Confusion and Anger at Pattaya Bridge Club Raid

webfact

Confusion and Anger at Pattaya Bridge Club Raid

bridge-6.jpg

PATTAYA: -- The raid of a Bridge Club in South Pattaya on Wednesday has become a global news story with many questioning the legalities of the raid and the definition of gambling and how it could possibly relate to the card game, Bridge.

On Thursday we spoke with Khunying Chodchoy, the President of the Contract Bridge League of Thailand, who travelled to Pattaya to assist those arrested during the raid. She was upset at the raid but understood the confusion over the game of Bridge and how it could be construed as gambling by those who do not know how to play it.

She confirmed the game is new to Thais and is already part of the ASEAN games and is likely to feature in the Olympic Games in the future, she said. Regarding the law, Khunying Chodchoy stated that an amendment to the Gambling Laws in 1960 allowed for such games, where money was not changing hands, to be played without any form of license or authorization from the Police or Government.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/221299/confusion-and-anger-at-pattaya-bridge-club-raid/#prettyPhoto

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-02-05

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've no idea what the BIB's informant told them but I'll bet they were wetting themselves with excitement at the thought of knocking over a foreigners only ' gambling den ' so went in mob handed ready for anything.

Interesting dilemma now over what to do as it may be just too much loss of face to admit it was an unfortunate mistake so they might decide some offence, any offence, is applicable but possibly not prosecute in an effort to regain dignity. ' See how reasonable we are ? '

I can see the informant getting a thick ear, at least.

Incidentally this is now subject of a BBC tongue in cheek report. It's reported all those involved were released on bail after being held for 12 hours.

"Regarding the law, Khunying Chodchoy stated that an amendment to the Gambling Laws in 1960 allowed for such games, where money was not changing hands, to be played without any form of license or authorization from the Police or Government."

That statement is interesting in itself. One would have to ask why this hadn't been cited earlier to the authorities by those arrested considering the length of time the bridge club has been operating and assuming those running the club knew (and you would expect this, knowing the rules, especially with anything to do with gaming here).

Perhaps it was cited, and that would be the reason why they dredged for the 'more than 120 cards' regulation. That said though, if bridge is legal, amended by law, how can the 120 card rule apply to a legalized game?

AP, as reported in the Guardian newspaper, says the blame lies with the military, not the police:

Police know that bridge is a sport because a similar case happened before, but this time it was military and district officials who initiated the raid and they probably didnt know, Chaiyut Assanaiyarat, the bridge leagues manager, told AP."

Where are the UK diplomatic staff in this farce? My guess is not wanting to upset international relations instead of taking those concerned to task for treating its citizens in such a way...

Where are the UK diplomatic staff in this farce? My guess is not wanting to upset international relations instead of taking those concerned to task for treating its citizens in such a way...

The embassy staff have to put rubber pads on their knees first and even then they will apologize that their citizens acted in such a disgusting way.

you know, i don't come here to bash Thais, they do it to themselves.

This story has gone viral and the Thai police are being ridiculed around the world.

police are filth in Thailand.

...you cannot ignore the fact that the targets...once again...are non-Thais....

..essentially they broke their way into a private home...with no legal basis...then tried to find one...

...meanwhile....everyone knows how rampant drugs and gambling etc are in Thailand....

...foreigners come her with goodwill....and get bashed at every turn....while 'paying through the nose' all the while...

This managed to make the ABC radio this morning in a way that could hardly be painted as positive. I think the words Pattaya were in the same sentence as prostitution, corruption, and death of a foreigner.

Dosent Thailand have a strange law in that if you cause thailand bad publicity you can be charged. Perhaps this police officer should be charged for causing such bad publicity.

At the very least he should be given an award for outright stupidity.

"Regarding the law, Khunying Chodchoy stated that an amendment to the Gambling Laws in 1960 allowed for such games, where money was not changing hands, to be played without any form of license or authorization from the Police or Government."

That statement is interesting in itself. One would have to ask why this hadn't been cited earlier to the authorities by those arrested considering the length of time the bridge club has been operating and assuming those running the club knew (and you would expect this, knowing the rules, especially with anything to do with gaming here).

Perhaps it was cited, and that would be the reason why they dredged for the 'more than 120 cards' regulation. That said though, if bridge is legal, amended by law, how can the 120 card rule apply to a legalized game?

Possessing more than 120 cards is legal, but only if each card has an Excise Department stamp.

It seems the Pattaya Police have too much spare time.

Perhaps, it would be far more productivity if they turned their collective minds towards reducing the country's horrendous road toll...

But then, they seem to prefer more menial matters!

This managed to make the ABC radio this morning in a way that could hardly be painted as positive. I think the words Pattaya were in the same sentence as prostitution, corruption, and death of a foreigner.

Dosent Thailand have a strange law in that if you cause thailand bad publicity you can be charged. Perhaps this police officer should be charged for causing such bad publicity.

I don't know, but I doubt there is such a law. If there was there would be no government, no police, no army....In fact half the population would be locked up.

I always think that the Royal Thai Police could very often be charged with lese majeste as surely when they are acting inappropriately on the kings name something should be done about it.

I don't know, but I doubt there is such a law. If there was there would be no government, no police, no army....In fact half the population would be locked up.

I always think that the Royal Thai Police could very often be charged with lese majeste as surely when they are acting inappropriately on the kings name something should be done about it.

I'm extremely concerned about the old lady who was kept in jail for refusing to sign the "confession" Has anyone any info on her wellbeing? Has she been released?

What a disgraceful way to treat senior citizens whatever the nationality.

Archived