British-led Card Room raided by officials in South Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I for one am grateful to the RTP.

Finally I can now leave my house again to get drunk, have sex with prostitutes and ride my motorbike home without a helmet and not be put at risk by these foreign animals who put us all at risk with their behaviour.

Oh my god, playing bridge is illegal here? Whoda thunk.

But seriously, this is really really PATHETIC. Let's wait for this to hit the international press, especially in the UK. Thailand, the military and the RTP are going to look like total fools, and rightly so.

this is oh so ridiculous and completely inappropriate.

I hope someone can make an official complaint to the chief of police, the Mayor of Pattaya and to the central powers in Bangkok.

The police should be ashamed !!!

all hooligans!

hahahahahahaha.

I understand gambling is illegal. Sometimes gambling involves cards but this is clearly pathetic.

I suspect this story will be published in UK and Aussie newspapers. Many 'oldies' will think again before retiring to this "gambling den"! Playing Bridge! what next? Snap maybe? or even Patience !!!

There is a bridge club running in Chiang Mai, has been going for years and was thinking of joining. Now glad I didn`t.

I suppose technically anywhere where there are groups of people playing cards on a regular basis, even if not for money but the fact that there are cards involved could be classified as a gambling house. In Thailand people that run and organise such events should take advice first, because in Thailand never take anything for granted and why I would not become involved with the running of clubs or groups here.

This actually made the national TV news, even had the police video. A bunch of confused old folks playing Bridge.

Unclear what crime was committed, anyone know?

The offense relates to Section 8 of the Playing Cards Act of 1935 which states that an individual is not allowed to possess more than 120 playing cards at any one time. At the Bridge event, considerably more than 120 playing cards were found by officers.

The law says "per individual"......not per group.

I have a feeling this is going to make more than the national Thai news.

Yes, it would reassure all those potential tourists, who fear Thailand for its rape, murder, road accidents, boat accidents, and corrupt police. At least they are protected from card wielding grannies!!!

This actually made the national TV news, even had the police video. A bunch of confused old folks playing Bridge.

Unclear what crime was committed, anyone know?

The crime of being farang.

I can almost imagine the mind of the person tipping off the police.

"This is my country and these people can afford to have fun when I can't, it''s just not right." Damn farang terrorists trying to take over our country..

Here's a tale from my days in the shipping business.... Machine gets imported and with the machine comes all sorts of tools for the engineers to put it together. One of the engineers had his deck of cards in the toolbox as he always does... Skat is very popular among Germans during lunch breaks.

Illegal import of playing cards. Entire shipment stuck in customs. Major upheaval, no partial release even though it was technically several imports and everything was triple and quadruple checked to look for more violations of Thai laws....

Just one of the reasons I stopped importing & exporting from Thailand.....It was a bloody nightmare and I never had playing cards.

Archived