BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

British-led Card Room raided by officials in South Pattaya

You just cant make stuff up like this.

No one would believe you.

Senior citizens playing bridge raided by 50 police!thumbsup.gif

Mr. Jeremy Watson aged 74 from UK was detained for further questioning...

with a hob-nob and a cup of tea.

As everyone had only 13 cards each, no law was broken. Just get 8 people to take away one deck after playing. Problem solved.

Playing cards for fun and not for money or reward is not gambling. The police racked their brains to come up with a charge so that they did not lose face and came up with the possession of more than 120 cards per individual is against the 1935 Law. However, I doubt whether the public prosecutor will accept this case as no individual held more than 120 cards.

You could not make this up.crazy.gif

You don't need to make it up here.

Right. The army makes it up, and then invokes section 44.

A perfect example of Thais not understanding why duplicate bridge is not gambling. Better involve the British embassy, give them something to do with their time.

This actually made the national TV news, even had the police video. A bunch of confused old folks playing Bridge.

Unclear what crime was committed, anyone know?

The offense relates to Section 8 of the Playing Cards Act of 1935 which states that an individual is not allowed to possess more than 120 playing cards at any one time. At the Bridge event, considerably more than 120 playing cards were found by officers.

120 cards were found in total. That's completely different from each player possessing 120 cards each.

It's ok to trivialise it, but what starts off as 1 or 2 hands a night can soon reach 6 or 7, or in some cases even more. I hope they get locked away for a very long time.

Sounds like you need to get out more.

This actually made the national TV news, even had the police video. A bunch of confused old folks playing Bridge.

The offense relates to Section 8 of the Playing Cards Act of 1935 which states that an individual is not allowed to possess more than 120 playing cards at any one time. At the Bridge event, considerably more than 120 playing cards were found by officers.

I don't see the problem here except for the number of officers involved in the arrest. These people are criminals who broke the law. They knew they were committing a crime but obviously thought as affluent foreigners they were above the law or were too culturally insensitive to care. If you live in a country you should follow its laws and customs regardless of whether you agree with them or not. If you do not want to do that face the consequences or go somewhere else. I bet many of these would be the first to whine about foreigners in their on country flaunting the laws and refusing to conform to cultural norms.

120 cards were found in total. That's completely different from each player possessing 120 cards each.

Are you having a personal attack on me?

You changed your original post.

Glad to know the wording of the law now. Both big German card games, Skat and Doppelkopf, are played with less than 120 cards. We're safe :-P

When we went across the border to Laos last year, with several Thai friends, they all bought playing cards. I thought it strange, but apparently, they are closely controlled here. Ridiculous. The police should be ashamed. Massive crime just down the street and they go after this.

Sad state of affairs right now. Police are going after any and everything just to make money.

They are available in my local Family Mart, but they are behind the counter with the cigs and booze. They even have a tax sticker like the cigs and booze.

Ridiculously expensive too. 500 for a pack IIRC.

Congratulations, rewards and promotions all round as the authorities have finally neutralised the infamous and highly dangerous Over The Hill mob.