Confusion and Anger at Pattaya Bridge Club Raid

webfact

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are the UK diplomatic staff in this farce? My guess is not wanting to upset international relations instead of taking those concerned to task for treating its citizens in such a way...

Sorry to have to break it to you but the Raj is over, with its attended extra-territoriality and unequal treaty stuff.

so what should happen now

Well the PM could get some good PR and praise from this if he intervenes but setting that aside the Pattaya police chief should at least be following this up with -

- fines returned

- a public apology

- and all those that were mistreated in this very obvious misunerstanding presented with flowers publicly at the Pattaya police station

Well the PM could get some good PR and praise from this if he intervenes but setting that aside the Pattaya police chief should at least be following this up with -

- fines returned

- a public apology

- and all those that were mistreated in this very obvious misunerstanding presented with flowers publicly at the Pattaya police station

Or, highlight the very reason Thais differ from farangs - like rice vs bread.

This managed to make the ABC radio this morning in a way that could hardly be painted as positive. I think the words Pattaya were in the same sentence as prostitution, corruption, and death of a foreigner.

Dosent Thailand have a strange law in that if you cause thailand bad publicity you can be charged. Perhaps this police officer should be charged for causing such bad publicity.

At the very least he should be given an award for outright stupidity.

I don't know, but I doubt there is such a law. If there was there would be no government, no police, no army....In fact half the population would be locked up.

I always think that the Royal Thai Police could very often be charged with lese majeste as surely when they are acting inappropriately on the kings name something should be done about it.

I'm extremely concerned about the old lady who was kept in jail for refusing to sign the "confession" Has anyone any info on her wellbeing? Has she been released?

What a disgraceful way to treat senior citizens whatever the nationality.

I believe it was a bail bond she refused to pay

Seems no-one wants to hear or read that it was not police who conducted the raids and that it was not fines but bail money (returnable) prior to going to court (if it now goes that far). When Army and City officials bring such a case to police, then they must act upon it even if it now seems like charges are spurious,

OK, I, along with many others, have already posted my thoughts on this idiotic raid. But after reading this article, I found myself stunned by the comment that BRIDGE may be added to the OLYMPIC GAMES! ... BRIDGE? A damn card game? In the OLYMPICS? ... Surely that must be a joke.

This made SKY NEWS WORLDWIDE !!!! If gambling is illegal why do they sell government lottery tickets at 80 baht a ticket which is drawn weekly and millions of Thais who play it have a chance to win millions of baht ( is that not gambling ) maybe that is why they call the kingdom " AMAZING THAILAND "

This managed to make the ABC radio this morning in a way that could hardly be painted as positive. I think the words Pattaya were in the same sentence as prostitution, corruption, and death of a foreigner.

Dosent Thailand have a strange law in that if you cause thailand bad publicity you can be charged. Perhaps this police officer should be charged for causing such bad publicity.

At the very least he should be given an award for outright stupidity.

I don't know, but I doubt there is such a law. If there was there would be no government, no police, no army....In fact half the population would be locked up.

I always think that the Royal Thai Police could very often be charged with lese majeste as surely when they are acting inappropriately on the kings name something should be done about it.

If the reports that the raid was ordered by the military and was not a police initiative, not much will be done!

I've no idea what the BIB's informant told them but I'll bet they were wetting themselves with excitement at the thought of knocking over a foreigners only ' gambling den ' so went in mob handed ready for anything.

Interesting dilemma now over what to do as it may be just too much loss of face to admit it was an unfortunate mistake so they might decide some offence, any offence, is applicable but possibly not prosecute in an effort to regain dignity. ' See how reasonable we are ? '

I can see the informant getting a thick ear, at least.

Incidentally this is now subject of a BBC tongue in cheek report. It's reported all those involved were released on bail after being held for 12 hours.

"Pattaya police chief Sukthat Pumpunmuang told AFP Thursday the raid was sparked by a member of the public complaining to the government's anti-corruption centre. It was initiated by district officials, local media said, not by Pattaya police."

What they heard was "we can get a whole bunch of rich foreigners arrested now, for gambling illegally, think of the bribes they'll have to pay to get out of this one! we'll all be rich beyond our wildest dreams!"

I'm sorry, whilst I realize there is a lot of mental skill required to play bridge, but how on earth can Bridge be considered a sport?!!! What's next? Solitaire and tiddly winks? Or how about Olympic stamp collecting? (apologies to philatelists)

One can only hope the IOC will see the ridiculousness of this.

Thai military storm expats' bridge club after gambling tipoff

Peter Walker Thursday 4 February 2016 theguardian.com

Thirty-two people arrested for possession of playing cards, but none expected to be charged after bridge league president intervenes

2168.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/04/thai-military-storm-expats-bridge-club-pattaya

This story has to be an embarrassment and slap in the face to whoever of authority agreed to this raid. From this article it has been legal since 1960 to play card games where no money is exchanged! Perhaps a crash course by the police and their hierarchy is in order in the laws. Also, the club should be given an official open apology by the mayor and chief of police. Throw in a weekend cruise on the bay with Bridge and open bar being the prize.

You couldn't make this shit up... even in a comedy sketch

Lord ..... can you not at least equip one Thai person in senior management to have the constitution and mental clarity to say "lets think about this a bit first" before they embark on what seems like a good idea..... I have never repeat never seen a country so adept at the practice of Ready Fire Aim with the gun invariably pointed at their feet ......

Im starting to think Thainess means " to have no management level cognitive ability to analyse causative action and reaction dynamics and to look at the possible ramifications and outcomes of planned actions or positions ".....

you know, i don't come here to bash Thais, they do it to themselves.

This story has gone viral and the Thai police are being ridiculed around the world.

yeah they better be..... its apart of the games for

ASEAN...its not their cock fights for money... which is permitted since its not a card game....and their high and low family games where money is lost in the 1000s

"Regarding the law, Khunying Chodchoy stated that an amendment to the Gambling Laws in 1960 allowed for such games, where money was not changing hands, to be played without any form of license or authorization from the Police or Government."

That statement is interesting in itself. One would have to ask why this hadn't been cited earlier to the authorities by those arrested considering the length of time the bridge club has been operating and assuming those running the club knew (and you would expect this, knowing the rules, especially with anything to do with gaming here).

Perhaps it was cited, and that would be the reason why they dredged for the 'more than 120 cards' regulation. That said though, if bridge is legal, amended by law, how can the 120 card rule apply to a legalized game?

Possessing more than 120 cards is legal, but only if each card has an Excise Department stamp.

Yep, noted. Forgot to mention the stamp issue........................wink.png

Wonder where they got the cards?

The story mentions that bridge is part of the Asean Games and will probably be part of the Olympic Games. I think that's going a little too far in the spirit of the games. Somehow I can't see the ancient Greeks sitting around in the Forum playing the game. Next will be underwater basket weaving.

- fines returned

- a public apology

if the good general doesn't get his people under control he is ultimately responsible for their actions UK, Aussie, Danish and any other Government that had their elderly citizens subjected to this Buffoonish military/police action should get together and be up someone's rear end in Bangkok.

I'm sorry, whilst I realize there is a lot of mental skill required to play bridge, but how on earth can Bridge be considered a sport?!!! What's next? Solitaire and tiddly winks? Or how about Olympic stamp collecting? (apologies to philatelists)

One can only hope the IOC will see the ridiculousness of this.

coffee1.gifofftopic.gif take your your whinging to a new topic!

`is likely to feature in the Olympic Games in the future`

I suppose `higher` in `Faster, Higher, Stronger` could mean higher ranked card.

Yes was reading the new rules for the Bangkok games

1) Games will be held at 4 tables in each session

2) After 40 of game playing a loin score will be calculated on who has the most points

3) To make sure games are fair for the Thai Team after this time has past Royal Thai Police and soldiers will rush in and arrest players with higher points than the Thai Team

4) all non Thai players are promise 12 hours of Thai entertainment provided at the local Police station

Archived