British-led Card Room raided by officials in South Pattaya

webfact

HERE ARE SOME FACTS.

You are confident about all these "facts" based on what exactly?

I'm particularly curious about the detail of the large number of players who had their passports confiscated plus 5000 baht.

Do they all have both of those back, OR NOT?

If not, do they have to go to a court date about the case, OR NOT?

Are they being charged for something, OR NOT?

Is the players case unrelated to the club runner's case?

How do YOU know for certain?

I attended the police station, along with all other players on Sun/Mon, to receive an apology. We will be refunded the 5,000b and have passports returned, when the court paperwork is undone.

For the Nth time, the bridgepayers WILL NOT BE GOING TO COURT. All charges regarding the players en masse HAVE BEEN DROPPED.

Yes, the 120 cards/card tax matter is unrelated. We have genuine grounds for challenging that.

An apology and a handshake would have solved the whole thing but the BIB have dug their heels in like a pit

bull with a bone in its mouth. Again they are trying to save some small remnant of face here. Thailand is a tourist centre for God's sake walk away you lost your face is on every dart board in the world. The 120 cards/card tax matter is just so much petty BS. There is a slight chance you will win in your petty mind and of course the sympathetic court system here but in the face of the world not so much. Being a tourist mecca the police should have a certain amount of decorum but it is truly lacking here. Training training training lacking entirely. Who said the wild wild west/east was dead.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, thanks Nova.

With so much on this, that is the first I have heard regarding what I assume is there defiantly will be no court case from someone in the know.

What happened was totally outrageous, particularly as if true that the Police and "others" had to dig deep into their law books to find and outdated law to "trump Up" charges against the players.

This seems akin to a medieval witch hunt based on false allegations, lucky they did not get out the ducking stool or it modern equivalent the water board to get confessions.

And thanks to Pattaya One for bringing us the story.

" there defiantly will be no court case" I like it! In fact, I definitely like it!

As I pointed out in another thread Spellcheckers have an IQ of zero.

and I did qualify that statement with "I assume"...

I still like it!

Doesn't matter what Thailand does now, the damage has been done, the authorities are now reloading the gun to shoot the other foot which already has so many holes in it.

Actually it doesn't matter what damage TVF posters say and HOPE has been done, there really hasn't been any that will make the slightest difference in anything except maybe to the very few who play bridge, temporarily.

Internationally, the few who read of the incident may smile or cluck but still won't be put off from coming to Thailand for the usual reasons, one of which isn't to play bridge. It doesn't matter if a few claim they'll change their vacation plans. I know a perfect example of a guy who swore he'd never return to Pattaya 'cause of this and that, the usual list. But guess what--of course w/o mentioning his earlier vow. smile.png

Sorry but the hysteria just reflects the usual sense of farang grandeur and hopes for punishment of the stupid, wicked Thais, partly out of bigotry. (Partly.) You wanna see REAL hysteria and measure the accuracy of predictions of "shooting in the foot," you have to go back more than a decade.

Ruling out the foreigner was a 17-page "killing the goose" bash fest, grandaddy of them all, in 2003 prompted by the news that after many years Thailand would dare raise visa fees! OMG. THIS WAS IT. The teeth gnashing, the hair pulling, the knickers twisting; the ranting, the wailing, the screaming, the anguish, the shock, the confusion, the accusations of insanity, and of course the dire prophecies! No one would be left to shop in the malls, no one would buy condos, bar girls would disappear, and Thais would all have to return to work in rice paddies. Back to the Stone Age! Oh, it was gonna be a thousand million times worse than later prophecies of the total destruction of Pattaya tourism by widening Beach Road. Go read the thread and laughor cry.

I guess Thais don't read TVF or don't get the memos, as construction continued unabated on Siam Paragon (2005) and Central World (2006), both confidently predicted to fail upon opening, just like, later on, Pattaya's Big C Extra and CentralFestival Pattaya Beach.

Nah, from a macro perspective, not even the tiniest blip on radar. Suck it up.

The thais couldn't give a flying fukc really.

They never have in the past. So there is no reason to suspect they will now.

And the tourists keep coming and if they get really desperate they lower the air fares real low and just rip the tourists off more when they arrive.

"Here are the facts" poster "Neither the police nor the army raided the club. The raid was conducted by DOPA"

Who are the guys in Army uniform then at 0:52 in this video?

At the time I thought they were from the military. I repeat, they are really from DOPA.

Posted on a bridge site:

Chodchoy Soponpanich, president of the Contract Bridge League of Thailand (CBLT) and staff held a meeting with the Interior Ministry and the matter appears to be resolved.

A message from a representative of the CBLT to Gianarrigo Rona [President of the World Bridge Federation] follows:

I have just returned (with the President of CBLT and staff) from a meeting with the Interior Ministry regarding our Gambling laws and the regulations of the National Sports Authority (NSA) and the matter has been resolved that for the time being all the players/groups contact CBLT and let us know the regular schedule of play and venue so that CBLT will produce a letter that will be sent to the local authorities in each vicinity…

In the meantime, they are helping us draft a letter to the NSA to include in the regulations that CBLT will be able to give permission to all our members/clubs/schools/ universities etc. to play for the promotion and practice of the sport, bridge. This process will take about a couple of months. Once that regulation is formal, we will be automatically be “out” of the gambling law…. (and we will be teaching bridge to the legal department of the Ministry !!)

Posted on a bridge site:

Chodchoy Soponpanich, president of the Contract Bridge League of Thailand (CBLT) and staff held a meeting with the Interior Ministry and the matter appears to be resolved.

A message from a representative of the CBLT to Gianarrigo Rona [President of the World Bridge Federation] follows:

I have just returned (with the President of CBLT and staff) from a meeting with the Interior Ministry regarding our Gambling laws and the regulations of the National Sports Authority (NSA) and the matter has been resolved that for the time being all the players/groups contact CBLT and let us know the regular schedule of play and venue so that CBLT will produce a letter that will be sent to the local authorities in each vicinity…

In the meantime, they are helping us draft a letter to the NSA to include in the regulations that CBLT will be able to give permission to all our members/clubs/schools/ universities etc. to play for the promotion and practice of the sport, bridge. This process will take about a couple of months. Once that regulation is formal, we will be automatically be “out” of the gambling law…. (and we will be teaching bridge to the legal department of the Ministry !!)

After reading all the legal mish mash in this article I can now understand why the Pattaya police have a backlog of 600 cases. I am amazed it is not a lot more. Its time the police invested in a BS separator a priority selector if they ever want to be taken seriously and treated with respect. They have to quit acting like a bull in a china shop the buffoonery has to stop. They want tourists to come in droves but have no modem of understanding of Western culture. Yes I know this is Thailand but if Thai's want tourism to flourish they have to understand how the Western and European and other cultural minds work tick etc. Its just not happening.

Archived