Passport Control: Phuket police confirm will hold passports as they see fit

rooster59

Lost passport = BKK only. No honorary consuls. Came Sunday afternoon, got greeted with a handshake, hours later got the temporary passport. Boarded the plane on monday. I think I applied for the temporary passport because my old was expired, not lost, but cannot exactly remember. The procedure is the same anyway.

BKK only - I rest my case. This topic is about Phuket. How could I board my flight HKT to BKK without passport ID ???
With your drivers licence.
You think a regular tourist has a Thai DL .... Sure that would be accepted in my case (I expect, never tested at the airport) , but I don't plan to flee the country if my passport was confiscated .... well, we never know the future ... anyone with a Thai DL would hand over that to the police if demanded ... never my passport would be handed over.

This topic is really about short stay tourists getting into some sort of problem ...

Any DL will be fine.

But yes, time to get back on topic.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lost passport = BKK only. No honorary consuls. Came Sunday afternoon, got greeted with a handshake, hours later got the temporary passport. Boarded the plane on monday. I think I applied for the temporary passport because my old was expired, not lost, but cannot exactly remember. The procedure is the same anyway.

BKK only - I rest my case. This topic is about Phuket. How could I board my flight HKT to BKK without passport ID ???

And here was me thinking that the point was to advise people of their options on replacing a passport... And just by being in Phuket, doesn't mean your stuck in Phuket... You can get a ride over to the eastern seaboard and get on the train to Bangkok... Or be driven all the way... Overnight... No passport needed.

post-249978-0-03508700-1454851466_thumb.

ever heard about a BUS?

Can someone tell me why a province can have their own rules ? If it is going to be a policy; should it not be for the whole country ?

If it involves tourist, immigration, etc. It should be from the Government, ( General).

And here was me thinking that the point was to advise people of their options on replacing a passport... And just by being in Phuket, doesn't mean your stuck in Phuket... You can get a ride over to the eastern seaboard and get on the train to Bangkok... Or be driven all the way... Overnight... No passport needed.

Walk, hitchhike, motorbike, bicycle, boat, helicopter. Tons of methods to get to BKK, but no, he is just one of those guys who will be stuck in Phuket with a lost passport.

Hey immigration officer, I overstayed because I lost my passport and could not board the plane to BKK to replace it. cheesy.gif

Walk, hitchhike, motorbike, bicycle, boat, helicopter. Tons of methods to get to BKK, but no, he is just one of those guys who will be stuck in Phuket with a lost passport.

Hey immigration officer, I overstayed because I lost my passport and could not board the plane to BKK to replace it. cheesy.gif

Lol... Like I said, the patron of TV can , at times, offer good advise and information (although sometimes the delivery can be a bit harsh)

Can someone tell me why a province can have their own rules ? If it is going to be a policy; should it not be for the whole country ?

If it involves tourist, immigration, etc. It should be from the Government, ( General).

I would have thought that some policies would be universal, but certainly not all.

Most countries have state law and national law, I think, which would be the same as provincial law and kingdom law... But then, this requires a certain amount of autonomy, so may not apply as widely here.

That said, most central governments do try to influence laws and rules to make them homogenous.... In this case, law reformists may simply be slow in implementing change ( or may be trying to get other provinces to follow suit with them)

Lol... Like I said, the patron of TV can , at times, offer good advise and information (although sometimes the delivery can be a bit harsh)

My point was more about getting temporary passport papers in 'a couple of hours'.

Sure you can take land travel up to BKK - that's over 10 hours just to get there.

And the topic has now drifted away from confiscated passports to lost passports.

Question - has any board member had passport confiscated and managed to obtain replacemnet passport or papers. Lost passport is a completely different issue. Get police report and apply at your embassy - done and dusted.

I always travel with a color copy of my passport in my wallet. I never carry my original passport, unless I am leaving the country, entering the country, or visiting immigration for a few visa or a 90 day report. I repeat, never. Usually the police are satisfied with the color copy. It looks official. All hotels are satisfied, and you do NOT need your passport to travel with Thailand by air, if you have a Thai drivers license or ID card, or passport card. I would not put myself in a position where the police have this amount of power or influence. Remember, they are almost never your friend or ally here. Almost never. So, do not allow them this power. As the embassy states, the passport is the property of the government. When renting a motorbike, the color copy and a cash deposit is enough, or I move on to the next rental place. I would never give my passport to a bike rental place. You are setting yourself up for disaster, or financial extortion by doing so.

The fact is that the passport is the property of the Country issuing it. It is not the property of the holder. Therefore, does the Thai government have the right to hold another Countrys property?

Diamonds are forever

My point was more about getting temporary passport papers in 'a couple of hours'.

Sure you can take land travel up to BKK - that's over 10 hours just to get there.

And the topic has now drifted away from confiscated passports to lost passports.

Question - has any board member had passport confiscated and managed to obtain replacemnet passport or papers. Lost passport is a completely different issue. Get police report and apply at your embassy - done and dusted.

It's the same way. If your passport was illegally confiscated, you should do whatever you have to do if you need a passport.

"Lost passport is a completely different issue. Get police report and apply at your embassy"

Your country requires you to get a police report before you can replace a lost/stolen passport?

I'm glad America does not require that.

The one and only time I traveled in a third world country without my passport on my person....it was stolen.

By police.

At a police checkpoint.

DOH!!!

Britain, has become lickspittle to the third world. Do not expect any help.

Roger that ... useless in my opinion ..

It has been like that for well over 50 years. Still no improvement. The staff sit in their ivory towers and don't want you to bother them.

First question would be - do the "boys" have the legal right to confiscate and hold a passport? I thought that they don't. My belief is that it would require an order from the court.

This is the verbal prove that BIB is considering themselves as judge, jury and executioner.

Remember the thousand over souls during an anti-drug campaign when the PM was an ex-cop?

"This is the verbal prove that BIB is considering themselves as judge, jury and executioner." - no, they just consider themselves to be excellent negotiators, for a commission, of course. biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just one more reason to leave Thailand and never look back. coffee1.gif

But obviously you can't.

Oh, but I can and will. Just a matter of time. And not that much. coffee1.gif
Your putting unnecessary pressure on your self. Take a break from thai visa would be a better option.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

"Lost passport is a completely different issue. Get police report and apply at your embassy"

Your country requires you to get a police report before you can replace a lost/stolen passport?

I'm glad America does not require that.

The one and only time I traveled in a third world country without my passport on my person....it was stolen.

By police.

At a police checkpoint.

DOH!!!

Just for grins, I looked up a copy of the lost passport form for the USA. One of the required entries is "describe how you lost your passport" (I'm paraphrasing).

I wonder how they'd proceed under international law if you actually told them your passport was being held in lieu of bail?

Archived