British-led Card Room raided by officials in South Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to spoil your fun but my wife called me to the TV this morning to watch this news item. A LOT of money was found on the premises which is why there were 50 friends and helpers investigating.

Its a restaurant, they sell food and drink. Most of any money would be theirs.

The rented space would contain no money related to the bridge players since its duplicate bridge, played by almost every country in the world, where there is no gambling involved.

There might have been a small amount that is collected before the game from each player to pay expenses.

I imagine (and hope) that you are correct. The fact remains that there must be a compelling reason for over 50 police to have turned up.

... there must be a compelling reason for over 50 police to have turned up.

Mate, sorry, but this is naive. It is plainly obvious that this was done at the behest of a thick plodder, possibly trying to prove a point, possibly trying to arrange photo ops to impress higher-ups (the backlog of cases fiasco, perhaps?). Just imagine how thick you would have to be to even think about carrying out something like this without considering the consequences - imagine it, and there you have your average Thai copper. They used 50 cops to raid the place - and 100 cops to raid a small nightclub in Bkk under the glare of the media (photo ops again) - but only 10 to bust a major drug cartel, in which the principals escaped (yet again!). No, no compelling reason, just rank stupidity yet again. Sorry. Not trying to have a go at you - just utterly fed up with the cops here to the point where nonsense incidents like this and the political situation are pushing me to the edge and making me want to sell up and go home after 26 years.

This actually made the national TV news, even had the police video. A bunch of confused old folks playing Bridge.

Unclear what crime was committed, anyone know?

The offense relates to Section 8 of the Playing Cards Act of 1935 which states that an individual is not allowed to possess more than 120 playing cards at any one time. At the Bridge event, considerably more than 120 playing cards were found by officers.

I don't see the problem here except for the number of officers involved in the arrest. These people are criminals who broke the law. They knew they were committing a crime but obviously thought as affluent foreigners they were above the law or were too culturally insensitive to care. If you live in a country you should follow its laws and customs regardless of whether you agree with them or not. If you do not want to do that face the consequences or go somewhere else. I bet many of these would be the first to whine about foreigners in their on country flaunting the laws and refusing to conform to cultural norms.

That`s right, they find it hard to swallow the bittersweet pills.

They think what they are doing in only trivial and that the Thai police are too stupid to take any notice. In England being arrested for playing a friendly game of cards would seem ridiculous but in Thailand they take serious issue with these activities. if the going gets tough the tough should clear off if they don`t like it.

I do expect some likes for this post, otherwise my feelings are going to be hurt.

This actually made the national TV news, even had the police video. A bunch of confused old folks playing Bridge.

The offense relates to Section 8 of the Playing Cards Act of 1935 which states that an individual is not allowed to possess more than 120 playing cards at any one time. At the Bridge event, considerably more than 120 playing cards were found by officers.

120 cards were found in total. That's completely different from each player possessing 120 cards each.

Are you having a personal attack on me?

You changed your original post.

Don't take it too personal, he's just had a go at me too.

These poor old folks just don't know the rules.

A regular card game runs in the woods 50 metres from the back of my residence.

When I first saw it I joked that I would tell the police if the organiser didn't pay me 500baht.

They laughed and said that the police had already been paid!

When the red-tops get hold of it it will be another great advert for this:

Malaysia My Second Home - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While no money might have been on the Bridge tables and no money was being played for, playing for prizes is considered as gambling and that seems to be what occurred here. We can debate the seriousness of offences and the police numbers involved for ever but the reality is that Thai laws were broken and someone could have and should have checked beforehand.

I really don't know where to start with this one!!

After coming here for the past 15 years (living here for 14 of them) I have seen so many ridiculous and stupid things, and in the early days used to find some scenarios intriguing.

This one though has truly taken the biscuit!!!!

The real problem though isn't the old folk playing an innocent game of bridge, nor is it the number of officials and resources used in this, "raid" (although the second point is clearly overkill).

The problems here are;

1) there was a tip off regarding foreign criminal activity which had to be followed up (no matter how ludicrous) or loss of face appears.

2) there was a good chance of extracting money from the OAP's for committing the heinous crime.

3) someone in authority has authorized the, "raid" and in Thai culture nobody is allowed to question that decision.

4) the authorizing person got an idea in his / her head, and absolutely no thought went into it before or after authorizing the, "raid".

If you pay attention to anything in Thailand, from any form of construction, public services, management, etc, etc, etc, you will notice that the above four problems occur on a daily, hourly, and minutely basis in one way or another.

What this particular case has managed to do is grab the attention of the the nation (and hopefully much further afield) and highlight the gross stupidity that is taking place here on a regular basis.

How come they are still playing cards in the photos? One cop is standing there smiling watching them play..

What a joke.

That's the re-enactment.

Keep that traveling bag packed and watch out "Foreign Devils", whoever you are.

The biB were probably enraged because 1) no money was involved, 2) they weren't invited, 3) there was no body in a coffin in the background biggrin.png

Is this a way to treat pensioner and their fat retirement funds? It's all rather sickening...given what happens in this country.

While no money might have been on the Bridge tables and no money was being played for, playing for prizes is considered as gambling and that seems to be what occurred here. We can debate the seriousness of offences and the police numbers involved for ever but the reality is that Thai laws were broken and someone could have and should have checked beforehand.

and the case was handled proportionately and discreetly, an officer called in and warned them that an obscure law which nobody really takes seriously could land them in trouble,even though they were aware that they had been doing this since 1994 it would be better if they stopped now and entertained themselves in the bars and whore houses like everyone else.

" The offense relates to Section 8 of the Playing Cards Act of 1935 which states that an individual is not allowed to possess more than 120 playing cards at any one time. At the Bridge event, considerably more than 120 playing cards were found by officers."

If you would have bother to read the full story on Pattaya One...

The key words here are '120 playing cards' and 'per person'.....

I really don't know where to start with this one!!

After coming here for the past 15 years (living here for 14 of them) I have seen so many ridiculous and stupid things, and in the early days used to find some scenarios intriguing.

This one though has truly taken the biscuit!!!!

The real problem though isn't the old folk playing an innocent game of bridge, nor is it the number of officials and resources used in this, "raid" (although the second point is clearly overkill).

The problems here are;

1) there was a tip off regarding foreign criminal activity which had to be followed up (no matter how ludicrous) or loss of face appears.

2) there was a good chance of extracting money from the OAP's for committing the heinous crime.

3) someone in authority has authorized the, "raid" and in Thai culture nobody is allowed to question that decision.

4) the authorizing person got an idea in his / her head, and absolutely no thought went into it before or after authorizing the, "raid".

If you pay attention to anything in Thailand, from any form of construction, public services, management, etc, etc, etc, you will notice that the above four problems occur on a daily, hourly, and minutely basis in one way or another.

What this particular case has managed to do is grab the attention of the the nation (and hopefully much further afield) and highlight the gross stupidity that is taking place here on a regular basis.

Spot on Woody! I've only been here for 7 years but you've hit the nail on the head - perfectly and succinctly put!

I've now got that '7 year itch' and long for Western culture and values. How much longer can I put up with this nonsense?

Answers on the back of sae postcard please!

Then the police was right, its gambling.. and if prizes were there then people probably paid an entrance fee. Looks a lot more as gambling now and seems the police was justified.

Of course not with the amount of police and so on, but these are the laws of the country.

Just like many laws i think they are crazy but when you live here you have to accept them, or break them and not moan when you get caught.

Then the police was right, its gambling.. and if prizes were there then people probably paid an entrance fee. Looks a lot more as gambling now and seems the police was justified.

Of course not with the amount of police and so on, but these are the laws of the country.

Just like many laws i think they are crazy but when you live here you have to accept them, or break them and not moan when you get caught.

The police also realize that many older people will read about this in the international press and decide to cancel their 5 star hotel holiday and go elsewhere

I haven't flown Thai Airways for a while, but when I did (regularly) when flying into BKK I always asked the hostess for a pack of cards which they supply free. Buying cards in Thailand is very costly. On arrival I would simply put them in my pocket and go through customs. I now realise that technically I was breaking the law.

To those who think that this raid could in any way be defended with background in Thai law:

- Thais play bridge too and it's completely legal in Thailand. There are tournaments and the ASEAN championship was held in Thailand last year.

- The bridge club in question has been active for more than 20 years and as far as I know, they advertise their activities.

- Playing bridge is not gambling.

- Although there's a law preventing any one person to be in possession of more than 120 playing cards, there were 32 individuals present, which would allow them to be in possession of 3,840 cards or roughly 74 stacks. With 8 tables, that would be 9 stacks per table. Although it's possible, it would be unusual.

- Id the police had any brains, they would have considered the impact and reputation with regards to the tourist industry. Elderly people do not like the prospect of being arrested at their holiday destination.

This is clearly an example of ignorance and greed on the police part. They probably had no idea what bridge is, and expected to find a gambling den. Now they have the options of fining the players or lose face. Since they probably don't give a shit about Thailand's reputation, they'll most likely go for the fine.

For those who are feebly squaking about laws being broken.

Duplicate bridge has been played, apparently legally, in Thailand for years.

At the recent ASEAN Bridge Festival in Bangkok the sponsors included Bangkok Bank and PTT.

Tourism Thailand showed up to congratulate the organizers and players on a great tournament.

Oddly enough, the winners of the Non-ASEAN division was the club from Jomtien that just got assaulted.

There are members of the Norwegian national team and former world champions who play there.

If one of them ended up getting carted away and charged for engaging in an activity for which he just earned a medal in Bangkok, this is going to become an international embarrassment.

I don't even want to get into get into the number of Thai laws that are broken on a daily basis in Pattaya, but if you could load all the law books onto a cart and wheel them down Walking Street, I'm pretty sure it would be closed down immediately.

But, some people playing bridge, now that's the priority.

The police also realize that many older people will read about this in the international press and decide to cancel their 5 star hotel holiday and go elsewhere

Who are you trying to kid, yourself or us? Even the horrific murders on that koh Tao island failed to put anyone off holidaying in Thailand or visiting the island, and do you think a Brit that gets a slap on the wrist for organisating a game of bridge is going to deter the tourists?

Unless the man is deported or receives a prison sentence that I doubt will happen the international press wouldn`t even give this the time of day.

From what I've found there are several bridge clubs in Pattaya, the Pattaya Bridge Club itself is registered and legal. There is also a Thailand Bridge League that have some big name sponsors such as Bangkok Bank so it is fully legal and suspect the BiB will have egg on their face once the courts throw it out.

So they found no money or indication of gambling so they have to dig through regulations to find something to charge them with? That save face thing again. Surprised they didn't charge them for meetings of more then 5. wink.png

Archived