Buying a small long tail boat here?

garyk

Not sure what you call them? But, I want to buy a small long boat and a small Honda motor and explore the waterways in the south of Thailand.

My question is do you need a permit? Do you need to register them? Is it legal to own one and drive it around the channels and bays in Thailand?

The boats are fairly cheap and the motor is not expensive. So, I was thinking of trying it out. Don't want to get in trouble though.

I was thinking it would be better in very shallow channels. I have seen the guys pull the propeller almost out of the water to keep going.

Have you tried to drive or steer one? How is it more dangerous than a regular outboard motor?

I used to live in koh chang and have owned half a dozen boats you do not have to have license to use a boat for pleasure and a boat under 14 foot doesnt have to be registered with the marine department .

Regarding long tails my first boat was a long tail there not easy to stear.your almost fighting with it to keep it in a straight line also very noisy and dangerous .

It takes the pleasure out of owning the boat

I did a quick search a while back and it seemed that to pilot any motorized boat in Thailand you require a license and you need to be Thai to get a license.

Nonsense. Being Thai is not necessary.

As the previous poster has established, boat must be registered over a certain length.

I was thinking it would be better in very shallow channels. I have seen the guys pull the propeller almost out of the water to keep going.

Have you tried to drive or steer one? How is it more dangerous than a regular outboard motor?

Long tail engine is one of the most idiotic local inventions ever, get a decent boat engine and leave this lethal third world garbage to locals who know (mostly) how to handle it.

a little advice...if it is a whim of an idea, forget it, but if you have lived in the area and know the boat people go for it.

you probably will over pay for the boat or get a log if you have no knowledge to these boats. small one are not difficult to steer. if you can not moor it at your house the odds are it will be gone or on the bottom. had one for years and never a problem besides the problems that come with owning a boat...as they say the two happiest days with owning a boat is the day you buy it and the day you get rid of it...good luck

Archived