Ticket to Paradise: Documentary on Isaan girls’ desire to marry farang shown at JAM

rooster59

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You DO know you didn't have to get married again to get laid here, right?

But I DID need to get married to have parental rights over my children.

LOL!

No, you didn't

Looks like you cocked it up again. MaeJo

If only you were right. Unless you are married, a farang's parental rights are zilch in Thailand. Try getting a dependent extension for your kid if you're not married to the mother.

LOL!

No, you didn't

If only you were right. Unless you are married, a farang's parental rights are zilch in Thailand. Try getting a dependent extension for your kid if you're not married to the mother.

You need to get your facts straight

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

LOL!

No, you didn't

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

Ok. Either married or prepared to go through the courts. Would this still allow the child to be added to the non-married farang father's extension?

Ok. Either married or prepared to go through the courts. Would this still allow the child to be added to the non-married farang father's extension?

Yep and the criteria for that extension is less strict than that for the marriage extension

What's more, you'll always be able to get a visa (if not an extension) provided you have the birth cert, the legalization papers and some dosh in the bank

Not like if you get divorced in which case your marriage extension is history

Court thing is a doddle if the mother consents - takes a couple of months and far fewer implications for the father than ending up married to a Thai woman

• 4 weeks later...

An academic study was published just last week on this exact subject by Sociologist PhDs from the University of Singapore. Anyone interested in this subject should take a look. For me it is the most oblique and stilted use of language I have seen in a long time. But it seems to be exactly what the movies are about. Go figure. If anyone wants to read this and explain it to me I would welcome your comments. But for me this is more evidence of why the craziest Internet hyperbole has a bigger influence on foreign policy (TIP) than quality academic research.

Just Google:

From Sex Tourist to Son-in-Law, Emergent Masculinities and Transient Subjectivities of Farang men in Thailand

LOL!

No, you didn't

I have one but I approached the family court to be recognized as the father of my son.

LOL!

No, you didn't

Yes

• 1 month later...

and than

come to TVF to tell the stories how it all went to the dogs from there, half of these

pages filled with hard luck and stupidity stories about farangs marrying Issan girls.....

And probably more than half of these pages filled with great success stories about farangs marrying Issan girls.

Same as western marriages. Some work out and some do not.

u

no where there is a great income inequality they tend to not work out as much

and than

come to TVF to tell the stories how it all went to the dogs from there, half of these

pages filled with hard luck and stupidity stories about farangs marrying Issan girls.....

And probably more than half of these pages filled with great success stories about farangs marrying Issan girls.

Same as western marriages. Some work out and some do not.

Its not the same.

It is the same. Women in the west (USA and Europe) also marry to improve their financial situation and stability. The number of young attractive western women that have married older rich men are too numerous to list. Of course, not as numerous as in Thailand but the cost to provide security and privilege is significantly less than in the west. I realize this occurs much more often in Thailand and for many village girls it is thought of as the only way to break out of poverty. For many, given the circumstances it probably is the only way out of poverty.

Just don't think that this does not occur in the west, the amount of money required of the husband is much more and the amount of girls that use this route is less but that is because there are many other ways to become secure. Don't fool yourself into thinking it doesn't happen in the west, it does.

The guys who made bad choices and ended up with bad Isaan girls feel less foolish when the assume everyone else is as naive as they were and claim the problem is that all Isaan girls are bad rather than accept that made a mistake.

There are many good Isaan women out there and many good farang / Isaan marriages.

I have had a great marriage with an Isaan woman for 15 years now.

If you guys ever want to give it another try, I have some good advice for you.

Don't go looking for a good woman in a bar.

My GF is from Isaan. We have been together 18 months and live in a very modest apartment in BKK. She works in a restaurant every day for a pittance and contributes to the rent and food where she can. She does not want to live in the UK but would like to visit, and we are thinking of moving to her village area to settledown. So as long as this continues to be the trend then I am more than happy and only time will tell.

My GF is from Isaan. We have been together 18 months and live in a very modest apartment in BKK. She works in a restaurant every day for a pittance and contributes to the rent and food where she can. She does not want to live in the UK but would like to visit, and we are thinking of moving to her village area to settledown. So as long as this continues to be the trend then I am more than happy and only time will tell.

You obviously have very little regard for your GF if you allow her to work "in a restaurant every day for a pittance" instead of giving her a better life of staying at home and looking after you. You sir are a disgrace.

You obviously have very little regard for your GF if you allow her to work "in a restaurant every day for a pittance" instead of giving her a better life of staying at home and looking after you. You sir are a disgrace.

People ready to judge before knowing all the facts

There is a lot of that here which is a shame because it's a very informative site

Her choice and we look after each other. She enjoys doing it and it gives her a bit of independence plus we are saving to build a house

We aren't all made of money

The point I was making is there are good people out there who don't just want Westeners for their money.

She wasn't really honest. Her statement that Thai men can't provide, but foreigners can? Bullocks.

Thai men understand much faster when a girl’s dishonest, while many foreigners believe the same old stories that makes the girls look clever, not the foreigners.

Thai men just don't pay a lot of cash for kids from another man and they don't give them a 30 K “allowance” to play cards either.

How many lower educated factory workers save money every month to make their dream come true to fly to Pattaya once a year?

How many of these girls know what a three shift week in a hot factory is?

You can't blame Thai, or any other Asian girls/ women. Aren't girls in more developed countries also looking for a rich guy in a Ferrari instead of a guy on a bicycle?

If there’s something they call reincarnation, I really wanna come back as a good looking girl, enjoy a good education and then look for an older gentleman who’s not the healthiest one anymore and tell him how much I’d love him.

Money can’t buy you love, but it certainly help you a lot. wai2.gif

I have had 3 Thai GF's. The last 2 Isaan. The last one against my advice went in Japan for 3 years. After 18 months she asked me for a fare of 400,000 Baht to return home. An actual fare from Japan I knew was less than 10,000 Baht. I could not accept that kind of greed and told her to stay there. The thing is Thai women in general demand more from a western man than they would a Thai man. If you don't give everything they demand they say you don't love them. Love comes from the heart and a good relationship not a bank account.

Finding a Thai GF online the usual way for a lot of falangs was not easy. Thai women are over-rated on there looks. Many are reasonably pretty and a few make good wives no doubt. But many of them are black widow spiders only to willing to devour you if you let them. Including divorce after they have taken all you have got. I signed up to a dating website for Ukranian women. The difference was remarkable, I did not have to try hard. The average income of the country is about the same as Thailand. Many are well educated, go to University, have a higher degree of intelligence and less cunning. 150 very good looking beautiful Ukranian women made the first move by writing very nice A4 letters to me. I read 11 before deciding on the 12th one. (Most of these women look like models from the covers of fashion magazines). I have establish a very good relationship and we are already discussing marriage. I offer to buy her something which is reasonably cheap and she will tell me not to, because she thinks it is too expensive. When the time comes I will not have to worry about a dowry and know everything about the culture until I am blue in the face. It is refreshing to know I can relax and feel like a human being without being trapped in or thinking about culture all the time in moving to Thailand. By the way Ukranians are Western women with a better attitude than most other Wectern countries and Thailand put together.

It seems that you never had a woman before you met your Thai GF’s. It’s normal in Thailand that the richest guy pays the bill. So when you spent 10/20 K a night in Pattaya, what else should the girl think of you other than being so rich?

How can you make such a statement on a website with happily married couples? There’re so many websites where the photos are taken away from a farcebook, or any other page, nobody even knows about.

Did you know that certain sex dating websites, that are using a SMS/text system, trying to hold you on the line for as long as possible, are actually men on the other line typing what you’d like to hear/read?

Dude, you had some chats and already thinking of a marriage? I hope that she’s not going to fly to Japan soon afterwards.

You’re trapped in your own beliefs’. She only refused a present, because she’s got something which is also called “common sense” and she might want to have the bigger part of the cake. You seem to very inexperienced regarding girls/ women in general. I’m not saying that you come over as naïve.

BTW, Ukrainian woman aren’t Western women (not long ago and they’re still behind the iron curtain and were not allowed to travel) How could they have a better attitude than most other Western country and Thailand girls/ women together?

I’m more than happy with my sweet Thai woman and we still love each other after 15 years.

Would you come back after only 15 months and continue your experience with your dream girl? Best of luck !!! facepalm.gif

"You obviously have very little regard for your GF if you allow her to work "in a restaurant every day for a pittance" instead of giving her a better life of staying at home and looking after you. You sir are a disgrace."

And you Sir have very little idea about women,any job low-paying or not keeping a woman busy in the daytime is better than her sitting at home plotting your downfall,that goes for both Western and Thai girls!

GAATW is wrong! The more I learn about Thai marriage to farang men the more contempt I have for the so called "rescue industry" AKA the oppressive paradigm like the Global Alliance Against Trafficking in Women (GAATW) who only sing American's tune attacking women in sex work around the world.

I think there are three kinds of marriages, maybe more. Women in sex work really do have a short cut to at least meet foreign men and some do get married. The romantic-based kind of marriage, so widely accepted in the first world, seem to be based on impractical ideas formed in movies and books and are the most likely to fail. Arranged marriages, common in much of the world, work very well and may be the most successful. A third kind are those with a large element of practical sharing of assets and expectations as we see between young Thai women and foreign men, sometimes much older men, but not always. The man provides an important upgrade and hope for the future for the whole Thai family with his greater resources. The woman provides in many cases a new family and missing social commitment that seems so hard to find in first world countries these days. When my children were gone from the home and my wife of 32 years had a great job she loved, she dumped me. Oddly enough I can find a replacement situation here that is attractive to consider with the same familial contact and nurturing I lost back home.

How many VISA readers are aware that Issan country music has at least seven popular Thai language songs that are very favorable about relationships with farangs. I am sure there are many more but I know of seven. In those songs a mother might sing to their daughters to find a farang man to take care of them. Some of the songs are funny, but none so far seem to be preaching negatively against relationships with farangs. By this I deduce there is a significant popular culture authenticating the very relationships these GAATW documentaries are attacking. I have lived in several other countries too - Albania, Dominican Republic, and others - and without exception women I met were very open about how they just did not like or trust the men of their own countries and thought foreign men were more respectful in every way. GAATW can spew negative publicity that largely remains unchallenged. It should be challenged! This is interesting: https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/voices/striking-defeat-us-government-s-anti-prostitution-pledge

It’s normal in Thailand that the richest guy pays the bill.

Absolutely correct.

Richest/oldest/person with highest social status pays.

Hence the "farang" usually gets the bill.

However, when I go out with my rather affluent older Thai mate - he never lets me pay - even in the UK.

RAZZ

Give me an Issan girl over a self-absorbed entitled white woman any day. just saying.

Yes, you can be lucky. My "luck" lasted 7 years, until I ran out of cash and she met someone else who hadn't. I know many men who are on their 2nd or 3 rd relationship and have used the mistakes of the 1st ones to find someone decent.

There are different morals here, different culture, its a minefield at the best of times and 4 of the 10 ways to have an awful marriage (from the book If You Meet the Buddha on the Road Kill Him, by Sheldon Kopp) are included in the frequent "age gap", language gap, culture gap and morals gap.

That goes for anywhere. I still like Thai people. Just becuse one of them has gone troppo on me, is not a problem.

No problem.

Just better yourself.

Get a good education.

But where to get a good education?

And who is going to pay for the education?

It is not that easy, if you come from a real poor family in a small village.

Many times you see that in bigger families one girl goes to work in "social services" to pay for the education of other children in the family.

I think we should never look down our noses to girls working in bars.

Whatever the reason they are human beings, and working for a living, or helping the family.

That around 60% of the women in Isan would like to marry a foreigner has more reasons.

Financial security is probably the most important one.

But, isn't that the main reason if they marry a Thai man.

Of course there are other reasons for marrying a foreigner.

But in this country money is highly important.

Although seen the financial disasters in the west through divorces I wonder if things are really worse in Thailand.

The divorce rate for mixed marriages in Khon Kaen actually is lower as the divorce rate for Thai marriages.

Guess the divorced guys are more vocal?

If anyone thinks getting married inthe west is any different than getting married in Thailand doesn't understand the physcology of marriage. Women look for a man who can ensure her and her childrens survival. This has been studied addnasum men look for a woman who can have healthy babies. It is a survival trait of the species.

What in the world is wrong with a woman looking for a man who can take care of her that is just the nature of things, The main thing about hooking up with one of these girls you know were you stand no bulls--t about I love you

My Udon Thani wife married me because she wanted someone to provide for her and her two sons. I married her because she was young and beautiful and fun to be with.

That was 18 years ago.

Who says marrying an Isaan girl doesn't work.

Give me an Issan girl over a self-absorbed entitled white woman any day. just saying.

Give me a Western, educated, critical, non-self-absorbed "cute" white woman over a "cute", "ignorant", "hey-handsome-man" Isaan farmgirl/bargirl who will be grandmother at the age of 37 coffee1.gif . I like to be able to speak to my "love" about something more than money, food, family and guys driving around on motorcycles w/out helmets, ghosts, etc. But then I never came here for the cheap women in the first place. whistling.gif

My Udon Thani wife married me because she wanted someone to provide for her and her two sons. I married her because she was young and beautiful and fun to be with.

That was 18 years ago.

Who says marrying an Isaan girl doesn't work.

I believe it works, if that is what u are looking for. Fair enough.

If anyone thinks getting married inthe west is any different than getting married in Thailand doesn't understand the physcology of marriage. Women look for a man who can ensure her and her childrens survival.

weird. last time i checked my "woman" had no kids, doesn't want kids, pays all her personal bills, loves her financial indepency... oh and she's also NOT fat, nor smelly or hairy, she can even properly clean herself after wc visit, she has silky skin (fair complexion though), and a great body, she doesn't complain or dominates or lies or envies, she thinks outside the box, she can be naughty too (lucky me!), she loves travels and adventure, she also occasionally likes "forbidden" things, she has heard about eg. coltrane and zappa, she reads books, she doesn't watch soaps, she knows how to turn me on without money changing hands, she even lets me stay in thailand for many months a year without being there herself and she never wears any makeup... weird. so weird. the problem with most guys here is that they are nothing different than joe sixpack, although most think they are cuz they live in LOS. so yes u are right, the women they are looking for here are the same they used to look for in the west except that ones here are more "exotical" and believe in ghosts. same same but different....

facepalm.gifbiggrin.png

Archived