Passport Control: Phuket police confirm will hold passports as they see fit

rooster59

I think the dilemma of controlling a suspect person is the same for every country. It might be so that the passport belongs to the issuing state, but who gives a shit when you'r the police who is trying to curtail a suspects movements or resolve a dispute between two parties. I think Governments see mildly on such temporary confiscation of passports.

I think this sort of things happen in Europe as well. Albeit under more controlled and regulated forms....

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's a choice between them holding me or them holding my passport, I don't care who it belongs to, or what the international law is.

They get the passport.

A pragmatic choice.

My point being that we need to be careful what we wish for.

If they are prevented from holding a passport as a means of keeping someone with a legal problem from skipping the country, they may just decide to hold foreigners as flight risks instead of offering bail.

That's perfectly legal by international law. But certainly not preferable.

Passports remain the property of the government of the issuing country. In the case of the UK that technically means the document is the property of HER BRITANNIC MAJESTY QUEEN ELIZABETH the second. That little nuggest should scare the proverbial out of any Thai cop. As I understand it technically within the Kingdom insulting anybody's royalty is by implication seen as an insult to His Majesty.

I think it also calls on all reading that statement to provide any assistance needed to the bearer.......

LM charge against the British Embassy anyone?

Have they sought permission from the British Government (for example) to do this?

The passport is property of "Her Majesty's Government" in the UK.

It does not belong to the passport holder.

The British Governments response after being informed, would be to do Absolutely Zero.

They have no interest in their British citizens. They have adopted the Khow Tow position.

do not upset any foreign power in any circumstance......Bl**dy Whimps.sad.png

There are so many apparent international lawyers on this forum... it's a wonder how such seemingly simple threads last so long!

BTW, what does TiT mean?

Yup... But some of its informative, especially if you don't talk the local lingo... There's at lot to be learnt about local custom and culture... While at times, reassuring you that your not alone or going crazy...And it can also be quite amusing, to boot, not to mention that's it's free....and... It responds well to the delete button, if you can take no more

And... if you don't know something... Ask here and perhaps be enlightened.

TIT... This is Thailand

But wait... Somebody may have a different perspective... So hold on... It may be a bumpy ride, after all... TIT

Simple get an emergency travel document and leave. If you however live in Thailand then you must also know that normal rules do not apply here and they change according to the amount of money that you can be milked for.

If I'm not mistaken, getting an emergency travel document will require a police report that documents a lost or stolen passport? And probably a sworn statement of some type that puts you in trouble with your own government if you fib about why you need the ETD.

The RTP may not communicate with immigration, but I suspect you'd have to come up with some significant tea money to get the police report from BKK if you were on a RTP list anywhere in the country.

And then you're in dutch with your own government when they find out what you did.

Not sure why anyone would care so much about the passport. If it is held "hostage" and you need it, either ask how much you should pay or get a new one by the "I lost it" route. "lost passport" report can be done at every police station, temporary passports are given within hours.

you are right. I checked this with my embassy (EU): "Lost passport" report and if possible Copies of your passport (incl. departure card and visa) and you will get a temporary passport to leave the country. Will take only a few hours (or you can wait for it) and it's free (my embassy) With this "passport" you can pass immigration. So....no sweat at all.

I would not want to put this to a test - a few hours .... I very much doubt that. Here in Phuket the Honarary British Consul has very limited powers, not sure he could issue a temp passport. Anyone tested that ?

Not sure why anyone would care so much about the passport. If it is held "hostage" and you need it, either ask how much you should pay or get a new one by the "I lost it" route. "lost passport" report can be done at every police station, temporary passports are given within hours.

you are right. I checked this with my embassy (EU): "Lost passport" report and if possible Copies of your passport (incl. departure card and visa) and you will get a temporary passport to leave the country. Will take only a few hours (or you can wait for it) and it's free (my embassy) With this "passport" you can pass immigration. So....no sweat at all.

I would not want to put this to a test - a few hours .... I very much doubt that. Here in Phuket the Honarary British Consul has very limited powers, not sure he could issue a temp passport. Anyone tested that ?

I'm struggling a little with the "lost passport" report can be done at every police station if it's the police in the OP that are holding the passport. Seems like there's a flaw in that cunning plan, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Or, maybe you can save some time and get the lost passport report before leaving the station where they're holding your passport?

One thing if it's a scooter rental or jet ski scam. But that's not this thread.

Edit: I wonder if the tiny little detail about the police holding the passport was included in the conversation with the embassy?

Under customary international law, passports are the property of the state which issued them In the case of a British passport, for example, the document belongs to the British government and not to the passport holder. The international case-law is clear - the impounding of a foreigner's passport is impermissible interference with the jurisdiction of the issuing State

Since when does the Tha police care about international law. Do they even know about them?

Under customary international law, passports are the property of the state which issued them In the case of a British passport, for example, the document belongs to the British government and not to the passport holder. The international case-law is clear - the impounding of a foreigner's passport is impermissible interference with the jurisdiction of the issuing State

Agreed the holder dose not own the passport (there on loan), maybe the Thai's don't comprehend this little bit of insignificant information? Another power and control mechanism, 'sort of' giving Thais great feelings of authority? Don't let the law stand in the way of good police procedural matters ermm.gif Simply more xenophobia vampire.gif

A passport does not belong to the individual to whom it is issued. It is the property of the issuing government and to confiscate it or to steal it is an offence against that government. If such an action is threatened the holder should demand to call his/her embassy and seek advice. (However, in the case of the British Embassy, you will not be given any advice or support and will be left to fend for yourself.)

The police can quite effectively photocopy the passport and place a marker with all border posts to disallow departure until the matter is resolved. That's all they can legally do.

The BiB know that they can't rely on their own efficiency or effectiveness. Putting a marker - might work, might not. Even if noticed someone might be tempted to turn a blind eye for the right consideration.

They can't control their own nationals who do runners whenever they feel like it. So, at least by grabbing the foreigners' passports they can stop them.

They couldn't give a fig for the law, any law. Whether it's against Thai Law, International Law or the "spirit" of any law. They will do as they please and that's it. No one is going to stop them, and so they will continue.

Whilst the police here continue to do as the please and make things up to suit themselves, nothing will change. And no seems to be reforming the police.

Agreed the holder dose not own the passport (there on loan), maybe the Thai's don't comprehend this little bit of insignificant information? Another power and control mechanism, 'sort of' giving Thais great feelings of authority? Don't let the law stand in the way of good police procedural matters Simply more xenophobia

Xenophobia, or compassion?

They could just as easily keep the foreigner in custody to prevent flight. Instead, they allow them out of jail and hold their passport to prevent a run for the border.

I know which way I'd rather be treated.

cops held my passport for 2 years over a problem with my work permit only letting me have it back for 90 day reporting. i only found out afterwards they are not allowed to do that. wonder if aussie embassy would have helped me get it back.

Two months back a Good BIB booked me for not wearing safety belt in Hadyai. Ask me to surrender my passport to him, and ask me to pay the fine before he give me back the passport. Had the cheek to ask if I wanted "assistance" with paying the fine, I said no need. Go straight to the Headquarters and paid the 500bt fine, and went back to look for him. Had the cheek to let me wait for 2hrs. Almost went to the Embbassy to report the whole thing.

Two months back a Good BIB booked me for not wearing safety belt in Hadyai. Ask me to surrender my passport to him, and ask me to pay the fine before he give me back the passport. Had the cheek to ask if I wanted "assistance" with paying the fine, I said no need. Go straight to the Headquarters and paid the 500bt fine, and went back to look for him. Had the cheek to let me wait for 2hrs. Almost went to the Embbassy to report the whole thing.

Quite common that with 'assistance' he meant a trusted motorbike taxi who could take care if it. Would have cost you probably 500 baht or so, but you could have been on your way without any delay.

I'm struggling a little with the "lost passport" report can be done at every police station if it's the police in the OP that are holding the passport. Seems like there's a flaw in that cunning plan, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Or, maybe you can save some time and get the lost passport report before leaving the station where they're holding your passport?

One thing if it's a scooter rental or jet ski scam. But that's not this thread.

Edit: I wonder if the tiny little detail about the police holding the passport was included in the conversation with the embassy?

Why you want to go to the same police station to do the report? At the embassy, only the police report counts and if it has written lost passport on it, you can say you lost in on the moon, does not matter.

Yes. Tested. At a real embassy. Within hours.

Care to say what location in Thailand and which country embassy you dealt with. Oh - and also what time/day of the week did you apply ... and when document received.

Clearly there are big differences in consular services offered by country. I consider servirces offered by France and Germany in Phuket are much superior to the dismal service by the UK.

Care to say what location in Thailand and which country embassy you dealt with. Oh - and also what time/day of the week did you apply ... and when document received.

Clearly there are big differences in consular services offered by country. I consider servirces offered by France and Germany in Phuket are much superior to the dismal service by the UK.

Lost passport = BKK only. No honorary consuls. Came Sunday afternoon, got greeted with a handshake, hours later got the temporary passport. Boarded the plane on monday. I think I applied for the temporary passport because my old was expired, not lost, but cannot exactly remember. The procedure is the same anyway.

Lost passport = BKK only. No honorary consuls. Came Sunday afternoon, got greeted with a handshake, hours later got the temporary passport. Boarded the plane on monday. I think I applied for the temporary passport because my old was expired, not lost, but cannot exactly remember. The procedure is the same anyway.

BKK only - I rest my case. This topic is about Phuket. How could I board my flight HKT to BKK without passport ID ???

BKK only - I rest my case. This topic is about Phuket. How could I board my flight HKT to BKK without passport ID ???

Oh, in that case of course you are stuck in Phuket and the police can hold your passport hostage and you can do nothing about it!

Pathetic.

With your drivers licence.

With your drivers licence.

You think a regular tourist has a Thai DL .... Sure that would be accepted in my case (I expect, never tested at the airport) , but I don't plan to flee the country if my passport was confiscated .... well, we never know the future ... anyone with a Thai DL would hand over that to the police if demanded ... never my passport would be handed over.

This topic is really about short stay tourists getting into some sort of problem ...

Archived