photo editing software

The last truly user friendly and basic version of Photoshop was version 7.0. I've seen legit sales of it on ebay for as little as $10 used but with retail disk and serial#. I'm betting that it can do anything you want it to do. It will even create moving gifs. It is far more powerful than any new free software. FWIW v.6 wasn't worth having after 7.0 came out.

There are tons of good tutorials for using it on YouTube and even on web sites. You can very much teach yourself but you have to love doing it to put in the time.

Irfanview Free will do basic resizing, rotating, cropping, color and brightness/contrast adjusting it just won't do it with the granularity that Photoshop will. It's also very limited beyond what I listed.

hth.

PS. I'm running Photoshop 7.0 on Windows 10 64 bit with no problems.

A full featured photo editor that has similar power of Photoshop and is free is Gimpshop

It is a repackaged version of Gimp giving a Photoshop like interface.

Gimpshop hasn't been updated for many years.

GIMP now has a more Photoshop feel thanks to the single window mode. In the past it was three separate windows but now it's more like Photoshop.

I only use fastone, and its free.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Since moving over to linux a few years ago I still miss this program (I know I could run this with Wine). Excellent free program for basic editing, batch renaming, red eye removal and many more handy features. Easy to use for a beginner as it's not too overwhelming.

It's one of the best freeware programs ever. Under 5mb if I remember correctly.

A full featured photo editor that has similar power of Photoshop and is free is Gimpshop

It is a repackaged version of Gimp giving a Photoshop like interface.

Gimpshop hasn't been updated for many years.

Thanks for that info. Just looked up the history of it and saw the author stopped due to someone 'cloning' his site and work. In which case the current Gimp would be a good choice for full editing tool.

• 9 months later...
19 minutes ago, rhythmworx said:

Affinity photo have a free beta on offer at the moment.  It's pretty impressive by the looks of it and very cheap 1 off payment for the full version.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

Looks like us Mac users have to pay now! .... Just ฿1,750.00  (No subscription).

I've not heard of this one b4! could be worth a look at !

Checked it out a little last night, for us Mac people there is a 10 day free trial...:thumbsup:

Interface looks pretty good, as with any program it's a learning curve... but first impressions were good...

One nice thing it did not take several minutes to load/ open as it does with LR!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. :thumbsup:

One thing I forgot to mention is that I wish to start out using free/shareware/demo software first...

I want to see if I enjoy  the results of my efforts first before I start investing my hard-earned baht in a commercial package.

Tutorials or "How-to for Dummies" links would also be welcome.

Goggle Nik Collection is now free but is not a stand alone tool, you can add it to Lightroom or Adobe and perhaps more?

It used to cost 500$.

The very nice man/photographer;   Anthony Morganti show how it's used in simple clear demonstrations:  

1 hour ago, samuijimmy said:

You can do some basic editing in Google Plus Photos, Jae Dee, once images are uploaded... 

It does not give enough scope to get a lot of detail that might be missing , it could be worth a try ?

In Windows?  Know there is an app for Android but do no see any option to edit on my Windows 10 Google Plus.  But then Google has sometimes been known to fool us older folks.  :saai:

I did think there was such an option however but can not find now - currently using the new version of Google Plus as they say classic is going byebye.

1 hour ago, Jai Dee said:

One thing I forgot to mention is that I wish to start out using free/shareware/demo software first...

I want to see if I enjoy  the results of my efforts first before I start investing my hard-earned baht in a commercial package.

One that works very well is " Faststone ". Easy to use and the best part about it is free and does RAW.:thumbsup:

I believe@Lopburi was referring to Google Photos, not to be confused with Plus. Photo editing are basic but may meet your needs. Because all of my phone photos are automatically synced to my Google account it's always my first stop for basic editing. Oh, and it's free.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Go to YouTube
Enter the name of your chosen software, plus the word "tutorial".
Press Enter

On 11/18/2016 at 8:25 PM, ChristianBlessing said:

I believe@Lopburi was referring to Google Photos, not to be confused with Plus. Photo editing are basic but may meet your needs. Because all of my phone photos are automatically synced to my Google account it's always my first stop for basic editing. Oh, and it's free.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Actually I can not find any photo editing option in either Google+ or Google Photos anymore on my Windows 10.  It is not listed in menus and do not believe any of the icons bring up editing (but admit Google often fools me with icons).

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually I can not find any photo editing option in either Google+ or Google Photos anymore on my Windows 10.  It is not listed in menus and do not believe any of the icons bring up editing (but admit Google often fools me with icons).

OH ! I wish they had left it the way it was with Picasa.... it's so tedious now with Google Photos!

I am not sure if I can fully explain it... but photos seem to go into an Archive, witnin Google Photos. (you must be signed in to open) That  shows the images, but one cannot do anything with them until opening  the album by using the three dots at the top right corner.  Then you can make basic edits... it's quite limited.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand the mentality of people who spend thousands on photography gear, and invest countless hours in the taking of photos; only to scrabble around looking for something free to process them; which almost always turns out to be inadequate or short-lived; when for the price of a couple of beers a month they can use the industry standard.

And the "industry standards" are designed for and used by professionals for there living - and most require a Masters Degree in chaos theory to navigate.  Simple free programs are what most normal people want and can reasonably use - and they perform that job very well indeed.

Archived