Thai border market vendors torpedo crackdown on counterfeits

webfact

French perfume industry, pfff !

seriously, how many customers that buy the fake perfumes would buy the real thing for ten times the price?

Fair point. I know it's copy fake but people who buy it aren't in a position to buy the real very expensive stuff. And people who do buy the real McCoy would never buy the fake stuff either.

Two very different markets.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

French perfume industry, pfff !

seriously, how many customers that buy the fake perfumes would buy the real thing for ten times the price?

At 10 times the price you have a captive audience. The world is full of dumb people and each generation gets dumber. Read the Jimmy Kimmel video clip when he asked passer bys whether they wished to congratulate North Korea on exploding an H bomb. And to think these people are physical able to reproduce.

50 cops raid a Bridge club in Pattaya and 12 DSI raid Rong Klua market, must have got the assignments mixed up...wai2.gifcoffee1.gif

Who would you sooner face - a bunch of blue rinse OAP's or 400 angry Cambodian market traders?

No doubt campaign ribbons will be awarded for that daring raid on those ruthless card sharps.

When the cops do a raid, 50% of the goods are kept for evidence

and 50% are sold back to the suppliers.

Its a nice earner for the BIB.coffee1.gif

You're speaking with real evidence, right? Sure you are.

Experience & Knowledge

Years ago when I first came to Thailand the copies were all part of the fun. I bought plenty of clothes, watches etc. I'm not the copyright police so I couldn't care less.

These days even the real thing is usually made in China much cheaper but still see the companies still charge the same price.

The police lost face here...

My guess is next time the police will be back with the Army, they should seal the boarder first, then implement road blocks around the market, then raid the market, not only checking for fake goods but also ID's and Work Permits.

That should return a little happiness to some people scratching a living at the bottom of the economic pile.

Nobody buys "French Perfume" at a border market and believes it is the real thing.

If you are in the market for fine cosmetics you don't go shopping for them in a border market.

It does no harm whatsoever to the French Perfume Industry.

Now if they were shipping it to Paris, and trying to pass it off as the real thing....

Counterfeiting costs legitimate firms billions of dollars a year. They spend a lot of money to create the brand, only to have it ripped off. Most counterfeits are made here in Asia, with the vast majority coming from China. Counterfeit products can and have caused lots of damage.

That is some serious BS you have here lol...

Aye, we would not want those multi trillions companies to lose some market shares in the border market or Cambodia LOL...

Better oppress some of the poor 99% to show them who is the master....

Big corporations exploiting the poor anyway..

And no one around those markets could buy the real thing anyway..

Not a lot of people in Asia (BKK and big cities excepted) would watch US and European movies if it wasn't for fake copies....

What disgusts me the most in this event is the fact that reps from the French Embassy were there...

Protecting interests of the paymaster were they?

and just what is the difference between a Fake and a Replica item ?

many years ago visited a factory of a world famous T-shirt manufacture and the end of the Tour you could buy a T-shirt, there were 2 options full price or a fraction of the price ones.. the Two I bought were the ones made at that factory but sold as replica/fake, 20+ years on there still great T-shirts, so last as long as the genuine ones..

It is not as if people in these Markets in Thailand are selling them as a genuine articular or price, myself do not see the problem.

Bought about 20 years ago a genuine watch, cost £ 75....... years before bought a world famous Replica much cheaper, the Replica still looks good and works fine, the genuine one has been repaired twice and is now not working + at least 10 years newer !! so not all Fake/ Replica items are bad, or fall to bits within days...

There again just myself would not buy anything Tech or electrical or spirits [don't drink]

Last time I went to the Cambodia Border [maybe 7 years ago] Cigs were 90 baht for 200, there is no way I would expect them to be the same as the same make @ 4 times that amount in a local shop.

Fake booze kills many every year. As does fake medicines. Fake products are involved in many problems. I know a guy who got a fake bike part. It broke, causing him to crash and ended up in the hospital. These fakes are not made to the same standards as the originals. Plus, it's not fair to the company who's products they are copying. Illegal, actually.

That's true but then you look at the companies like Pfizer and it's little wonder that their products are being ripped off ( but it would be better if the ripoffs were done under proper controls rather than just another money scam).

What happened to the French agents when the rocks and bottles began to fly?

I hope there were no reports of injuries smile.png

They threw down their briefcases and surrendered. (sorry had to say it)

Or legging it, tout de suite ( as I would be)

The police lost face here...

My guess is next time the police will be back with the Army, they should seal the boarder first, then implement road blocks around the market, then raid the market, not only checking for fake goods but also ID's and Work Permits.

That should return a little happiness to some people scratching a living at the bottom of the economic pile.

Nobody buys "French Perfume" at a border market and believes it is the real thing.

If you are in the market for fine cosmetics you don't go shopping for them in a border market.

It does no harm whatsoever to the French Perfume Industry.

Now if they were shipping it to Paris, and trying to pass it off as the real thing....

...or shipping it to certain airlines and passing it off as duty free?....

Counterfeiting costs legitimate firms billions of dollars a year. They spend a lot of money to create the brand, only to have it ripped off. Most counterfeits are made here in Asia, with the vast majority coming from China. Counterfeit products can and have caused lots of damage.

That is some serious BS you have here lol...

Aye, we would not want those multi trillions companies to lose some market shares in the border market or Cambodia LOL...

Better oppress some of the poor 99% to show them who is the master....

Big corporations exploiting the poor anyway..

And no one around those markets could buy the real thing anyway..

Not a lot of people in Asia (BKK and big cities excepted) would watch US and European movies if it wasn't for fake copies....

What disgusts me the most in this event is the fact that reps from the French Embassy were there...

Protecting interests of the paymaster were they?

It's not just big companies. It's small ones also. Oppress 99% of the poor? Seriously? Wow...I've worked for many big corporations and don't know of one that exploited the poor. But everybody has their own opinion.

Why would a poor person want to buy a knock off perfume bottle? Because they can, because somebody made some dodgy stuff, put it in a look alike bottle, and is selling it for cheap. Too lazy to come up with their own design and brand. Greed and corruption.

It is illegal. And does hurt innocent people. No BS here. Methinks you'd sing a different tune if you'd sank your life savings into a product, only to see it copied in a market like this.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633295-transnational-organised-crime-flows-generate-90-billion-annually-unodc/#entry6308406

"It looks at how criminal enterprises have developed alongside legitimate commerce and taken advantage of distribution and logistics chains. It offers estimates of values to prompt public debate and makes recommendations to address these problems," said Chawla.

Many of the organised criminal activities outlined in the Report can have serious global health implications.

"Between one-third to 90 per cent of anti-malarial drugs tested in Southeast Asia are fraudulent: They do not contain what they say they do. Sub-standard drugs have two serious public health consequences: One: people get sicker or die; Two: drug-resistant strains can develop - as we now see with anti-malarials - and cause a global health threat," said Jeremy Douglas, UNODC Regional Representative, Southeast Asia and the Pacific.

"These transnational criminal activities are a global concern now. Illicit profits from crimes in East Asia and the Pacific can destabilise societies around the globe. Dollars from illicit activities in East Asia can buy property and companies and corrupt anywhere. We need to talk about this, and organise a coordinated response now. It takes a network to defeat a network," Douglas added.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/09/27/news/economy/counterfeit-goods/index.html?iid=HP_LN

The global trade in counterfeit goods is booming, and it's shifting from relatively innocuous items like shoes and handbags to things like medicine and pesticides that can carry serious health and safety implications.

Thai police can not use there guns. Fire a few shot in the air and watch what happens. The Thai police do not make enough money to do there in a situation like this. They only have energy to drug test farangs and get tea money!

They should really concentrate their efforts on the manufacturers of these counterfeit goods, not the low level market stalls that sell them.

The manufacturers of these counterfeit goods will be exporting these products all over the world by the container load. The market stall operators will be selling a tiny number of items compared to the manufacturers.

Talk about going after the low hanging fruit. There are massive factories churning out this crap by the truck load every hour. Why the interest in impoverished market stall holders ?

The higher-ups are probably too well connected to touch (which is no excuse), and this crowd showed the cops that they are no longer 'low hanging fruit'.

What to do? What to do?

Run away!

It'll take a battalion of Marines to go in there next time.

Very similar to the phony "War on Drugs" - get the delivery guy or street corner kid - never a kingpin. A complete failure at billions spent per year on it.

Archived