moving from UK starting Thai school in Nakhon Sawan

ArranP

I have approached 2 schools in Nakhon Sawan, bi-lingual school Yuwapat and thai school La Salle, they both require students including my daughter (aged 8 in november) to sit a test in thai before they start at the school.

This presents the following problems:

1) we will be arriving to Thailand mid June 2016, yet the test is not until March 2017, and this is for entrants starting in may 2017 does this mean my daughter has to stay a whole year out of school ?

2) my daughter cannot read thai, and speaks very little thai.

First question - why Nakhon Sawan? Presumably you have work or family there?

Second question - are you looking for a school where your child will learn to speak, read and write Thai.....if not you should be checking out locations of International schools in that region....

If you can't find any schools teaching English or American Curriculum (or maybe one which does the International Baccalaureate), you might want to re-think on where you locate to....

First question - why Nakhon Sawan? Presumably you have work or family there?

Second question - are you looking for a school where your child will learn to speak, read and write Thai.....if not you should be checking out locations of International schools in that region....

If you can't find any schools teaching English or American Curriculum (or maybe one which does the International Baccalaureate), you might want to re-think on where you locate to....

family live in nakhon sawan.

looking for a bi-lingual school or a thai school.

It might be worth your while doing a 'search' on this site...sure there was a similar thread, and I believe there are some bi-lingual schools there who do extra English lessons as well?

Yes, its called Yuwapat, my partner called them yesterday, my daughter must pass a test in thai before she can start the school.

we will be arriving June 2016, the test is not until March 2017 and that is the students starting in May 2017, what does she do from june 2016 until may 2017 ?

she can speak a little thai but does not read thai.

I have lived and worked in nakhon sawan for the last 8years, i have 2 kids, a boy 7 and a girl 6. I have looked at both the schools you mentioned. My son attends St.Josephs behind Big C, he boards with a teacher as we live 90km from NS city. My daughter makes a 1and a half hour journey each way to attend a school in Lat Yao. In the 1 year my son has attended St Josephs he has learnt to read and write very well. The hiso thais send there kids to Yuwapat as they say they teach very good, but i think its more about status personally. One of the most important parts of being a parent is ensuring your kids get the best education available, in Thailand that means you get what you pay for. Yuwapat claims to be an international school yet none of their staff can converse with me in english. I have done extensive research on education in thailand and in my opinion the international schools are far superior, teaching either an american or english syllabus. From Nakhon Sawan the nearest international schools are St John Mary in Saraburi, fees inc. boarding approx 300k per year per child, they teach an american syllabus(california). after that you have St Stephens in Korat, they teach english syllabus. Both of these schools teach all classes in English. I am moving my kids to St Marys later this year. I hope this helps you understand the options.

I have lived and worked in nakhon sawan for the last 8years, i have 2 kids, a boy 7 and a girl 6. I have looked at both the schools you mentioned. My son attends St.Josephs behind Big C, he boards with a teacher as we live 90km from NS city. My daughter makes a 1and a half hour journey each way to attend a school in Lat Yao. In the 1 year my son has attended St Josephs he has learnt to read and write very well. The hiso thais send there kids to Yuwapat as they say they teach very good, but i think its more about status personally. One of the most important parts of being a parent is ensuring your kids get the best education available, in Thailand that means you get what you pay for. Yuwapat claims to be an international school yet none of their staff can converse with me in english. I have done extensive research on education in thailand and in my opinion the international schools are far superior, teaching either an american or english syllabus. From Nakhon Sawan the nearest international schools are St John Mary in Saraburi, fees inc. boarding approx 300k per year per child, they teach an american syllabus(california). after that you have St Stephens in Korat, they teach english syllabus. Both of these schools teach all classes in English. I am moving my kids to St Marys later this year. I hope this helps you understand the options.

I have lived in phuket for the last 3years where my children attended the british int school there (500k per year per child), which I can no longer afford the fees. I come back to the UK for a short spell, but we have decided to move to the childrens mothers home town Nakhon Sawan.

The problem I have is getting them started at a school, both schools I approached said they must pass a test in thai before they can start at the school and that test is not until march 2017, yet we will arrive june 2016, also she does not read thai.

correct me if i am wrong but it is my understanding that the test for the schools you have mentioned is determine which set they go in for their grade, but if your daughter doesnt speak or have a basic understanding of thai alphabet then she will be a none starter. Even if you bought her a free passage which is wholly possible she wouldnt understand a thing in the classroom. Yuwapat is a Thai school through and through, it is extra english language lessons they offer. Depending where in NS province you are relocating to also. If you are moving to the city then Yuwapat is your only real option. If you are out of town it is a big province, St John Mary would be commutable from the east side, without boarding fees it would be approx 180,000 per year, 90,000 per semester. Unfortunately i live in the west side so my kids will have to board which doubles the cost. Your other option would be to place her in a free thai school from june 2016 till march 2017, at that age she willl learn thai very quickly. Good luck, i only answered your post as it is so local to me and the one thing i dislike about thailand is the education system.

correct me if i am wrong but it is my understanding that the test for the schools you have mentioned is determine which set they go in for their grade, but if your daughter doesnt speak or have a basic understanding of thai alphabet then she will be a none starter. Even if you bought her a free passage which is wholly possible she wouldnt understand a thing in the classroom. Yuwapat is a Thai school through and through, it is extra english language lessons they offer. Depending where in NS province you are relocating to also. If you are moving to the city then Yuwapat is your only real option. If you are out of town it is a big province, St John Mary would be commutable from the east side, without boarding fees it would be approx 180,000 per year, 90,000 per semester. Unfortunately i live in the west side so my kids will have to board which doubles the cost. Your other option would be to place her in a free thai school from june 2016 till march 2017, at that age she willl learn thai very quickly. Good luck, i only answered your post as it is so local to me and the one thing i dislike about thailand is the education system.

co-incidently, the childrens mothers family live in the catholic area which are those houses just behind st Josephs school.

I visited St Stephens in Korat, it only has 100 pupils in the whole school.

Do they learn much thai at St Mary's ? if not do you plan for your children to live and work in thailand when they are older ? how will they get into thai university without reading/writing thai or without a thai certificate of secondary education from a thai school ?

i am familiar with the catholic area, my son stays in a house there owned by one of the teachers from st josephs. I have never visited st stephens, i am surprised to learn they only have 100 students. My kids do read and write thai, that is why they are in thai school and not yet at st marys. I just feel the thai curriculum doesnt cover as much as we would expect. St Marys do the compulsory thai culture and language for 4 hours every week. when graduating they take the same thai high school tests as thai schools and if pass can apply for thai university. It will be up to my kids where they live and work when they are older, with globalisation where will we be in 10years.

i am familiar with the catholic area, my son stays in a house there owned by one of the teachers from st josephs. I have never visited st stephens, i am surprised to learn they only have 100 students. My kids do read and write thai, that is why they are in thai school and not yet at st marys. I just feel the thai curriculum doesnt cover as much as we would expect. St Marys do the compulsory thai culture and language for 4 hours every week. when graduating they take the same thai high school tests as thai schools and if pass can apply for thai university. It will be up to my kids where they live and work when they are older, with globalisation where will we be in 10years.

with St Marys teaching the american syllabus will they take both the thai and american test ?

Put her in a Thai government school, at 8 it doesn't matter she can't speak the language.

After two-four months in school she will be speaking Thai, reading and writing will take longer.

Temple school is often a good choice for the younger kids.

(Government and Temple schools are free up to age 12)

Forget bi-lingual, she needs complete immersion in the language with no other choice.

If you're a snob and want her to attend private schools of whatever kind, wait until high school.

Put her in a Thai government school, at 8 it doesn't matter she can't speak the language.

After two-four months in school she will be speaking Thai, reading and writing will take longer.

Forget bi-lingual, she needs complete immersion in the language with no other choice.

If you're a snob and want her to attend private schools of whatever kind, wait until high school.

what about reading and writing in english ?

I would like them to be able to do this for 2 reasons, I have a business in the UK which they may want to run when they are older or they may choose they want to go live in the UK when they are older.

If they goto a full thai school, will they be able to read and write in english when they are older ?

I would like them to be able to do this for 2 reasons, I have a business in the UK which they may want to run when they are older or they may choose they want to go live in the UK when they are older.

If they goto a full thai school, will they be able to read and write in english when they are older ?

I somehow doubt you will get a perfect answer, but you have received a lot of well focused suggestions and details to help you decide an answer.

In terms of the long gap, why not enrol the children in a local language school several days a week. If there are no language schools surely there must be a teacher or someone who could give some tuition using proper books as a step by step / progression guide.

My Thai granddaughters both go to a bilingual school in Chiang Mai, they have very well prepared course books and workbooks for Thai and English and for Mandarin. They also use internet based materials for further immersion / practice at home for all three languages.

You can buy many simple practice books at local bookshops, in malls etc. Both my Thai son and his Thai wife put great emphasis on the development of all 4 skills for both Thai and English and a bit less on Mandarin. They regularly buy extra cheap books so that there is some variety in the picture.

Good luck.

There in lies your problem reading writing English in central Thailand very hit and miss unless you pay big time.

Regarding enrolment in Thai schools here. Have a friend who has had the same problem. Not 1 local school would take his daughter if she couldn't speak or read write Thai. He has had to get her private lesions for several months. Still not able to get into a school as of yet but she is getting there.

Best of luck.

I would concentrate on the Thai, try and get the children to learn to read and write Thai and you do the English teaching. The English teaching that I have come into contact with here is very poor and not up to standard. Where western teachers are involved I get the impression that they teach English the way the Thais want English taught not the way it should or would be taught in the west. The Thai English teachers I have spoken to dont seem to understand basic questions in English.

I sympathize with your problem, hope you manage to find a solution.

I am not being funny with this response but if you have a business in the UK and you want the best for your children, why not consider school in the UK.

Having spoken with many international school teachers in Thailand the general feeling seems to be that a good state school in the UK (subjective I know) is better than 90% of the international schools here from an an educational and opportunity point of view.

BIS Phuket to a Thai School in NS.......best for who?

I am not being funny with this response but if you have a business in the UK and you want the best for your children, why not consider school in the UK.

Having spoken with many international school teachers in Thailand the general feeling seems to be that a good state school in the UK (subjective I know) is better than 90% of the international schools here from an an educational and opportunity point of view.

BIS Phuket to a Thai School in NS.......best for who?

The school is the pre-cursor to living and working in that country. If I want my children to live and work in Thailand its better they attend a thai school. If I would like them to live and work in the UK then its an english school ( or international school ).

I don't like living and working in the UK, I do not expect my children to live in the UK when I don't like to.

I've thought and worried alot on this subject, I've come to this conclusion.

Thai schools prepare children for living and working in thailand, english schools prepare children for living and working in england. We boast english education is better than thai, it maybe so, however it is a means to an end, the end :- living and working either in england or thailand.

From my perspective, living and working in england, people have their equal share of problems as most other countries, they struggle every month to pay the rent/mortgage, bills etc just as much as the people do in Thailand.

For me the quality of my life is better in Thailand.

I don't know to what you refer by 3 hours on a bus, I think you are confusing me with another member on this forum.

Thai schools prepare children for living and working in thailand, english schools prepare children for living and working in england. We boast english education is better than thai, it maybe so, however it is a means to an end, the end :- living and working either in england or thailand.

From my perspective, living and working in england, people have their equal share of problems as most other countries, they struggle every month to pay the rent/mortgage, bills etc just as much as the people do in Thailand.

I don't know to what you refer by 3 hours on a bus, I think you are confusing me with another member on this forum.

Your correct on some things.

English schools prepare peeps for living in England also the 'real world'

Thailand as you said prepare peeps for living in Thailand. Most leave school idiots. But they will be Perfectly clued up to receive their £8 a day wage.

The better life is only obtained here if you have big monies that's being replenished on a regular basis, also have the Thai mind set.

IE don't mind having things done 3/4 times to get it right or half right as the case maybe.

Also helps if you are bald at least you cant pull your hair out most days.

Thailand as you said prepare peeps for living in Thailand. Most leave school idiots. But they will be Perfectly clued up to receive their £8 a day wage.

The better life is only obtained here if you have big monies that's being replenished on a regular basis, also have the Thai mind set.

IE don't mind having things done 3/4 times to get it right or half right as the case maybe.

I agree British education is more the "world stage" where as Thailand seems to be more insular to the country only. Probably contributed to by the fact the british currency has a high value enabling its people to afford to travel abroad compared to the thai currency which as a low value which makes it less affordable for thai people to travel abroad.

I'm not sure about leaving school/university as idiots, maybe idiots from "the wests" reckoning, but amongst the thai society many are valued and contribute toward its society in the same way as peeps leaving english education system are valued and contributed toward our society.

Why is it so many people, even the thais, value the english schools. Yet when it comes thai companies employing people, all the jobs will go to people coming from thai schools? English schools are for those that intend to return to england to live their lives, I intend to live my life in thailand, coming from an english school my children would not stand a chance competing against the thais for a thai job.

The £8 a day wage is the thai equivelant of the minimum wage in Britain. British people seem to have more money than thai people because the British currency is a higher value than the the thai currency, its more affordable for a british person to travel abroad, however within their own respective countries british people are no better off than thai people.

I agree British education is more the "world stage" where as Thailand seems to be more insular to the country only. Probably contributed to by the fact the british currency has a high value enabling its people to afford to travel abroad compared to the thai currency which as a low value which makes it less affordable for thai people to travel abroad.

I'm not sure about leaving school/university as idiots, maybe idiots from "the wests" reckoning, but amongst the thai society many are valued and contribute toward its society in the same way as peeps leaving english education system are valued and contributed toward our society.

Why is it so many people, even the thais, value the english schools. Yet when it comes thai companies employing people, all the jobs will go to people coming from thai schools? English schools are for those that intend to return to england to live their lives, I intend to live my life in thailand, coming from an english school my children would not stand a chance competing against the thais for a thai job.

The £8 a day wage is the thai equivelant of the minimum wage in Britain. British people seem to have more money than thai people because the British currency is a higher value than the the thai currency, its more affordable for a british person to travel abroad, however within their own respective countries british people are no better off than thai people.

Educated Thai's mostly Chinese get all the good jobs or run their own business. All have studded English in G.B or America some even in Thai Uni: but only if they don't have the cash.

The English £8 an hour 'more I believe now' is what the Thai get for a hole day a lot less if they are not educated. At present the minimum is £6 a day I just tried to make it sound a bit better.

When your over next if not now ask any Thai to add up. Out will come a calculator they are 99% clueless on maths. Good education for what life will bring in any country let alone Thailand, sorry I don't think so.

Just another EG my 13 year old Thai/English daughters English is far better than the plank of wood that is teaching her now, she even gets asked to help out the Thai English teacher.

New government idea is to now not employ English native speakers to teach they want only Thai teachers to do that Buddha, help Thai's if that ever comes to fruition.

Regards to travel. A Thai passport is about as good as a postage stamp they cant go to many places even if they win the lotto.

Point of order your English daughter cant work/own anything here unless she has Thai nationality. Duel one's not allowed here. Well legally. Only hope that she was born here or that's another huge problem you'll have to sort out.

Sorry to be the bearer of it's not all rosy here, just trying to point out some of the pitfalls.

Believe you me I could tap out all day on the not so good bit's.

Your main problem is the fact that she cant speak read write Thai. Without same she's not going to get into any Thai School. First of many big problems for you to sort out.

Best of luck.

Educated Thai's mostly Chinese get all the good jobs or run their own business. All have studded English in G.B or America some even in Thai Uni: but only if they don't have the cash.

The English £8 an hour 'more I believe now' is what the Thai get for a hole day a lot less if they are not educated. At present the minimum is £6 a day I just tried to make it sound a bit better.

When your over next if not now ask any Thai to add up. Out will come a calculator they are 99% clueless on maths. Good education for what life will bring in any country let alone Thailand, sorry I don't think so.

Just another EG my 13 year old Thai/English daughters English is far better than the plank of wood that is teaching her now, she even gets asked to help out the Thai English teacher.

New government idea is to now not employ English native speakers to teach they want only Thai teachers to do that Buddha, help Thai's if that ever comes to fruition.

Regards to travel. A Thai passport is about as good as a postage stamp they cant go to many places even if they win the lotto.

Point of order your English daughter cant work/own anything here unless she has Thai nationality. Duel one's not allowed here. Well legally. Only hope that she was born here or that's another huge problem you'll have to sort out.

Sorry to be the bearer of it's not all rosy here, just trying to point out some of the pitfalls.

Your main problem is the fact that she cant speak read write Thai. Without same she's not going to get into any Thai School. First of many big problems for you to sort out.

Best of luck.

nothing of what you mention I don't know already, I have lived in Thailand for 3 years.

My children hold both thai and british passports so will have no problem entering or leaving Thailand.

I acknowledge your point about adding up, most thais do reach for the calculator whilst I have added it up before they hit the enter button.

The minimum wage in UK is rising by 50p to £7.20 in october 2016 thats over a 7% increase, usually the increase is crica 1 to 3% so this must be an attempt by the UK government to stoke inflation to help people afford, amongst other things, to buy a house.

The min wage in Thailand starts around 300 baht per day.

Because we intend to live in Thailand my children will need to compete with other thais for a job, hence they are better off attending the same schools/universities as them, attending an english school unless supplemented with extra reading and writing in thai after school will hinder their chances of landing a job in Thailand when their graduate. Talking of graduation, how are my children to graduate a thai university, when they have attended a english secondary school, they could'nt they would have to go back to UK for university.

Best of luck.

nothing of what you mention I don't know already, I have lived in Thailand for 3 years.

My children hold both thai and british passports so will have no problem entering or leaving Thailand.

I acknowledge your point about adding up, most thais do reach for the calculator whilst I have added it up before they hit the enter button.

The minimum wage in UK is rising by 50p to £7.20 in october 2016 thats over a 7% increase, usually the increase is crica 1 to 3% so this must be an attempt by the UK government to stoke inflation to help people afford, amongst other things, to buy a house.

The min wage in Thailand starts around 300 baht per day.

Because we intend to live in Thailand my children will need to compete with other thais for a job, hence they are better off attending the same schools/universities as them, attending an english school unless supplemented with extra reading and writing in thai after school will hinder their chances of landing a job in Thailand when their graduate. Talking of graduation, how are my children to graduate a thai university, when they have attended a english secondary school, they could'nt they would have to go back to UK for university.

Your only chance of your children learning Thai and English before they are fluent in Thai is with a boarding school here, there are many but they isn't any in N/S or north of BKK to my knowledge, they are also very expensive. I do know of one that will take English speaking only children but that's on the edge of Pattaya. Their curriculum does include Thai + all other subjects to English standards. There must be nearer one's than that though.

Thanks for the update on the minimum wage in Blighty, just shows you how long since I have been back there. I had thought it was nearer £9.

As I said £6 a day here. I do have a top man that can do almost everything very well, unusual for Thais he gets 400bt a day = £8.

Regards Uni here it's called you have paid so you will pass. I live near a Uni everyone passes in all subjects even English.

Not one I know 'and that's many' speaks any form of understandable English reading/writing forget it, even though they have learnt it Allegedly.

Welcome to Thailand.

Your only chance of your children learning Thai and English before they are fluent in Thai is with a boarding school here, there are many but they isn't any in N/S or north of BKK to my knowledge, they are also very expensive. I do know of one that will take English speaking only children but that's on the edge of Pattaya. Their curriculum does include Thai + all other subjects to English standards. There must be nearer one's than that though.

Thanks for the update on the minimum wage in Blighty, just shows you how long since I have been back there. I had thought it was nearer £9.

As I said £6 a day here. I do have a top man that can do almost everything very well, unusual for Thais he gets 400bt a day = £8.

Regards Uni here it's called you have paid so you will pass. I live near a Uni everyone passes in all subjects even English.

Not one I know 'and that's many' speaks any form of understandable English reading/writing forget it, even though they have learnt it Allegedly.

Welcome to Thailand.

heres a good website for teaching your children to read in english, it has the same books as the UK state schools and int. schools http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home

Welcome to Thailand.

heres a good website for teaching your children to read in english, it has the same books as the UK state schools and int. schools http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home

Yes I agree with you but your problem is your children cant read/write 'Speak? Thai.

Till they do no local school.

Archived