Best Kodi builds 2016-2021

WorriedNoodle

19 hours ago, Encid said:

I see that you have a 4K movie running.

Can you tell the difference between 4K and 1080p?

Not really, at least not to my eyes.

Perhaps if one had a really large TV (say 65") one might be able to tell the difference.

I just used the 4K movie to demonstrate the DAX 17.1 build. 

• 2 weeks later...

Very good fork. I installed it on my very old box and its given it a new lease on life.....the only downside is that the box does struggle at times.  I think its time to get a new box as 1gb ram is a bit sorry.

I was running Titanium under Kodi 16 but one day it decided to give up and all the screens changed.  For some unknown reason I could no longer get Titanium to load.

Ill stick with this fork and gadget junkies until I get a new box. It does find the streams a lot faster thats for sure.

On 5/6/2017 at 10:08 AM, mtls2005 said:

I've been using Titanium on Android 4.4 boxes (Kodi 16), and Gadget Junkies on Android 5 and PCs (Kodi 17)

There is a Kodi 17 fork for pre-Android 6 boxes, which allows use of Kodi 17 builds on those earlier devices.

https://www.entertainmentbox.com/install-kodi-17-krypton-android-4-4-solved/

The Kodi fork shown in the youtube is MyGica , but EboxMC is actually a fork from a fork, as it is the old version from MyGica.

Downlaod it from the direct source, since the latest version has the Kodi 17.1 skin and menu . Be aware that it is based on Kodi 17.0, which had many bugs and RTMP is not supported. For RTMP you need either Kodi 16.1 or 17.1, or a Kodi 17 fork based on 16.1

https://ares-project.uk/resources/mygicamc.34/download?version=40

45 minutes ago, CMKiwi said:

Very good fork. I installed it on my very old box and its given it a new lease on life.....the only downside is that the box does struggle at times.  I think its time to get a new box as 1gb ram is a bit sorry.

I was running Titanium under Kodi 16 but one day it decided to give up and all the screens changed.  For some unknown reason I could no longer get Titanium to load.

Ill stick with this fork and gadget junkies until I get a new box. It does find the streams a lot faster thats for sure.

With a 1Gb box you should refrain from using a build, as they are to bloated for the amount of RAM.

Better just install Kodi and the addons you will use, and it will work properly.

You can also side load LibreELEC and it will perform much better with Kodi, since you bypass the Android OS.

As for your Titanium build. You have to know if this is 16.1 or 17.0 based, and install a build according to the Kodi version it is based on.

Edited by janclaes47

The Titanium build I had was for the 16 I was using at the time. It worked very well until it gave up the ghost.

I've tried other builds as well on Kodi 16 and some were more successful than others.

It was only yesterday that I loaded the 17 fork as a trial and although it seems to pick up a lot more streams compared to running The Beast build on Kodi 16, there is quite a jittery picture.

I've had over 2 years out of the old box so I can't complain.

It is. But it's getting a LOT of bad press, bordering on hate, with all the crap, bloat and intrusive pop up ads on it these days. I've almost entirely switched over to Solid Explorer now. Also on the Play Store. I find it much more modern in feel and a lot lighter than ES. I kept ES around while getting the hang of Solid just in case there were things I needed to do quickly without wasting time to fathom out how. I tried one called XPlore too but just didn't get on with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went back to version 3.2.5.5 and stopped it being able to update. Works great and none of the bloatware.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

I went back to version 3.2.5.5 and stopped it being able to update. Works great and none of the bloatware.

Way to go I think.  That said, I really like Solid Explorer so stick with that now, still have X-Plore on both devices I use though.

This build has been well recommended...

I've just had my 4th go at Kodi as this build looked quite simple to use and hopefully proves reliable.

Initially, I've put it on my NUC as that is currently plugged into the main telly due to all the recent disruptions. I might give it a go on my Fire TV box if it proves worthwhile.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

I've just had my 4th go at Kodi as this build looked quite simple to use and hopefully proves reliable.

Here are some later instructions on how to install the build.

The original repo in the video may no longer work. Some reports say it's OK, others not.

Let us know your thoughts after you've installed it.

Here are some later instructions on how to install the build.

The original repo in the video may no longer work. Some reports say it's OK, others not.

Let us know your thoughts after you've installed it.

1st gripe. SD feeds labelled as HQ. They may be stable, but they aren't high quality.

2nd gripe. The usual one of spending ages finding what you want on a working feed, hence my huge preference to pay a small fee for ThaiExpatTV.

What are you specifically looking for?

I was just playing, but it was Betas on Specto.

The feed from thevideo.me wants 'authorization' whatever that is, and all the other feeds were SD.

I'm not really interested in anything that isn't 1080 and I'm not prepared to muck around for ages trying to find stuff that works and is good quality.

Also, just tried to play Beauty and the Beast from the 'carousel' and its terrible quality. The new Aliens movie has one feed that doesn't work.

Not much seems to have improved over the last year or so.

8 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

Do you mean the 2016 movie Beta Test?

There do not seem to be many 1080p stream providers for that particular film.

An alternative video addon to Specto is the popular Exodus addon and that only has one 1080p stream provider:

Capture135.JPG

Do you mean the 2016 movie Beta Test?

There do not seem to be many 1080p stream providers for that particular film.

An alternative video addon to Specto is the popular Exodus addon and that only has one 1080p stream provider:
Capture135.JPG.b7efc495422064fc7c0c016981fd27eb.JPG

No. The not very good series about a bunch of nerds.

13 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

No. The not very good series about a bunch of nerds.

It would seem that the Exodus addon only has this particular 2013 TV series in SD as well.

Sorry... I can't help you there.

/Edit: I also tried the 1Channel video addon... only SD quality there too.

Perhaps try a more recent TV series? One that was more popular and is still running?

39 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

The feed from thevideo.me wants 'authorization' whatever that is, and all the other feeds were SD.

I'm not really interested in anything that isn't 1080 and I'm not prepared to muck around for ages trying to find stuff that works and is good quality.

Also, just tried to play Beauty and the Beast from the 'carousel' and its terrible quality. The new Aliens movie has one feed that doesn't work.

Not much seems to have improved over the last year or so.

Yes the mediocre Amazon series Bets is unfortunately available in SD only, but Beauty and the beast 2017 is in HD.

In which quality these 2 cherry picked examples are available in Thai Expat TV?

beauty.JPG.503c5ee6f605afbde237099d74f50efb.JPG

No recorded TV series or movies will be available in 720p HD or 1080p Full HD unless they have been released on DVD or BlueRay first.

I use this website to keep advised on when new TV seasons or movies are released.

It saves me from wasting time looking for good quality streams.

• Like 2

Yes the mediocre Amazon series Bets is unfortunately available in SD only, but Beauty and the beast 2017 is in HD.

In which quality these 2 cherry picked examples are available in Thai Expat TV?

beauty.JPG.503c5ee6f605afbde237099d74f50efb.JPG

I use torrents for movies.

No recorded TV series or movies will be available in 720p HD or 1080p Full HD unless they have been released on DVD or BlueRay first.
I use this website to keep advised on when new TV seasons or movies are released.
It saves me from wasting time looking for good quality streams.

And yet, I have a dozen or more at 1080 that haven't been released yet according to that site.

15 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

And yet, I have a dozen or more at 1080 that haven't been released yet according to that site.

So what's your point?

It would seem as if you are being deliberately argumentative.

I am just trying to be helpful.

• Like 1

So what's your point?
It would seem as if you are being deliberately argumentative.
I am just trying to be helpful.

Sorry.

The link was very useful and meant you no negativity.

I've concluded that for me, Kodi is only something that may be useful if everything else fails, so I'll leave this thread to the masochists.

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

I use torrents for movies.

Fair enough, so Betas is available in HD or Full HD  and streaming on torrents? Same goes for Beauty and the beast 2017 release.

Could you please post a screen shot if so?

Edited by janclaes47

Downloaded it today and think I'll book a four week computer course on it so I can maybe understand what to do with it.

Navigation is as clear as mud to me.

All I want to do is watch tv, motorsport and news.

Last things I need are games and action movies.

Edited by overherebc