Do I need a work permit for an Online Shop ?

Hi

I am just going to put this question out there because the more I read on google, the more confusing it is.

Basically, I found a website, where I can buy an online shop called Usercart.com

I want to sell paintings both oil and water colours of different landscape paintings. Khunart.com, I want to sell to multiple languages and in the stages of setting up my business.

I am an expat and so my hobby will earn me a few quid while I am out here too.

My question is, do I need a work permit for an online shop. I will not have any suppliers except for stationary materials and paints etc.

I will be taking payments through Paypal.com or Stripe.com direct to a UK bank account, and then transferring the money to K-Bank here.

The only visible signs I am in business will be my art work and clerical work to support my accounts.

So do I need a work permit or can I just keep under the radar.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's a UK based operation with payments into a UK bank it's a UK business no matter where you're located.

Lots of people run a business via the internet while living abroad, it's the ideal loophole for expats.

If it's a UK based operation with payments into a UK bank it's a UK business no matter where you're located.

Lots of people run a business via the internet while living abroad, it's the ideal loophole for expats.

Thats what I was hoping. So I just submit a Self Assessment to the HMRC each year I guess ?

Do I not even declare it to the Thai Authorities ?

are you doing the painting yourself in Thailand ?

Yes, I have always love painting and the inspiration in Thailand is out of this world.

I suggest that since you are painting here and selling the output, whether within Thailand or overseas you will require a Work Permit with all the salad-dressing associated with it sad.png

Hobbies don't need a WP, working does, think about the chaps who were building boats (in Phuket IIRC) they were fine until they sold one sad.png

Moving to an appropriate forum for more directed comments.

Are you in it for the online shop, or for the painting itself?

Both would technically require a work permit if they're legal at all.

Painting (for sale) in Thailand may be considered an artisan endeavor and be off limits to foreigners altogether. Google will find the lists of activities that are off limits to foreigners. It's scary.

It is possible to have a website that locks out all IP addresses from various countries. For example, I doubt you'd be interested in sales to North Korea. You can do the rest of the math...

Edit: BTW, if you're confused, you're in good company. The rules and interpretation seem deliberately vague so they can enforce whatever they want, whenever they want. It's called "rule by law" (as opposed to "rule of law"). And certainly not unique to Thailand.

Legally, if your living in Thailand while earning money, your working and legally require a work permit, which you likely wont get. Catch-22.

Not necessarily, the Thai authorities won't know where the painting takes place unless you tell them but the important thing is that trading takes place as a UK enterprise.

Legally, if your living in Thailand while earning money, your working and legally require a work permit, which you likely wont get. Catch-22.

Not necessarily, the Thai authorities won't know where the painting takes place unless you tell them but the important thing is that trading takes place as a UK enterprise.

Right up until you ship one from an address in Thailand. That's pretty much a dead giveaway...

Totally incorrect "information".

Under Thai Law any "work" performed in Thailand requires a Work Permit.

Patrick

Right up until you ship one from an address in Thailand. That's pretty much a dead giveaway...

Exactly - depends on the volume of course but a Farang making regular visits to his local Post Office to send packages overseas could raise a red flag to authorities here; not a certainty but there's always a chance.

Patrick

Like so many things in Thailand, it doesnt really matter what anyone's opinion is, what matters is the opinion and the interpretation of any laws ect by that Thai person of authority on the day.

In short, its gamble no matter which way you want to argue it.

Archived