Bupa health insurance - Can anyone share their experience?

iammarilou

I am planning to enrol in one of Bupa's Platinum Plan in the next few days. I was just wondering if anyone has tried/still is using Bupa and are they worth it? Their plans are kinda expensive so I want to know anyone's experience using it. Are they really helpful or easy to deal with?

I have lived in Thailand 30 years and have been with BUPA 12 years.

Seriously ill a couple of years ago and no problem at all with payment.

You just show your card when you enter hospital and its all taken care of.

It makes serious sense to have health insurance here.

I come from the UK where most health care is free (even though waiting times are a hassle in some parts of the country) so its a bit of a shock for some people when they get sick or have an accident and have to pay (a lot) for treatment.

Can't compare prices of other companies but I know BUPA have a good name in the UK and I have no complaints about their service here.

I have BUPA Platinum and have had for years. No problems with reimbursement to date but I have used it on only 3 occasions with the first one being several years after I first got the policy -- with BUPA and indeed most insurances there is an initial waiting period for some conditions/procedures and claims in the first year get extra close scrutiny, especially if for something likely to have pre-existed or had pre-existing risk factors.

There have been many past threads on this subject, both in the health forum and the insurance forum. I suggest you do a search in google for BUPA + thaivisa.com (sometimes works better than the forum search function)

That said, BUPA's policies contain a disturbing clause that allows them to not renew you at will if they decide you have become "high risk". I have not directly heard of this happening to anyone after developing a serious chronic illness, but it could and insurance regulations in Thailand allow for it. For which reason, and especially if you are older and/or would not have any options in terms of moving back home should you become chronically ill, it is better to get an internationally issued policy the contract of which guarantees you renewal for life as long as premiums paid and no fraud on your part (and yes, international policies do usually state that, with not "at will" clause like the Thai policies). However, an international policy will cost more than BUPA, often substantially more, though several have options for deductibles and copays that would lower the premiums a bit.

No matter what policy you get, rates will go up as you age. Some policies raise them annually. BUPA does it in 5 year increments which can come as quite a shock especially when you cross a 5 year bracket near to or after age 60.

On the other hand, of course, you are also much more likely to be using the insurance as you get older. Even if you stay relatively healthy there will be things like periodic colonoscopies etc, which they will cover, and let's face it, as you age inevitably you will sometimes get sick.

BUPA can also raise your premium up to 30% when you try to re-new if you make too many claims (however they do not tell you about this up front). How many claims is too many? They won't tell you. My first renewal was hit with a 25% increase. However, my second renewal was the same price as the original policy because I made fewer claims. There is no way around the potential percentage increase come renewal time if you wish to keep your policy.

And as with all insurance companies, you might have to battle them to reimburse a claim at some point.

Are you certain the increases had to do with claims? As this has not been my experience. I did however experience increase of about 30% after a year with no claims (in fact, no claims for several years running) because I crossed from one 5 year age bracket to another. This is more likely what happened to you.

(Not all age bracket increases are of a 30% magnitude - at younger ages especially the increases may be smaller but as you get up in age, the 5 year increases are indeed large).

I'm with BUPA International. Outpatient only (Myself through work, Wife and Son through me at approx £1700 per year, with a £500 deductible)

When researching I saw that BUPA Thailand have 'capped' limits. i.e. if something were to seriously happen you'd find yourself running out of cover. Be very careful when choosing the cover you require.

However, I have found that over the past two years BUPA International have raised their premiums by 12% each year, something which I find excessive and unfair - I may consider changing to a more reasonablypriced cover. I'll have to start researching again.

All policies have a cap.

But most BUPA Thailand policies have caps that are ridiculously low relative to actual costs for medical care here. Only the Platinum Plan is worth having and that should be Platinum 5.

International policies on the other hand have much higher caps than one would ever be likely to need here. (Note though that international caps tend to be per year while BUPA Thail;and's are per incident).

Are you certain the increases had to do with claims? As this has not been my experience. I did however experience increase of about 30% after a year with no claims (in fact, no claims for several years running) because I crossed from one 5 year age bracket to another. This is more likely what happened to you.

(Not all age bracket increases are of a 30% magnitude - at younger ages especially the increases may be smaller but as you get up in age, the 5 year increases are indeed large).

No... It was because of claims... Nothing to do with an age bracket increase. We discussed this on the forum about a year ago and I even attached a picture from their legal department highlighting their right to do this. I am sure it can still be found through a search.

• 2 months later...

I'm with BUPA International. Outpatient only (Myself through work, Wife and Son through me at approx £1700 per year, with a £500 deductible)

When researching I saw that BUPA Thailand have 'capped' limits. i.e. if something were to seriously happen you'd find yourself running out of cover. Be very careful when choosing the cover you require.

However, I have found that over the past two years BUPA International have raised their premiums by 12% each year, something which I find excessive and unfair - I may consider changing to a more reasonablypriced cover. I'll have to start researching again.

You may wish to consider LMG Pacific Health Insurance. I left BUPA after 20+ years, a few weeks before my 65th b'day, because of their excessive premium hikes. Luckily i did so prior to my 65th as that is the cut off for LMG, as an extensive physical exam had to be completed and submitted to obtain approval prior to turning 65. FWIW

• 3 months later...

You may wish to consider LMG Pacific Health Insurance. I left BUPA after 20+ years, a few weeks before my 65th b'day, because of their excessive premium hikes. Luckily i did so prior to my 65th as that is the cut off for LMG, as an extensive physical exam had to be completed and submitted to obtain approval prior to turning 65. FWIW

I remain with BUPA through work, however, in light of BUPA's price hikes I researched and found alternative plans for my Wife and Son. I'm happy with the level of cover and satisfied with the costs.

Son (2.5 yrs old): AXA (International Exclusive - World Wide except USA) - Includes outpatient treatments and medicine. Yearly treatment cap 74 Million baht.

Yearly Premium: 44,000 Baht.

Wife (38 yrs old): MHS (Asia Care Plus Plan 2 - Asia Cover, for treatment Accident cover world wide) - Includes outpatient treatment and medicines up to 32,000 baht. Yearly treatment Cap: 32 Million Baht.

Yearly Premium: 47,000 Baht.

Edited by richard_smith237

Bupa is excellent. Very helpful. Highly recommend.

Is it ???... Are you with BUPA Thailand ? or BUPA International ?

BUPA International direct billing is a bit of a mess... it takes hours to 'check out' - although I haven't actually used the alternative insurance yet.

I just switched my Wife and Son from BUPA International as I felt the hike in premiums over the last couple of years was excessive.

The renewal quote for my Wife was £2000 (with a £500 excess, In patient Only) - They wouldn't cover my Son on his own Policy until after 6 years old, I couldn't have him added to my BUPA International Policy as its a 'group policy' through my company.

BUPA Thailand wanted 68,000 Baht to cover my Son !!... a little excessive IMO.

So... I'm not all that enamoured with BUPA (International or Thailand)...

Edited by richard_smith237

I have insurance with William Russell, a UK based international health insurance company. My premium is 2230 GBP a year, in-patient only with 1000 GBP excess. My age is 62 and the premium jumps in cost every 4 years

I know its a lot but it gives me peace of mind that I am covered anywhere in the world (excl US) and that it will also pay for UK in-patient costs, which many people will have to pay themselves these days unless they actually return to live in the UK.

BUPA International direct billing is a bit of a mess... it takes hours to 'check out' - although I haven't actually used the alternative insurance yet.

I just switched my Wife and Son from BUPA International as I felt the hike in premiums over the last couple of years was excessive.

The renewal quote for my Wife was £2000 (with a £500 excess, In patient Only) - They wouldn't cover my Son on his own Policy until after 6 years old, I couldn't have him added to my BUPA International Policy as its a 'group policy' through my company.

I am with Bupa Thailand and I don't have any problems with them for 8 years. However I have noticed that people from the West writing on this forum have problems almost with all aspects of their lives.

I am with Bupa Thailand and I don't have any problems with them for 8 years. However I have noticed that people from the West writing on this forum have problems almost with all aspects of their lives.

To assist with this thread...

- What is your Age?

- How much is your yearly premium with BUPA Thailand ?

- Does your cover have a yearly cap ?

The best cover I could find for my Wife and Son with BUPA Thailand was Platinum - which had a treatment cap of 5 million baht per year.

I wasn't comfortable with these capped treatment limits as I've had friends who's emergency treatment in Thailand has exceeded this.

Additionally, I have had an emergency whereby the treatment costs exceeded this (Medivac + Singapore hospital stay).

You may not have had any problems for 8 years, because any treatment you have received has been within limits - but this may not always be the case if you were to find yourself in an unexpected and extremely unfortunate and long term medical emergency.

People will balance the Annual Costs vs Level of Cover, they will also be more inclined to go with a more reputable company such as BUPA, which is a big name with an excellent reputation, however, I personally have found that the 5 Million Baht treatment Cap to be insufficient...

With a better level of cover at more competitive premiums there are alternatives which are not capped to such a degree.

- AXA and MHS (which I have chosen for my Son and Wife respectively).

People from the West writing on this forum have problems almost with all aspects of their lives.

- This comment is pretty much irrelevant to this thread.... which is specifically related to 'people planning and avoiding problems'...

my employer provides our health insurance and for years was bupa. 2 years ago they gave Bupa the flick and now use global health.

was in hospital for 3 days last week (1.5 days in ICU and 1.5 days in ward 9. Bangkok Pattaya Hospital) total was 150k and global health covered it without issue

Pupa has been BRILLIANT, My girlfriend and myself have coverage and we have used it numerous times and they have covered more then we expect4ed and have done so in a very timely manner. I hear my friends continually complain about the other companies and some of them now are with Bup and happy they have done so. And actually its not expensive if you compare what it might cost you back home.

Pupa has been BRILLIANT, My girlfriend and myself have coverage and we have used it numerous times and they have covered more then we expect4ed and have done so in a very timely manner. I hear my friends continually complain about the other companies and some of them now are with Bup and happy they have done so. And actually its not expensive if you compare what it might cost you back home.

You meant to type Bupa not Pupa, right?