Thai border market vendors torpedo crackdown on counterfeits

webfact

DSI chief Pol Col Paisit Wongmuang said Wednesday that the person or persons who might have hired the Cambodian workers to assault DSI officials and to disrupt their performance of duty would face stiff actions to set an example for the others who may follow suit.

Aaah! the Cambodians were hired to MAKE the police look bad, it's all a plot against the Bib. I wonder who pays to make them look bad the rest of the time.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Legal action? Simple, cancel the visa and send the Cambodian workers back to Cambodia. Of course I suspect hundreds of them just walk over the border every day at places other than the checkpoints. And of course the Thais that run the shops and pay the Cambodia tiny wages won't like losing their cheap labor

They should really concentrate their efforts on the manufacturers of these counterfeit goods, not the low level market stalls that sell them.

The manufacturers of these counterfeit goods will be exporting these products all over the world by the container load. The market stall operators will be selling a tiny number of items compared to the manufacturers.

Talk about going after the low hanging fruit. There are massive factories churning out this crap by the truck load every hour. Why the interest in impoverished market stall holders ?

Two reasons: it increased the value of selective unenforcement, viz., protection tea money, and it goes through the motions of appearing to take action against intellectual property theft while leaving the elite factory owners unscathed since the items at the market have already been paid for.

They should really concentrate their efforts on the manufacturers of these counterfeit goods, not the low level market stalls that sell them.

The manufacturers of these counterfeit goods will be exporting these products all over the world by the container load. The market stall operators will be selling a tiny number of items compared to the manufacturers.

Talk about going after the low hanging fruit. There are massive factories churning out this crap by the truck load every hour. Why the interest in impoverished market stall holders ?

because they ain't impoverished. But I do get what your saying about the factories. A lot of which are in Cambodia!

The police lost face here...

My guess is next time the police will be back with the Army, they should seal the boarder first, then implement road blocks around the market, then raid the market, not only checking for fake goods but also ID's and Work Permits.

Come on Basil, that means using "Common Sense"

Something that does not happen in Thailand.

Would it be enough though, to ward off mini-van, brush beating, window breaking "mobsters"... that skip away when the dastardly deed is accomplished?

The police lost face here...

My guess is next time the police will be back with the Army, they should seal the boarder first, then implement road blocks around the market, then raid the market, not only checking for fake goods but also ID's and Work Permits.

That should return a little happiness to some people scratching a living at the bottom of the economic pile.

Nobody buys "French Perfume" at a border market and believes it is the real thing.

If you are in the market for fine cosmetics you don't go shopping for them in a border market.

It does no harm whatsoever to the French Perfume Industry.

Now if they were shipping it to Paris, and trying to pass it off as the real thing....

Are we really to believe the - cough - Thai and Cambodian authorities really want to stop the manufacturing, cross border transportation and sale of these goods?

Better yet, does anyone really think that this extremely lucrative operation - run by very influential people and corrupt officials - is going to stop?

Money talks, as it does everywhere in both countries. And in this case, there's a hell of a lot of it to be made.

Yes, it will continue. A bit of face was lost, but that is

nothing new for the BIB. This story will do the famous

Thai fadeaway in pretty short order.....

"It said about 400 Cambodian laborers then surrounded the police..."

Hmmm...how did they know they were Cambo and not Thai?

Wouldn't many Thai people in that area have Khmer heritage?

Do Thai laborers really dress that differently from Cambodian laborers?

Why is the market full of Cambodians? How do the authorities know they were all Cambodian and not Thai? It's not as if they had time to check everyone's IDs. Shouldn't Thais be working the markets this side of the border?

Note: I'm not actually asking. I'm pretty sure this is another racist/xenophobic Thai slanted article.

Archived