Ticket to Paradise: Documentary on Isaan girls’ desire to marry farang shown at JAM

rooster59

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why just pick on girls from Isaan ?

When any Thai states she is looking for a farang, it is all about the money.

Not quite empirical but through my years in Thailand, I can see that Chiangmai girls will go for Japanese while Bangkok girls will look for Japanese, Korean & Singapore men. Songkla more Malaysia match up. Not necessary all provinces prefer farang.

Japan, Korea, Singapore, the one common denominator............. Money.

Is this supposed to be a documentary on trafficking?

Why don't they make a documentary about British women who live in so-called "sink estates" in the UK and who try to find a husband to marry and get out of a location that is violent, deprived and soulless?

Women who are poorer marrying men who are well-off is the stuff of dreams, of contemporary culture - it has frequently come up as the theme of a Hollywood movie - but we don't call it trafficking.

Why don't such organisations target the horrible enslavement of women (and sometime men) by traffickers? What about the people trafficking into the EU from Syria and elsewhere? What about the sex slaves in cheap brothels whose passports have been confiscated and who may have been tricked regarding the nature of the work?

The point about the Isaan women is that they have a choice. The trafficked persons I cite in the last paragraph do not. Lets leave the lonely Western men and the Isaan girls who long for a better life alone.

Lived with an issarn girl for the last 12 years, and still think daily about leaving her... Shes not lazy, doesnt ask for money and is completely self sufficient with her own business. so why would i think about leaving her you ask?

Well to put it bluntly - its like living with a child, a very uneducated child. A very boring and highly volatile selfish and closed minded individual. Ofcourse i never thought that when i met her... infact i saw her as being much better than what was currently available, probably one of the better ones. But ask yourself as you live in this 3rd world, is this a step up or a step down? who benefits most from this relationship? us or them?

Yes child like and I would add that many being emotionally immature and having a lack of curiosity makes it difficult to have a meaningful discussion about anything much, unless it's food or family of course. If you are looking for any sort of intellectual stimulation then it's unlikely, but not impossible, that an Issan girl will be able to provide it. If silent moods, irrational outbursts and an inability to reason are your thing though, well they are the best there is. whistling.gif Never argue with any Thai woman, you cannot win as you are at a disadvantage from the start, men have a need to make sense based on logic. She will as likely as not just be in it for the screaming and talking nonsense, see it every day on the lakorns

Ok ask your Issan girl, in Thai if you like, if the depiction of female behavior in lakorns is art imitating life or is it the reverse, do lakorns influence the way they behave in real life? Mai khow jai, what you mean, or you crazy is mostly what will get as an answer. Their ability to think critically is very poor, as a rule of course. Similarly ask what they thought of a film and it will be sanook / mai sanook or chop / mai chop!

Give me an Issan girl over a self-absorbed entitled white woman any day. just saying.

You a sad boy!

Theres good whiteys out there. There isnt 1 isan girl who isnt marrying to get out of the village life.

there isn't a white woman who isn't looking to get out of her life as it it is either

it's all down to motivation and trying rather than looking for excuses. Mrs family were very poor, brother entered the monk hood, they sent him to Uni and he's a teacher. He sponsored my mrs a lot for her education. The rest of her sisters, one degree works at Bangkok Bank, one housewife, one the 100k noodle seller, she got a loan to start off. Another brother went to College helped by family, electrician at Chula Uni. Last one a nanny earns the least at 30k a month goes all over the world with her employer. I imagine all the girls could have given up before they started but chose not to. My mrs tells a story of when they were kids, all they have one day was rice and one egg so they cut the egg up with cotton so they all got a bit. Takes getting off your ass, not laying on it.

you really are one dimensional ...do you think every family could do this? who would buy the noodles if everybody was selling them, or teaching (not that educational standards are that great in Thailand past primary school) or electricians ...

There seem a lot of comments on this thread which have nothing to do with the OP whistling.gif

If anyone has a couple of hours to kill I highly recommend Janus Metz's documentaries on Thailand "Love on Delivery" and "Ticket to Paradise" thumbsup.gif

They are also called "Ty to Thailand and "Thailand to Ty."

Both are on Youtube:

I don't see what either have to do with "human trafficking".

From time immemorial women have "married up" to escape poverty or to better themselves.

RAZZ

it's all down to motivation and trying rather than looking for excuses. Mrs family were very poor, brother entered the monk hood, they sent him to Uni and he's a teacher. He sponsored my mrs a lot for her education. The rest of her sisters, one degree works at Bangkok Bank, one housewife, one the 100k noodle seller, she got a loan to start off. Another brother went to College helped by family, electrician at Chula Uni. Last one a nanny earns the least at 30k a month goes all over the world with her employer. I imagine all the girls could have given up before they started but chose not to. My mrs tells a story of when they were kids, all they have one day was rice and one egg so they cut the egg up with cotton so they all got a bit. Takes getting off your ass, not laying on it.

you really are one dimensional ...do you think every family could do this? who would buy the noodles if everybody was selling them, or teaching (not that educational standards are that great in Thailand past primary school) or electricians ...

I am not saying every family should or can sell noodles, what I am saying is there are far more opportunities these days than prostitution or marriages of convenience for Issan girls. Those who deny it and who play the poverty card are usually the girls customers, who like to justify what they are doing as helping out the poor peasants with no alternatives.

what I am saying is there are far more opportunities these days than prostitution or marriages of convenience for Issan girls.

Thai hookers are generally either lazy or drunks (sometimes both).

If you gave them job opportunities, they wouldn't be interested.

Absolutely correct, many girls down here in the wealthy area of rayong and also local are also looking for farangs too. Yes , some come here from up north too, looking for work in the factories etc but many are also local too.

what I am saying is there are far more opportunities these days than prostitution or marriages of convenience for Issan girls.

And the reasons are many. One they have to get pissed because of the life they often cannot avoid. If they get a job opportunity , very ofetn it will pay less than half what they can earn in a bar or they are over 35 ish and cannot get regular jobs, or if they don't have a degree there is very little hope to get any decent job paying good money , regardless of their capabilities to the job. Very sad to be honest.

if they don't have a degree there is very little hope to get any decent job paying good money , regardless of their capabilities to the job. Very sad to be honest.

the education trolls are back!

i see over thirty year old women in the same market for years selling their goods/veggies/fruits etc. so they are earning enough to continue to be there and live a thai lifestyle. so how do you figure they have a PHD in Philosophy to do that? they seem perfectly happy with their lot to me, always a smile and good natured.

And the reasons are many. One they have to get pissed because of the life they often cannot avoid. If they get a job opportunity , very ofetn it will pay less than half what they can earn in a bar or they are over 35 ish and cannot get regular jobs, or if they don't have a degree there is very little hope to get any decent job paying good money , regardless of their capabilities to the job. Very sad to be honest.

I am sorry but annot agree with you. I put it down to their laziness and need to party every day. They love the life. Ok a small percentage may be as you described but the majority are there for the easy money and free parties. As they say "you can take a girl from the bar but you can never take the bar from the girl". If you do get one from the bar then generally the moment your back is turned, and given the opportunity, she will be back there either as a customer or worker. Do you think they are all forced into bar work? They love it. Unless of course the ATM walks in. Then the sad stories and the sick grandma and sick buffalo comes into play.

I met a working girl once through my one of my mrs customers when he needed translation services. The girl worked at the Pent, just an upmarket bar opp the Brit Embassy, the girls were not much different from soi cowby. This particular prostitute had given up her job in quality control and had a good degree and was not from a very poor family. Nobody had forced her to do it, she had decided to become a prostitute because she was lazy and greedy, liked getting up at 3 pm and out to party all night. Bet she looks a state now though.

You go ahead and take away your gf/ wifes car in US and see how long she is going to stay with you. Only young girls fall in love. After 23years and up its all about finding a good future partner, no matter what country.

You go ahead and take away your gf/ wifes car in US and see how long she is going to stay with you. Only young girls fall in love. After 23years and up its all about finding a good future partner, no matter what country.

Nonsense. It's the 21st century. Women in developed countries can make their own way in the world. Plenty of them have done so, and have absolutely no need for the outdated concept of a man to provide for them.

I don't agree with you, my Thai wife had 3 dreams

1 to go to university and get a good education (she got her master degree)

2 work for an airline ( she did for many years )

3 to marry a Farang ( we married for 13 years and she financially supports me now )

Not every Thai girl is the same

I don't agree with you, my Thai wife had 3 dreams

1 to go to university and get a good education (she got her master degree)

2 work for an airline ( she did for many years )

3 to marry a Farang ( we married for 13 years and she financially supports me now )

Not every Thai girl is the same

Good posting.

Very difficult not to be subjective and generalise

There are some good girls but difficult to find,if you find her don't lose her

If 2 people are happy together it is nobody else's business.

If a foreign man can marry a young Thai woman and provide for her in the traditional way and this fulfills his need to do his traditional role. And the woman he marries comes from a culture that embraces the traditional role models and she respects the man for being a good provider. Then let them be happy and everyone else should go mind their own business.

Who sets the standard for what people should do with their lives no one.

The chances of a man being able to fulfill a desire to care for a wife and family in most countries now is gone.Women want to much and are self centered in most fully developed countries the man is made to feel inferior. If a man can find a woman and situation that gives him worth others should leave him alone. If he has to change countries to do it more power to him.It is a case of being a man and walking away and finding a new life for himself .Just like a divorce.

But no people have to stick their nose in other peoples business and judge it and try to tell people how to live their lives.

If they want to make a documentary about women in the sex trade why not do one that shows the lazy,greedy or drug addicted woman who prays on lonely men. Rather than have a family and be responsible..

Archived