Thai border market vendors torpedo crackdown on counterfeits

webfact

The police lost face here...

My guess is next time the police will be back with the Army, they should seal the boarder first, then implement road blocks around the market, then raid the market, not only checking for fake goods but also ID's and Work Permits.

That should return a little happiness to some people scratching a living at the bottom of the economic pile.

Nobody buys "French Perfume" at a border market and believes it is the real thing.

If you are in the market for fine cosmetics you don't go shopping for them in a border market.

It does no harm whatsoever to the French Perfume Industry.

Now if they were shipping it to Paris, and trying to pass it off as the real thing....

Counterfeiting costs legitimate firms billions of dollars a year. They spend a lot of money to create the brand, only to have it ripped off. Most counterfeits are made here in Asia, with the vast majority coming from China. Counterfeit products can and have caused lots of damage.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and just what is the difference between a Fake and a Replica item ?

many years ago visited a factory of a world famous T-shirt manufacture and the end of the Tour you could buy a T-shirt, there were 2 options full price or a fraction of the price ones.. the Two I bought were the ones made at that factory but sold as replica/fake, 20+ years on there still great T-shirts, so last as long as the genuine ones..

It is not as if people in these Markets in Thailand are selling them as a genuine articular or price, myself do not see the problem.

Bought about 20 years ago a genuine watch, cost £ 75....... years before bought a world famous Replica much cheaper, the Replica still looks good and works fine, the genuine one has been repaired twice and is now not working + at least 10 years newer !! so not all Fake/ Replica items are bad, or fall to bits within days...

There again just myself would not buy anything Tech or electrical or spirits [don't drink]

Last time I went to the Cambodia Border [maybe 7 years ago] Cigs were 90 baht for 200, there is no way I would expect them to be the same as the same make @ 4 times that amount in a local shop.

My guess is next time the police will be back with the Army, they should seal the boarder first, then implement road blocks around the market, then raid the market, not only checking for fake goods but also ID's and Work Permits.

Why?

many years ago visited a factory of a world famous T-shirt manufacture and the end of the Tour you could buy a T-shirt, there were 2 options full price or a fraction of the price ones.. the Two I bought were the ones made at that factory but sold as replica/fake, 20+ years on there still great T-shirts, so last as long as the genuine ones..

It is not as if people in these Markets in Thailand are selling them as a genuine articular or price, myself do not see the problem.

Bought about 20 years ago a genuine watch, cost £ 75....... years before bought a world famous Replica much cheaper, the Replica still looks good and works fine, the genuine one has been repaired twice and is now not working + at least 10 years newer !! so not all Fake/ Replica items are bad, or fall to bits within days...

There again just myself would not buy anything Tech or electrical or spirits [don't drink]

Last time I went to the Cambodia Border [maybe 7 years ago] Cigs were 90 baht for 200, there is no way I would expect them to be the same as the same make @ 4 times that amount in a local shop.

A man after my own heart.

I bought a fake Seiko watch in China in 2007 and it loses about 1 second per year and is still going strong.

It is just like an airline seat. The first 10 are sold for peanuts just to get the plane in the air and then after that everything is profit ratio designed.

Stating the obvious...the Cambodians are not afraid of the Thai police...I admire their spunk and collective action...

If the Thai police would arrest all the Thais involved in nefarious commerce...all merchants in Thailand would likely be jailed...

Clean up the messy scams by your own people...the Cambodians may not let you off so lightly the next time...

That should return a little happiness to some people scratching a living at the bottom of the economic pile.

Nobody buys "French Perfume" at a border market and believes it is the real thing.

If you are in the market for fine cosmetics you don't go shopping for them in a border market.

Now if they were shipping it to Paris, and trying to pass it off as the real thing....

Counterfeiting costs legitimate firms billions of dollars a year. They spend a lot of money to create the brand, only to have it ripped off. Most counterfeits are made here in Asia, with the vast majority coming from China. Counterfeit products can and have caused lots of damage.

The only problem with this is the Nike golf ball.

Nike manufacture nothing, they just badge.

They buy balls from whoever that will sell under another brand name for a dollar and then stick their Nike tick on it and charge ten dollars. Same ball, nothing fake.

The french can't help putting their nose in where it is not wanted.

Of course criminals don't want anyone stopping them.

I would guess the French embassy might have been involved because a lot of the fake goods bore the names of French companies.

Other countries have been trying to combat this as well.

A better method might be the same as is being used in the fishing and aviation industries. Put real pressure on so something gets done.

Stating the obvious...the Cambodians are not afraid of the Thai police...I admire their spunk and collective action...

If the Thai police would arrest all the Thais involved in nefarious commerce...all merchants in Thailand would likely be jailed...

Clean up the messy scams by your own people...the Cambodians may not let you off so lightly the next time...

I have lived & worked in Cambodia. Do not upset them by taking or stealing their items.

I saw a guy one day get both legs broken because he tried to steal a pushbike.

When the mob strikes the thief prays for the police to come & rescue him.

In all my dealings with the Khmers I found them to be wonderful people.coffee1.gif

Of course the vendors could do the honest Buddhist thing and just sell items with their own name on them couldn't they. As you say nobody believes it's the real thing so why bother stealing the name? That way there wouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you the answer to that.

I have lived & worked in Cambodia. Do not upset them by taking or stealing their items.

I saw a guy one day get both legs broken because he tried to steal a pushbike.

When the mob strikes the thief prays for the police to come & rescue him.

In all my dealings with the Khmers I found them to be wonderful people.coffee1.gif

They clearly aren't so concerned about stealing from others.

It's a good job they don't know about the Patpong and Sukhumvit Road street markets.

Most of the stuff you see in any Bangkok market usually comes from Rong Kluea. They act as wholesale for all the fake stuff, and the street market distributors go there to source.

Fake booze kills many every year. As does fake medicines. Fake products are involved in many problems. I know a guy who got a fake bike part. It broke, causing him to crash and ended up in the hospital. These fakes are not made to the same standards as the originals. Plus, it's not fair to the company who's products they are copying. Illegal, actually.

It's a good job they don't know about the Patpong and Sukhumvit Road street markets.

Oh I'm sure they do.

I should imagine that the people who operate there are better connected, and better integrated into the "informal tax collecting system"!

They should really concentrate their efforts on the manufacturers of these counterfeit goods, not the low level market stalls that sell them.

The manufacturers of these counterfeit goods will be exporting these products all over the world by the container load. The market stall operators will be selling a tiny number of items compared to the manufacturers.

Talk about going after the low hanging fruit. There are massive factories churning out this crap by the truck load every hour. Why the interest in impoverished market stall holders ?

Well I'll be darned, clean up your own backyard b4 trying to clean others.

Try looking around the famous BK markets that are full of counterfeits, what a joke.

Maybe this is why the now decide to arrest the old people playing Bridge in Pattaya, not much chance of the oldies fighting back?

The didn't arrest the OAP bridge players - just the dastardly ringleader!
seems from newer reports that they did arrest them all.

Ok. The report I read didn't say that. But due to the high level of excitement over this crime, no doubt conflicting information can be expected.

Successful common sense western style thinking not allowed! TIT!

600+ years and still great difficulty thinking outside the square? sad.png

Archived