Captain of diver slashing speedboat charged

snoop1130

Captain of diver slashing speedboat charged
Matt Pond

post-249866-0-91448100-1454592442_thumb.
Sergei Dmitriev, 30, whose right leg was nearly severed entirely by the speedboat propeller has since had it amputated and been taken to Bangkok for further treatment. Photo: Krabi Tourist Rescue Centre

PHUKET: -- The captain of the speedboat that struck and severely injured two Russian divers in Koh Phi Phi's Maya Bay yesterday (Feb 3) has been charged Krabi Police have confirmed.

Meanwhile, the victim whose leg was nearly sliced completely through has since had it amputated and been flown to Bangkok for further treatment.

Pol Col Sompong Tiparpakul, chief of Muang Krabi Police Station confirmed that Adisorn Benmamud, 27, has initially been charged with careless driving causing injury. However, additional charges could be added if it is found that he and the boat do not have proper licences.

Sergei Dmitriev, 30, and Dmitry Kuryanov, 48, were struck by the propeller of the speedboat Sunsan 2 when they resurfaced from their dive at Maya Bay at about 10:30am, said Nitiphat Mongkolpradit of the Krabi Tourist Rescue Centre.

Mr Dimitriev had his right leg cut off from the knee down, and all toes on his left foot were also severed in the accident.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/captain-of-diver-slashing-speedboat-charged-56059.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-02-04

...one has to wonder if such acts are not deliberate after all....

...the dive area was clearly marked according to witnesses.....

...so the boat had no business 'driving there at high speed'......

Seek professional help.

What voices in your head tell you this was intentional?

and ...

Where did you see "high speed" mentioned? Here, let me help you with a direct quote from the article:

"Benmamud told police that he had more than 30 passengers on board the Sunsan 2 yesterday and that when he came to the entrance to Nang Bay he felt that he had hit something so reverse the boat. He noticed the oxygen tank floating to the surface then saw blood and the two injured divers so contacted local officials for help"

I am a diver and this is a diver's worst nightmare. Your comments are out of place.

Good work!

"The Russian embassy today (Feb 4) sent a chartered flight with medical personnel on board to transport Mr Dmitriev from Bangkok Phuket Hospital to Vejthani Hospital in Bangkok for further treatment."

Nice to see an Embassy getting it in gear and acting in the interest of its citizens!

(Hey, American Embassy ... Watch and LEARN)

Good work!

"The Russian embassy today (Feb 4) sent a chartered flight with medical personnel on board to transport Mr Dmitriev from Bangkok Phuket Hospital to Vejthani Hospital in Bangkok for further treatment."

Nice to see an Embassy getting it in gear and acting in the interest of its citizens!

(Hey, American Embassy ... Watch and LEARN)

I have no experience with Russian proceedings.

Normally it goes this way: The medical case is reported to the health insurance of the patient (hospitals do that so they get their money. Sometimes they contact the embassy concerned) Health insurance immidiately consult their contracted doctors who decide what is needed in the case, e.g. sending a medical jet or helicopter to transport to the appropriate hospital

Sorry guys, but your jokes don't really make me laugh..... that bloke has lost a leg etc..... sad.png

No joke.The guy was stupid to not dive with a proper licensed expat SCUBA club.Save money in Thailand on dangerous adventures and take your chances.He will be lucky to receive enough money to pay the hospital expenses.I feel sorry for him as I do the passengers ridding on top of trains in India that get killed every day..

Sorry guys, but your jokes don't really make me laugh..... that bloke has lost a leg etc..... sad.png

No joke.The guy was stupid to not dive with a proper licensed expat SCUBA club.Save money in Thailand on dangerous adventures and take your chances.He will be lucky to receive enough money to pay the hospital expenses.I feel sorry for him as I do the passengers ridding on top of trains in India that get killed every day..

Having no knowledge of how this all happened, you still offer up this crap?

I only wish my vocabulary could keep pace with my contempt for this way of thinking ... then I could write more.

Please crawl back under your bridge .... TROLL.

And the speed boat jockey will walk free, I am sure.

Not if the injured parties were related in any way to the Russian Mob, he may walk out of jail, but his days would be numbered..............just saying

This is truly a horrific story, a young man in his prime comes on scuba diving holiday and loses his leg and a foot, "why" because of a stupid animal driving a boat without any consideration for the people in the water! There is no criminal charge or compensation of any kind that can make up for this mans loss. The international community should boycott all water sports in Thailand until some kind of standard is met, omg There is no words to describe the horror of what the future holds for this young man and his family, the suffering! Everyday single day i hear of people losing their life or a limb because of some idiot driver on the roads or the water in Thailand. If the governments of the people that are the victims of such despicable crimes were to actually do something for their citizens and scream to the high heavens to the government of Thailand, then maybe something would be done. But that is not likely to happen, it may affect their trade and profits!!!! This truly makes me feel sick. poor chap :(

500 THB fine?

It could rise to 1500

I guess the point is~there is little deterrent through enforcement. The guy had no license or paperwork for his boat. There is a 90 percent chance he was going to fast (again enforcement). I feel sorry for both of them, but if I did that in the US, I'd be F*****. The penalties are insignificant. Maybe he was tired, and all those people were his friends?

Standard training is to send up an inflatable safety marker before surfacing in any area that could contain boats.

Also to look up and around as surfacing.

Had the diver followed standard training all would have been fine.

Boat driver may be part to blame for driving in wrong zone but not intentional and an unfortunate accident.

When I ride a motorbike I don't hope that cars will follow the road rules and drive safely, I expect the worst and protect myself. Same here, but sympathy to both the diver and captain who thought would just be a normal day.

Standard training is to send up an inflatable safety marker before surfacing in any area that could contain boats.

Also to look up and around as surfacing.

Had the diver followed standard training all would have been fine.

Boat driver may be part to blame for driving in wrong zone but not intentional and an unfortunate accident.

When I ride a motorbike I don't hope that cars will follow the road rules and drive safely, I expect the worst and protect myself. Same here, but sympathy to both the diver and captain who thought would just be a normal day.

They did use an SMB, and speedboat attacked that buoy at full speed, so looking up did not help them.

Make all the comments you want about 500 baht fine.

This is Thailand cause serious injury to a farang, get a little slap on the wrist.

Then carry on as if nothing happened.

I am a living( only just) example of Thai justice.

Except in this case the captain is not Thai so I expect they will throw the Burmese guy under the bus.

Make all the comments you want about 500 baht fine.

This is Thailand cause serious injury to a farang, get a little slap on the wrist.

Then carry on as if nothing happened.

I am a living( only just) example of Thai justice.

Except in this case the captain is not Thai so I expect they will throw the Burmese guy under the bus.

By law all captains of commercial boats must be Thai. So if this is true, there should be separate more expensive fines for the boat owner- but agree, if Myanmar, will be piled on with charges in what is looking like an accident, with both parties making mistakes, as in most accidents.

Archived