Staying in Thailand after cancelled WP.

Hi there, I have a question.

I have a WP valid for another 9 months and am about to head to Laos to get a new volunteer visa. However, I will be finishing my volunteering at the place I volunteer before the WP and volunteer visa will expire. If my current employeer cancels my WP, can I still stay as long as my volunteer visa hasn't experied or does it count as overstay? I have heard that they don't really check as much (not as strict) when you fly out, is this true?

Thank you for your reply.

So, as long as it's a visa and not an extension I am also fine to leave the country by ground and not just air?

If you have a multi entry visa you can continue with it until it expires, ie 'enter before date'

You can leave and enter land or air as often as you want up to enter before date.

If you can post what visa you have, single/multi, it's easier to answer your question.

Edit

Just read your first again and saw '9 months remaining' so take it as being a multi.

Edited by overherebc

So, as long as it's a visa and not an extension I am also fine to leave the country by ground and not just air?

If you have a multi entry visa you can continue with it until it expires, ie 'enter before date'

You can leave and enter land or air as often as you want up to enter before date.

If you can post what visa you have, single/multi, it's easier to answer your question.

Edit

Just read your first again and saw '9 months remaining' so take it as being a multi.

My WP does not expire for another 9 months, however my visa does. I am going to get a new non-immigrant, O volunteer visa in the next coming days, but only single entry, so it will be valid for 3 months. However, during these 3 months I will actually finish my volunteering and my initial question was if I stay in Thailand, let's say 1 month after the WP was cancelled will I have problems leaving the country?

Sorry for the confususion.

Edit

My WP does not expire for another 9 months, however my visa does. I am going to get a new non-immigrant, O volunteer visa in the next coming days, but only single entry, so it will be valid for 3 months. However, during these 3 months I will actually finish my volunteering and my initial question was if I stay in Thailand, let's say 1 month after the WP was cancelled will I have problems leaving the country?

You can stay for the time remaining on your visa.

I often add to say that sometimes the people you work for will try to tell you that you should cancel your visa as well. That's 100% wrong and is only because they don't know anything about the rules.

It's your visa and only Imm' can cancel but there is no reason why they should.

If you want to leave during your visa life for a few days get a re-entry permit before you have the break otherwise the visa will be cancelled when you leave.

• Like 1

Edit

You can stay for the time remaining on your visa.

I often add to say that sometimes the people you work for will try to tell you that you should cancel your visa as well. That's 100% wrong and is only because they don't know anything about the rules.

It's your visa and only Imm' can cancel but there is no reason why they should.

If you want to leave during your visa life for a few days get a re-entry permit before you have the break otherwise the visa will be cancelled when you leave.

In general,

The Visa is linked to your current position at the current employer.

The Work Permit is linked to your current position at the current employer

The Visa is linked to your Work Permit

The work permit tell the kind of your you are allowed to do in Thailand at the current position at the current employer.

not work permeant npo valid visa

work not as in the work permit then you are not allowed to do.

Employer cancel the work then no work permit.

No work permit no valid visa.

it is a very stright equation.

One start wondering when read all the items on the several forums about Visa and Work permit why do all people in these forum complain about the Thai how they do and think but infact are trying to do the same as what they complain about that the thai seem to do.

Visa, work permit, marriage all is straightforward. the Thia singed agreements and covenants as well have upgraded to the Western world standerds and rules. And what is implemented is the same or nearly the same as back home.

the implementation and execution of those laws, rules and regulations has still some flaws and as we see all they are (trying) getting improved on that too. When they catch up with it you have (nearly) the same situation as in the country many left just a matter of time, Something most on forums like this for some reason not want to understand por try to neglect..

Visa, Work permit, Marriage and things involved with that has the same straightforward consequences and implementations as in the western world.

In general,

The Visa is linked to your current position at the current employer.

The Work Permit is linked to your current position at the current employer

The Visa is linked to your Work Permit

The work permit tell the kind of your you are allowed to do in Thailand at the current position at the current employer.

not work permeant npo valid visa

work not as in the work permit then you are not allowed to do.

Employer cancel the work then no work permit.

No work permit no valid visa.

I have highlighted the incorrect information in your post - please stop posting if you don't know or can't use the correct terminology.

• Like 1