What do I need to know: Moving from Thailand to Vietnam?

Couldn't you just leave your stuff here and go get a feel for the place first

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I have, I loved the central areas particularly Da Nang and Hoi An, oceans, extremely fresh seafood, good beer for ~8 baht/glass, cheap, and the people are friendly. I wouldn't mind HCMC but it is very crowded and noisy. I am sure the quality of life will be higher than in Thailand if the visa situation is easier.

Da Nang gets about 8 -10 weeks of good weather each year when you can actually enjoy the beaches. If you visit during that period then it's paradise but otherwise it's too wet, too cold or too humid. The weather really sucks.. The other thing that you need to be aware of if you are planning an extended stay not in a hotel is that Da Nang is controlled by the army and considered a communist cultural hotspot. Fun is not allowed. As a foreigner living there the people may be nice but anyone in authority will consider you a carrier of social evils there to pollute society.. You'll see lots of residential streets with blue signs accriss the entrance with Vietnamese writing which roughly translated is this street is protected against social evils by the fatherland front. It means that there will either be a resident or some old guy sitting in a chair watching what everybody in the street does and reporting it. ( it exists in HCMC to a lesser extent but is still there) you will be the center of attention that's for sure.

Finally Da Nang still has a huge dioxin ( agent orange) problem. They are still cleaning up areas just outside of the city and there are concerns that it has contaminated the water table. Googke it now or you may end up coming back to Thailand with two heads and 3 arms.

• Like 2

"I am bored with the recent changes in Thailand..."

What were you expecting, rioting and chaos in the streets to make life exciting for you?

You seem to want to be spoon fed basic information easily found via google. Good place to start would be Wikipedia to learn something about the country history and culture.

Vietnam expelled the Chinese after being under their yoke for 1000yrs, beat the Mongols(3x) who gave up to invade eastern Europe, kicked out their French colonizers and beat US military despite carpet bombing their country for years.

This should tell you something about the character of the people. They can be genuinely nice but dont take shit, least of all from Farang. By and large the Vietnamese are very driven, hard working and family oriented.

Don't go there expecting to be fawned upon or treated like a rock star.

Edited by nemrut
  • Like 2

What are you going to do when you're bored with the changes in VN? And FYI, VN is polluted too.

Well, how about moving to another country? I lived and worked all over the world during my career, I am planning to do the same in retirement? You can, if you don't bury yourself in any one place.

I have, I loved the central areas particularly Da Nang and Hoi An, oceans, extremely fresh seafood, good beer for ~8 baht/glass, cheap, and the people are friendly. I wouldn't mind HCMC but it is very crowded and noisy. I am sure the quality of life will be higher than in Thailand if the visa situation is easier.

Da Nang gets about 8 -10 weeks of good weather each year when you can actually enjoy the beaches. If you visit during that period then it's paradise but otherwise it's too wet, too cold or too humid. The weather really sucks.. The other thing that you need to be aware of if you are planning an extended stay not in a hotel is that Da Nang is controlled by the army and considered a communist cultural hotspot. Fun is not allowed. As a foreigner living there the people may be nice but anyone in authority will consider you a carrier of social evils there to pollute society.. You'll see lots of residential streets with blue signs accriss the entrance with Vietnamese writing which roughly translated is this street is protected against social evils by the fatherland front. It means that there will either be a resident or some old guy sitting in a chair watching what everybody in the street does and reporting it. ( it exists in HCMC to a lesser extent but is still there) you will be the center of attention that's for sure.

Finally Da Nang still has a huge dioxin ( agent orange) problem. They are still cleaning up areas just outside of the city and there are concerns that it has contaminated the water table. Googke it now or you may end up coming back to Thailand with two heads and 3 arms.

well, I really enjoyed Da Nang--it had the world's largest outhouse; great fun killing flies with your zippo.

Ahh.... Vietnam.... the next "it" place.

But I heard it's quite a hole unless you want to teach English. I think that's why nomades numeriques like Thailand better.

Why is it a hole if you don't want to teach English--just being an English teacher seems more of a hole.

• Like 1

The level of service in hotels and restaurants is much inferior to that in Thailand. Everybody is trying to make a buck so expect overcharging and shortchanging. The Thais are more laid back and patient than the Vietnamese. If you don't mind being rather isolated then Da Nang would be a good choice. The beaches at nearby Hoi An are nice with white sand and huge waves. You would also be isolated in Hue but it's a nice small city with lots of history (former imperial capital) and you can hire pedicabs by the hour or the day. You can also do that in Da Nang and Hoi An. Just don't expect anything near the luxury that we have in Thailand. Actually, after spending a while in Vietnam, I think that you'll be very happy to return to Thailand. Chuc ong may man! (Good luck.)

• Like 2

I have never experienced any of the things you are talking about, I have always found it to be very welcoming and exciting. I am of course not looking for riots in the street to be excited, I would stay here for that as this is inevitable, and the. I have not heard about the dioxin problem, but that is worth looking into. Otherwise, it was a beautiful city that was cheap, had a great ocean, was pretty clean and had a nice community that I saw of foreigners. I have a hard time imagining the weather is worse than Thailand, especially when the cancerous smoking season is in effect and breathing becomes hazardous.

Edited by NomadStrategy
  • Like 1

"I am bored with the recent changes in Thailand..."

What were you expecting, rioting and chaos in the streets to make life exciting for you?

You seem to want to be spoon fed basic information easily found via google. Good place to start would be Wikipedia to learn something about the country history and culture.

Vietnam expelled the Chinese after being under their yoke for 1000yrs, beat the Mongols(3x) who gave up to invade eastern Europe, kicked out their French colonizers and beat US military despite carpet bombing their country for years.

This should tell you something about the character of the people. They can be genuinely nice but dont take shit, least of all from Farang. By and large the Vietnamese are very driven, hard working and family oriented.

Don't go there expecting to be fawned upon or treated like a rock star.

this is ridiculous, I would stay here for the riots and discontent. I don't consider that exciting either, but to each their own. I don't give anyone "shit" so I don't see why that would be a problem, or a difference, from Thailand. I had an interesting experience where I was in a very distant area from tourist hotspots, and a bunch of younger girls were making me pose for pictures with them. I don't see how the "rockstar treatment" is at all worth a comment, but there is more of that in Vietnam than in Thailand... you have some interesting opinions on what is important.

• Like 1

I made the move last year after my wife of 15 years decided to become a junkie. So, with my daughter in tow, off to Vietnam. We both got 2 year temporary resident cards with no hassle, she is in an International school and I enjoy being out of Thailand for the time being. Crowded? Yes, some places but not everyplace. You'll enjoy the change.

How much is international school in Vietnam?

How does your wife become a junkie after 15 years?

Yaba bimbo.

Vietnam is the worst place in the world after China, but still some people dream that it's paradise...

Let's get robbed there and enjoy coming back to Thailand !

care to explain how its bad? I had no bad experiences in two trips and it was dirt cheap, many people were very friendly, and the food was amazing, my experience.

• 2 years later...