British-led Card Room raided by officials in South Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This actually made the national TV news, even had the police video. A bunch of confused old folks playing Bridge.

Unclear what crime was committed, anyone know?

" The offense relates to Section 8 of the Playing Cards Act of 1935 which states that an individual is not allowed to possess more than 120 playing cards at any one time. At the Bridge event, considerably more than 120 playing cards were found by officers."

If you would have bother to read the full story on Pattaya One...

The key words here are '120 playing cards' and 'per person'.....

I don't know because I haven't looked, but the original 1935 Act would have been written in Thai, not English. Perhaps this English translation (like many translations) isn't entirely accurate.

For example the word 'individual' could be referring to an 'individual group' in the original Thai text. If so, the group did have a lot more than 120 cards between them and, technically, they would have been breaking the law.

Still think it's an absolutely crazy situation and pursuing the case will make the Thai Authorities a laughing stock across the world.

Who are you trying to kid, yourself or us? Even the horrific murders on that koh Tao island failed to put anyone off holidaying in Thailand or visiting the island, and do you think a Brit that gets a slap on the wrist for organisating a game of bridge is going to deter the tourists?

Unless the man is deported or receives a prison sentence that I doubt will happen the international press wouldn`t even give this the time of day.

Don't count on this. It's exactly the kind of story which has the potential to go viral even amongst the main stream media.

The original article was updated. Everyone present was arrested and released after having paid 5000 Baht bail. It also says they are going to court on Thursday, presumably this Thursday, today.

I suspect there's going to be some serious backpedaling going on here once the big wigs in Bangkok find out about this nonsense.

For those who are feebly squaking about laws being broken.

Duplicate bridge has been played, apparently legally, in Thailand for years.

At the recent ASEAN Bridge Festival in Bangkok the sponsors included Bangkok Bank and PTT.

Tourism Thailand showed up to congratulate the organizers and players on a great tournament.

Oddly enough, the winners of the Non-ASEAN division was the club from Jomtien that just got assaulted.

There are members of the Norwegian national team and former world champions who play there.

If one of them ended up getting carted away and charged for engaging in an activity for which he just earned a medal in Bangkok, this is going to become an international embarrassment.

I don't even want to get into get into the number of Thai laws that are broken on a daily basis in Pattaya, but if you could load all the law books onto a cart and wheel them down Walking Street, I'm pretty sure it would be closed down immediately.

But, some people playing bridge, now that's the priority.

Very well stated Psychic! Couldn't believe those on here actually trying to justify this 'raid'. How ludicrous!

If they want to play an innocent game of cards during their retirement, people need to spend their retirement pensions in countries like Spain, Portugal, or Greece, which don't have laws against the possession of decks of cards. It's pretty hilarious that the local fuzz send out 50 officers to roust a bunch of pensioners playing cards, however. It just seems these days that Thai officialdom just can't seem to avoid stepping in a steaming pile of it on a daily basis.

Website of the Thailand Bridge League... http://www.thailandbridgeleague.com ....farang mafia too mutt. Personally I think that the person who instigated this farce just didn't grasp the concept of a card game without money.

I sometimes play Freecell on the computer. I'll be keeping the door locked and barricaded in future, just in case.

Microsoft have removed freecell and other card games from Windows 10.................................now we know whywhistling.gif

This actually made the national TV news, even had the police video. A bunch of confused old folks playing Bridge.

The offense relates to Section 8 of the Playing Cards Act of 1935 which states that an individual is not allowed to possess more than 120 playing cards at any one time. At the Bridge event, considerably more than 120 playing cards were found by officers.

I really don't know what the law says, I am completely ignorant in this respect. However, if never me is correct than no offence was committed, as according to him the law is broken "if an individual possesses more than 120 cards at any one time" When playing Bridge, no INDIVIDUAL possess anywhere near 120 cards at any one time. Therefore if never me is correct, and I must emphasise the word IF, than no offence was committed.

Latest update.

The president of Bridge Thailand showed up and all charges are apparently on hold.

That's good news, but why couldn't a phone call have been made before carting an 84 year old woman off to the police station and forcing her to find 5000B to be released.

Surely a cursory inspection of the Thailand Bridge League website ( in The Thai language so it would be readily understandable) would have put an end to this nonsense before it started.

If they weren't so busy trying to make arrests and confiscate property they could even have used the club's computers.

The offense relates to Section 8 of the Playing Cards Act of 1935 which states that an individual is not allowed to possess more than 120 playing cards at any one time. At the Bridge event, considerably more than 120 playing cards were found by officers.

I don't see the problem here except for the number of officers involved in the arrest. These people are criminals who broke the law. They knew they were committing a crime but obviously thought as affluent foreigners they were above the law or were too culturally insensitive to care. If you live in a country you should follow its laws and customs regardless of whether you agree with them or not. If you do not want to do that face the consequences or go somewhere else. I bet many of these would be the first to whine about foreigners in their on country flaunting the laws and refusing to conform to cultural norms.

With moronic statements like that you'd make a perfect dummy. Just for the record not one person was in possession of more than 120cards.
Their logic would that the

possessor of the space would also possess all the cards in it.

This really needs to make the international press,

so they can be shown how much it makes them lose face,

for being such bleeding idiots.

I really don't know what the law says, I am completely ignorant in this respect. However, if never me is correct than no offence was committed, as according to him the law is broken "if an individual possesses more than 120 cards at any one time" When playing Bridge, no INDIVIDUAL possess anywhere near 120 cards at any one time. Therefore if never me is correct, and I must emphasise the word IF, than no offence was committed.

Smartass here, greetings. What you mean is that nobody HOLDS more than 120 cards at any one time

From what I've found there are several bridge clubs in Pattaya, the Pattaya Bridge Club itself is registered and legal. There is also a Thailand Bridge League that have some big name sponsors such as Bangkok Bank so it is fully legal and suspect the BiB will have egg on their face once the courts throw it out.

So they found no money or indication of gambling so they have to dig through regulations to find something to charge them with? That save face thing again. Surprised they didn't charge them for meetings of more then 5. wink.png

Im just as curious as you about the outcome of the courts decision. I hope it goes as you say and teaches the BIB not to do it again.

Still if there were prizes they might make something stick. Without those i doubt they could make it stick.

I am one of the bridgpplayers who was detained.

The charges of gambling have been dropped. There was no money involved.

There were no prizes.

The event is known as a "club duplicate pairs" and is played in small clubs all over the world.I will write more when I get home from the police station.

There were no prizes.

The event is known as a "club duplicate pairs" and is played in small clubs all over the world.I will write more when I get home from the police station.

You're still at the police station?

Anything approaching an apology issued?

I had someone who reads Thai look over the thailandbridgeleague.com website and after looking at the list of names on the page I was told 'there's some very high people there'.

I'm not sure how she knows but I think it's something to do with the family names.

U know wot, I'm glad I'm out of Pattaya now. I'm up north in lovely hse overlooking Burmese mountains an my stress level is 0. Well apart from building hair salon for partner.

So pathetic no money woz found so no crime but yet the 50 idiots STORM the residence an still look in their little law book to find a way to prosecute them.

But hey down theppersit rd some teenage thugs on a moped are prob robbing some farang. But do bib care No. Coz no money involved for their fat pockets.

I understand gambling is illegal. Sometimes gambling involves cards but this is clearly pathetic.

I suspect this story will be published in UK and Aussie newspapers. Many 'oldies' will think again before retiring to this "gambling den"! Playing Bridge! what next? Snap maybe? or even Patience !!!

I hear Solitaire is on their radar, as it leads to playing 'Go Fish'.

It's the same as monks eating ice cream, which leads to them wearing women's shoes.

OMG, I'm not really reading this am I? How pathetic, surely they must have something better to do than arrest a load of geriatrics, no offence meant to the players and scour the law books to find some spurious offence or other. This really need to go viral.

There were no prizes.

Please post your experience in the Pattaya Forum, as opposed to replying here, where it will get buried and 95% of us will never see it.

Thanks!

Archived