Need Passport to Get SIM Card?

ThailandTrip

If you want A phone,give them your passport.Things change.You should make some photo copies and always carry one on you

My niece was visiting last month, I went with her to a DTAC shop. She had a photocopy of her passport and the lady at the shop used her mobile phone to scan

the passport and register the sim card. Just normal procedure now.

I used a photocopy of my passport at TrueMove shop in bangkok to set up prepay WiFi through an AirCard / shared dongle.

When setting up a SIM i didn't have my pasdport or a copy so a friend registered it on her ID at 7/11.

You must surely have a Thai friend that can do it?

A few months ago I used my expired (now renewed) passport but only brought a photocopy to the 7/11 which they accepted (a few quizical looks then processed it).

They tie all SIM card registrations to known people - so legal identification of who you are is needed for the registration to take place.

The stated goal of the registration is to prevent the use in terrorism / criminal activity, but that would not stop it anyway since the worst case scenario is to bring a foreign phone in and use it - so it was not registered (just more expensive)..... so one can only assume the goal of this is really to monitor ordinary Thais who may have different political viewpoints (or say the wrong thing about certain people).

If your worry is that you are in an overstay status -- you really don't have to be that paranoid..... There are much easier ways to catch all the overstay, one that would get a high number would be just to check the last place you registered to stay on entry and work from there. People don't tend to stray too far from what they know - they could easily round up a couple thousand a day if that was a priority.

Go get your passport you should always carry it in case you get knock down by a bus.

Bar girls & motorcycle taxi drivers have been know to be dabbling in the registration of sim cards as a side line

So much for security when a Bar girl, Taxi driver or Joe Blow will register for you !!!!! laugh.png

Go get your passport you should always carry it in case you get knock down by a bus.

Bar girls & motorcycle taxi drivers have been know to be dabbling in the registration of sim cards as a side line

So much for security when a Bar girl, Taxi driver or Joe Blow will register for you !!!!! laugh.png

Plus being a partner of a crime.

Removed a troll post about a "certificate of résidence" and the replies to it. This topic is about the requirement of a passport to get a SIM card, not about anything else and certainly not the place to post unfounded rumours.

Archived