BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Passport Control: Phuket police confirm will hold passports as they see fit

Have they sought permission from the British Government (for example) to do this?

The passport is property of "Her Majesty's Government" in the UK.

It does not belong to the passport holder.

“However, it is standard procedure to retain the passports of any foreigners facing any criminal charge, but after the matter has been settled in court and damages have been paid, we have no reason to hold the foreigner’s passport.”

Here are some more reasons to hold passports:

1. you are too lazy to return them.

2. you forgot you had them.

3. you misfiled them.

4. you haven't sold them yet.

Utterly BS as usual but TIT!

Only a court can confiscate a passport from a person as a measure stopping a person from leaving a country. They can look at it photocopy it to establish true identity......

If we look into "small print" - a passport is not even a property of the person it is issued to. Mine says something like property of the kingdom of ....... and i am purely a holder of the privilege to be issued one.....

Clearly the BIB is here taking a "god" role and stretching their legal rights again, but that is no surprise. coffee1.gif

If me I would never have waited 3 weeks, same day as told this BS i would have involved the embassy. as they are not allowed to confiscate it without a court order.

they where most likely fishing for a brown envelope.

wai2.gif

A passport is the property of the issuing country. It would reasonably be held by police in the case of an extreme crime such as murder but for a bump in the car no.

If your passport is kept by the police, it is essentially "stolen".

Mai bpen Rai.

Eat the cost. Apply for a new one. Move on with your life.

Y'all could learn a little something about life from your Thai friends, 555

Have a nice day!

Surely this is outside their powers? The answer is not to carry your passport, just a copy of the relevant pages.

If your passport is kept by the police, it is essentially "stolen".

Mai bpen Rai.

Eat the cost. Apply for a new one. Move on with your life.

Y'all could learn a little something about life from your Thai friends, 555

Have a nice day!

You should report the theft to the police

"private negotiations for damages arising from a minor car accident" is that really a criminal act?

Thailand doesn't give a rat's fart about international law and what a foreign passport or government may state. It will do whatever it wants, and with impunity because no embassy is going to kick up a fuss and make a diplomatic incident out of it, and any Thai lawyer who gets involved is not going to back a foreigner against the police.

That's just the way it is. Same as in the bigger picture China and Russia can do whatever they want and the most that happens is other governments issue a statement saying that they strongly condemn.

My holding the passport, the police are sure that you will not try to leave country. This is done by law enforcement through the world. Would you rather spend the time in jail, or turn over your passport?

Stay out of trouble, never rent anything.. No problem.. Surely it's not rocket science

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

'“A passport is the most important document that police can obtain as evidence when a foreigner is suspected or involved in a crime in the Kingdom ...' It is? For crimes involving travel documents, perhaps. Otherwise, that claim smacks of BS!

'“However, it is standard procedure to retain the passports of any foreigners facing any criminal charge ...' And Thais? Because RTP have lost more than a few of those, often with serious charges pending.

When all is said and done, I doubt the Thai police have the authority to withhold the passport of the citizen of another country, especially as it is that country's property.

Local BIB and Immigration are diffrent franchises.....They only work together when they have to.Its the same with the Labor departments and Immigration as well. One giant snake with multiple heads......Local cop keeps passport and Im a tourist. I know what I would do.........Embassy. One way return home document......later.

They seem to think: if you wear brown- you are god.

Actually, something else brown springs to mind.....

555 ! Living in Issan since ten years; never a policeman asked me or stopped me to see my passport which belongs to my government ; it's written on the last page .

I cycle about 15,000 km a year everywhere in Issan and northern provinces and have never my passport in my pocket .( unless I want to cycle on the roads border to Myanmar where there are army check-points) .

Don't need it .