard times and find themselves in the gutter on Silom.................................coffee1.gif

How compassionate, don't feed the bloody soi dogs would be more appropriate. Give food to monks who don't need it to 'make a merit' but sod the really hungry!

Yes but even the Monks are complaining, The public are giving them the wrong type of food, To many sweet things, ist making them fat.

This applies to Russian tourists who traipse around on some of the worlds most dangerous roads with very young children.

You saw Stick's video clip of Russian family walking with young children in the middle of a buzy road in Phuket too? Were they really broke tho? Maybe they were protesting high tuk tuk cost in Phuket?

Does anyone actually pay attention to the BMA ?

You should, if you're a smoker and running between Suk Soi 1 - Soi 19.

The BMA cigarette butts police is there out in full force.

They have now been technically upgraded with in-ear intercoms.

Targets are tourists and foreigners.

2000 Baht fine.

Also around BTS On Nut, opposite from Lotus Tescoo they are operating.

I don't hand over money. I have, at my discretion, given food or in a couple of cases, sat an obviously distressed and hungry person in a restaurant and paid for their meal. Some of these people have serious mental issues and can't care for themselves. However, most Wats have excess food and do have outreach programs for feeding the desperately poor and hungry. You have to take it on a case by case basis. But I never give ฿฿฿ which just ends up in some mafioso's pocket.

But this global war against the homeless and hungry I really don't understand, especially in a Buddhist country.

Just take at look at major cities in the US like SF, LA, NY, and Seattle. Heck, they make it illegal to help the homeless. But then on the flip side, if you're homeless and the cops arrest you, at least you get 'three hots and a cot' for a couple of days.

...'littering'........very hard to find garbage cans in town sometimes.....

...meanwhile.....monks receive carts full......each....daily.........

....bottom line....don't blame and condemn the homeless......

...help them.......

Nothing is what it seems in Thailand. There was a woman who would sit on the pavement with her kid and collect 500 baht then pack up and go home. Her husband had a FT job in the construction industry. Her family were probably making more money than the people donating to her.

The trick is to empty the cup every 15 minutes or so ,so it looks like you have very little.

Some 'homeless' people in busy areas are making as much as farang English teachers.

Great see a rational comment in this ocean of ignorance and whinging.

And another sensible comment made about the gangs that run many beggars - and take a big cut.

Invite them all to beg at your place and maybe then you will see what is real - seeing the world from the internet aint real.

After a few months, getting rid of them will be exactly what you would want too.

People should be able to help the poor, thai gov certainly won't help them.

Charitable entities & the authorities should provide rescue for the TRULY needy. But the moment govt gets involved, the scenario becomes overwhelmed by fraud & abuse, and just one big racket on the backs of mostly gullible, naive taxpayers who swallow the whole 'War on Poverty' scam hook, line & sinker.

At least here in Thailand the beggars, for the most part, sit calmly on the curb offering up their cups with a smile, and if you choose not to contribute, there's no fear of a confrontation or assault. Not always the case in other parts of the world. But why the religious institutions of a nation so supposedly steeped in a religion whose principles include service to those in need can't accept some responsibility for getting these people off the street is a mystery.

Reminds me of when I go to Liverpool. The beggars say got any spare change mate.

I always reply, of course I have chuckle and walk on, never gets old but that may be my sense of humor.

Seriously don't encourage beggars. The money always goes on during or drugs.

Reminds me of when I go to Liverpool. The beggars say got any spare change mate.

I always reply, of course I have chuckle and walk on, never gets old but that may be my sense of humor.

Seriously don't encourage beggars. The money always goes on during or drugs.

what sense of humour?

No one INTENTIONALLY CHOOSES to be homeless! Maybe they've made bad choices, had bad luck, have addiction issues, etc., but they are still human beings!!! Florida arrested a man repeatedly for feeding homeless until his actions received social media attention, then the tables turned and he was given the accolades he deserved.

Thainess strikes again?

"Local police have been called on several occasions to investigate claims of littering, damage to property and antisocial behaviour, which local residents say has been caused by the homeless group."

No....that's caused by every <deleted> one of you who are native to this country. Oh, I forgot, chucking your rubbish out the car window isn't littering. Putting your phone on speaker in public places for all to hear or waking everybody up at anytime with your yappy dogs, loud music or fog horn gob IS social behaviour.

Cretins.

I think there should be a distinction between beggars and the homeless. Many homeless people have mental problems and cannot function in a normal society. Yes the homeless do beg, but they are not the same as those who work for the organised gangs

The problem of homelessness exists in all cities around the World. Is there any difference between the BMA putting up 'don't feed' signs (after all as it has been pointed out they can get a feed at the local wat) or putting spikes in then ground and on benches in sheltered places where the homeless like to sleep, as many local councils have done in the UK?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/23/anti-homeless-spikes-inhumane-defensive-architecture

While it's easy to condemn this as a heartless action, it is a copy of what the Malaysian government announced in 2014:

"KUALA LUMPUR: Soup kitchens will no longer be allowed to operate within a 2km radius of Lot 10, which covers a large portion of the city centre, effective immediately, said Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor.

"This activity just encourages people to remain homeless and jobless. There have been many such people whom we have found jobs for, who returned to that life because they said it is easier, ..." "

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2014/07/03/soup-kitchens-banned-around-kl-city-centre/

A volunteer group in my company's office there were threatened by legal action, and the expats with deportation, should they continue helping out at any. I don't have the answers I'm afraid, but do know that uniform Thai bashing isn't one of them. I'd like to see the reaction from some of the sanctimonious posters above should a homeless shelter and soup kitchen be built next to their houses. Somehow, I don't think it would be along the lines of "thank god, now I can go out and help feed hundreds of these people every day, and all that urine will certainly be good for the garden!"

From my rudimentary Thai reading skills I cannot see any reference to homeless people on the sign??

Why is the story slanted in this direction of attacking the homeless when the sign simply says no food distribution in this area, much like in many other prohibited places?

Yep great attitude "don't feed them and they will all die off soon enough"

Real humanitarians they are

Aye, setting a good example there, aren't they...

They should have added, "if you have extra food/rice, please store it in our warehouse so it can rot with the billions tons we have there already...."

----

Nearly expecting a new campaign from BMA soon: "let's beat the homeless so they go off our streets" facepalm.gif

Archived