The Poor And Sometimes Forgotten Foreigners From Isaan.....

lostinisaan

Although I'm still a tad too young to weight the scales properly, meaning I'd need to rely solely on what I've read/seen/heard about, but I'm not surprised by outcomes like this.

Way too many factors are needed to be taken into account with talking men/women, yet men usually get the brunt of the responsibilities thrown onto them through media/society/word of mouth/deep rooted traditions and what have you.

I am in my late 20s now and "finally" bothered with my first girlfriend, as prior, coming from a broken home, I've been moving and getting tossed around the family court way too many times to ever have been able to experience a relationship during me teens. Once I was of age, I moved and did have a steady place for the first time, but with new people needing to get to know to, not a person of even moderate social interactions, a very heavy dislike for bars/dance clubs and the suchs as well as being a stay home person at heart, I've never made any relationship attempts then either...and eventually ended up in Thailand. Meanwhile in all this time (ages....ehhh...20ish to now) I've been picking up stories from other people, have been hearing news on TV/Internet etc, been watching alot of educational as well as "sensitive" topics on Youtube and had all this time to hear those things and give all this information my own thoughts, as I will try to convey as follows.

(I may generalize too much now, this obviously doesn't apply to each and every person but "the majority" and being aware that there are always exceptions to it. Disclaimer solely for you specific intelligent deficit person who will/would attempt to cherry pick exceptions thinking to make some exception the norm)

I'd say many of us, if not all, grew up with the conventional wisom of "Don't hit a woman", "Don't cry, boys don't do that", "Stand up and try again, don't give up", "Don't lie", "Take responsibility" and many more of such things that accompany you through your life day in and out as perpetuated through media/society forcing that image on men. However, all those things apply to women as well, they too are not to hit a man, not give up, take responsibility and so forth, but as media and feminism has it, those aren't things that are being made aware of. Our society as it stands is gynocentric to the core, yet too few (men) realise that and just keep swimming with that flow. Just because her slapping you feels like a kid trying to beat you up, doesn't change the inherent meaning of it being a violent action against you that isn't to be tolerated, yet this somehow is acceptable to (most) people and women aren't being made responsible for their actions and essentially feel like children trapped in an adult body.

So my GF so far has caused me alot of grief, facepalm and <deleted> moments, but also a decent share of good moments. Overall, considering what I know about myself, about her and keep paying attention to what is happening, I deem my relationship to be a bit (too) shaky to my taste. If what I'm having now is a "fairly normal" relationship, then I pretty much don't need it. She knows that I have no real desire to get married to her at this point (which is unrelated to my "minimum of 4 years being togehter"), but so far I'm not worried about getting the brunt of it for bad desicions or getting milked dry for whatever little I'm worth. While I, with reasonable honesty, don't think she is a scammer/milker, she is extremely materialistic, which is a problem to me and she knows about, yet hasn't attempted to hide that....which is a, eh...negatively plus? fact.

With lots of things in mind, I am still being cautious and in the end, if I finally end up thinking it's worth it or not, I can just turn around and walk away with no damage or fully commit to this marriage thing despite seeing no real benefit from it (intentionally ignoring the visa bonus here, as this is an entire different beef to me).

Long story short, you got a brain and emotions, make use of them.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lets get this straight. old farang from most countries get a pension which goes a long way in thailand. basic hotel room, food from7/11,lotus, etc, easily covered so even if the ex-wife wiped them absolutely clean, come next pension payment their basic needs are met and they can go forward. so where is the problem?

A lot of guys just barely have enough pension. Savings get depleted. IMHO they are one medical emergency away from disaster in that description. They will get old and really old. They need a plan B but they don't have it.

Not for me, thanks.

Cheers.

Please stop making comments about Thai ladies almost always ripping off old farangs.

It makes my blood boil reading sh..e like that.

There are good and bad people from all countries on this earth.

Of course there are good and bad, everywhere. And stereotyping or generalizations are usually not especially accurate.

I don't think it's a case of "ripping off" simply a different attitude and culture. Thai ladies, IME, regardless of whether previously a sex worker or not, expect their husbands to take care of them, and to do so better than a Thai would. That's why they married a foreigner - the expectation he would be more faithful, and provide more. Not just for her, but for the children and also be generous to relatives, particularly Ma and Pa.

The problems start as the years go by as the ladies expectations get higher and higher regarding the amounts that can be spent and the husbands earning or money supply capacity doesn't, maybe even decreases. Again a lot of this is connected with face. Thais can be very bitchy and very direct -" oh your husband hasn't bought you some new jewelry for a while, or taken you abroad, or a new car, the latest smart phone, the new LV handbag etc etc.

Of course many are not materialistic, but, again IME, many are. Their Thai female friends and their families will be critical unless wivey constantly keeps ahead of the Jones's so to speak.

Over the years I've had girl friends from UK, India, Pakistan, Jamaica, China and the Philippines, as well as Thailand before meeting my wife, who was a school teacher (Thai private school) when we met. Of course all the ladies were unique but I do find collectively the Thai ladies to be just that little bit more materialistic than the others.

Also, bear in mind Thais come from a debt culture, where money is spent quickly (sometimes so relatives can't "borrow" it!), and they live for today not tomorrow.

I reckon my wife is intelligent - good first degree, excellent master's, speaks three languages, taught outside Thailand etc. But try as I may, and believe me I have and still do, she cannot or is not wanting to grasp budgeting, financial management or anything except the notion that what's in the bank is there to be spent - you might get hit by a bus tomorrow so enjoy it today. When we suggest otherwise, they simply can't follow that logic.

Maybe I'm just being a bit dim, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility, but what exactly is the OP trying to get and then achieve?

There are a million well documented sob stories throughout Thailand of the young girl and the old dude. What additional facts can possibly help?

Is this some weird attempt, or troll, to get yet a few more poor sops to pour their heart out?

Don't get me wrong, I always feel sorry for anybody who gets duped, but really, this ain't anything new

I'm pinning my hopes on a Thai retirement because my ex-wife walked away with 82% of the house value, the entire contents and the car. I've dated British women and an Aussie lady, they all had one thing in common, they were after they money they thought I had, as soon as they found out that I live in a rented room and still have to beat my balls off to earn a crust in my fifties they dropped me like a hot potato.

I'll take my chances with my Isaan lady, then if it all goes tits up I'll take the option of early retirement from life, which I plan to do anyway as I have no desire to end my days having my bottom wiped for me!

lets get this straight. old farang from most countries get a pension which goes a long way in thailand. basic hotel room, food from7/11,lotus, etc, easily covered so even if the ex-wife wiped them absolutely clean, come next pension payment their basic needs are met and they can go forward. so where is the problem?

A lot of guys just barely have enough pension. Savings get depleted. IMHO they are one medical emergency away from disaster in that description. They will get old and really old. They need a plan B but they don't have it.

Not for me, thanks.

Cheers.

Hello, no idea if you know somebody who's really a wine expert.I'm trying to find somebody who'd like to buy all first class wines old and very expensive cognac, even ABSYNTHE with 89 % alcohol in a special wine cellar.

I've checked on one of these bottles and you could buy one bottle for 280,000 baht in Thailand. ( seen at the airport)

The whole cellar goes away for a little more than 300 K. Any idea where you can offer such really extreme good, but also expensive wines?

That might help the gentleman as well. Even when it hurts to sell it. There must be around 50 -60 bottles of mostly French wines and cognac in the cellar.

All the glasses ( of course different ones for each wine) come with it. Please page me if you have an idea where to sell such extraordinary stuff.

Is there a market in Thailand?

P. S. The second bottle on the photo is something special. Hand painted etiquette with real gold around the paining on the bottle.

I haven't seen something similar before. The fat boy already went away for 400 K.

post-158336-0-72211400-1455007781_thumb.

post-158336-0-74201300-1455007799_thumb.

post-158336-0-50238000-1455007826_thumb.

post-158336-0-30755600-1455007879_thumb.

Anyone who believes that any relationship that starts by paying someone to sit, have a drink, and be nice to you can possible develop into a good relationship,is nothing but a lonely fool.

If you paid for that first night, you will pay for all the nights in the future.

There are very many nice, good women in Thailand who are not involved in the social service industry.

Make the effort to find a real relationship,

or accept that you are only renting what you have.

Renting can be a good thing, just don't forget you are only a renter.

At the end of the day, "Renters" fare better than "Owners" in the long run in Thailand, especially if it comes to "matters of the heart". Confused? Read post # 5.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of this will not change the fact that in no time at all there will appear staunch advocates claiming " my Thai-wife and family are different".

Excellent! Always cause for amusement! (post # 5, maybe?).

Cheers.

From post #5. "But the percentage of rip-offs, compared to other "Retirement Countries" for Farangs is frightening to put it mildly." This may be true or may not be, it would be nice if you referred to your source.

Anyone who believes that any relationship that starts by paying someone to sit, have a drink, and be nice to you can possible develop into a good relationship,is nothing but a lonely fool.

If you paid for that first night, you will pay for all the nights in the future.

There are very many nice, good women in Thailand who are not involved in the social service industry.

Spot on , clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Not for me, thanks.

Cheers.

Hello, no idea if you know somebody who's really a wine expert.I'm trying to find somebody who'd like to buy all first class wines old and very expensive cognac, even ABSYNTHE with 89 % alcohol in a special wine cellar.

I've checked on one of these bottles and you could buy one bottle for 280,000 baht in Thailand. ( seen at the airport)

The whole cellar goes away for a little more than 300 K. Any idea where you can offer such really extreme good, but also expensive wines?

That might help the gentleman as well. Even when it hurts to sell it. There must be around 50 -60 bottles of mostly French wines and cognac in the cellar.

All the glasses ( of course different ones for each wine) come with it. Please page me if you have an idea where to sell such extraordinary stuff.

P. S. The second bottle on the photo is something special. Hand painted etiquette with real gold around the paining on the bottle.

I haven't seen something similar before. The fat boy already went away for 400 K.

Do you have an itemized log? description and estimation of each bottle wai2.gif

...Good for you....

...it's a dirty and thankless and awkward and sometimes embarrassing job....

...but Thank God someone is doing it.....

...long story short......13 years and **million baht later....I am still barely making it...in court now.....and no '50/50' in sight....

...I tried to start up 'Expats in Distress' going on 2 years now (?) through 'Indiegogo'....

...I figured...3 million baht....register a company...have a locale....and a vehicle...to provide emergency services and temporary accommodations....

...I was mocked....insulted.....ridiculed....and called ' a scammer'....

...I do not drink or smoke or take drugs or frequent bars or hookers.....

...I have 2 daughters....and am trying to hang on to them...at least joint custody...and remain their 'Daddy'....

...bravo to all you heartless egomaniacs and alcoholics...etc...who come on here to 'flaunt how much you have'.....

...'how many cars and houses...and which new ones you will buy'.......

...I used to 'have it all' too....and I used to help anyone I could...until I found myself needing help....and barely getting any..

...let's see if any of these 'big shots' step up this time around..

Not for me, thanks.

Cheers.

Do you have an itemized log? description and estimation of each bottle wai2.gif

Not yet. But I'm sure that this gentleman does. I might visit him this, or next weekend. wai2.gif

Please stop making comments about Thai ladies almost always ripping off old farangs.

Did I really write that?

Yes you did.

You wrote that almost the cases you dealt with involved Thai ladies ripping off Farangs.

"Almost all of them got ripped off by their Thai spouse and then lost all of their savings that supposed to be the money for their retirement, most of them worked really hard to make the move.

And all of these sometimes very tragic stories usually began with the sweet smile of a bar girl".

You also added that this not a country for old men.

Now, if that is not a generalisation then I don't know what is !!

Of course, we all know dozens of cases where your comments are perfectly true. However, I know of at least double that number where there have been successful long-term relationships.

The point is that LostinIssan helps with an organisation helping blokes who've fallen on seriously hard times. And in his experience those blokes have almost always been ripped off by a Thai spouse. He didn't say all had he just said 'almost all', so there are some who were not ripped off by their Thai partners. But still enough of a majority for it to be 'almost all'.

As for your comment "Of course, we all know dozens of cases where your comments are perfectly true. However, I know of at least double that number where there have been successful long-term relationships."

That has nothing to do with it. The blokes in successful long term relationships are not destitute in Isaan and requiring help from some charitable organisation are they.

I saw what the Issan family were slowly doing to me,,

''the fool and his money'', and i couldn't see the end

of it, the shopping list was way too big and adding to it

every day so one day i tell my girlfriend i have to go

to my embassy in Bangkok to fix something, so i

went and kept going all the way back to my home,

they can scam some other ''hunsum'' man, not me.

I have recovered my losses by working and saving

but would i ever do it again, sure, after i come back

from Bangkok, or tomorrow ?

What's the organisation you are helping out? And on Swiss banks going bankrupt, I think there were only very few cases of small banks that went bankrupt over the last 30 years, any savings up to CHF 100k are guaranteed by the government and any other holdings like securities, gold etc obviously would not be impacted by the bankruptcy and can be transferred to another bank without a problem.

That's sad stuff. Even if they've made their own bed, it must be pretty harsh to have to live with the consequences in what can be an unforgiving place.

Good on you for going out of your way to help others like that.

Totally agree, there's alot of bashers on here that like to jump at the chance to point the fingers at the dumb farangs that have made their "stupid mistakes" , whilst they wallow in the idea that they are smarter and wiser and of course nothing has happened to them because they are sooo smart(sorry karma works in mysterious ways, pray) , wow to be sooo smart!!

I think being smart and in fact "lucky" is one thing, but too totally lack compassion or even pity ( Smart "farangs" in "Thailand" you'd think they would've learnt that?!) shows such a lack of substance and understanding..I often wonder what they get out of knockin people down? Maybe a sense of self worth??Wishful..

I personally think that some of these farangs can be worse of than homeless people back in farangenstein, they need all the help they can get!!

Maybe some of them were just like some of the knockers here once, full of knowing and self assured ??

"Not all Thai ladies are bad" yeah we know that doh! Like it doesn't take half a fool to work out not all muslims are bad either..Situations/subject matters different...when you've poored your life into another country like Thailand and the women strips you of everything, those guys need help! And for someone to be automatically condensing all subject matter into such a small minded view ( like they are going to gain anew chat buddy out of it) is quite a narrow minded view point..Realistically you are the ones thinking like that, no one else...These people are dealing with a financial destitute problem, dumby!!

Keep up the good work Op!

I agree, many many white faced thai ladies from Bangkok, who speak brilliant english, thai and Chinese, who are university graduate and are on 100,000 baht a month.

One only has to look for a few minutes, then one is safe from the rip offs, by issan FARM GIRLS

There are also exceptions among the Isan farming girls. They're not all bad. I'm speakibg from experience - 8 years of it to be more precise. I always get angry when I read such sh*t - it's just stereotyping. It shows a real lack of objectivity and experience.

So, my Isan farm girl has finished dinner - pork chop and mashed potatoes today for a change - so I'm off!

If you read the op correctly you would understand. He is a volunteer with social support type group that helps expats in need in Isaan. The ones he sees are the desperate ones. He said these are the ones that have had gold diggers. So he is just talking of desperate Isaan farangs. Never once did he say all thai women rip off men. Tae your valium and read thoroughly first. Will save you a lot of anxiety and stress induced grey hair.

Good on you Colin. You are exactly right. I wish these people who continually whinge about being ripped off by wives or gfs would just get out of the country. It's not that I am insensitive to their plight, but jeez they havent managed their lives to well, and they are the ones that made the mistakes. Som num nah. Do they think that back in their home countries predatory women would not have recognized their carelessness, or stupidity, and would not have ripped them off by now.

They should just get on with their lives. Get up, dust yourself off and either carefully (this time) look for a more reliable partner, get a back-bone and live the life you should have in this wonderful country. OR, as Thailand is one of the best countries in the world to be a bachelor, take a deep breath and play the game you probably should have in the first place.

More advice, plan your drinking, if you do imbibe, or it wont be the gf running away with your money in the future, it will be the hospital. And for Christ's sake stay away from wining bar flies, who have nothing but gripes with Thailand, BUT BLOODY WELL WONT GO HOME.

Ooh, the bitterness is incredible. Someone just asks for your story and everyone is on their case. If you don't have a story then maybe you should be reading and not contributing. I'm sure you'll be on my case too now for not giving my story. FYI, I'd say about 75% get bitten at least once, it's just the amounts and reaction that vary.

A charity for old whoremongers, who pissed up their savings against the wall, were too stupid to see what was happening to them, too up themselves to intergrate and learn Thai and have no real friends here or in their own country prepared to bail them out probably because they were <deleted> throughout their lives.

Sorry, but I can think of so many more worthy causes in the world. So many.

This sad tale brought tears to my eyes. Because of the laughing fit I just had.

Som nam naa

What's the point in this thread? People screw up their lives all over the world .

It's the Farang bashing thread of the week...

One thing that we might learn traveling through life is that there are no guarantees. I clicked of the title speaking about poor foreigners in Isaan...I've yet to meet one but I suppose they exist.

If you think they are poor because they have small pension like 25000 - 40000 Baht, I like to point out that this would be what they would be living on in their country of origin...some really struggle and I am not sure it is only in Isaan. With that money here one should be able to live okay. Perhaps not taking care of everyone else and the buffalo too...

Getting old and sick in Thailand is not in my plans. The climate is far too hot when one is nearing the old age...well, to me at least. I prefer somewhere in Spain where I lived couple of years or Tenerife.

In Thailand there exists no nanny state to take care of you when you fall in bad times so make plans well before something needs to be done.

Seems like you all (27) haven't experienced the well known rip-off. Man it makes my blood boil.

Sounds like every relationship I've ever had with a woman (not related by blood) irrespective of her nationality or our geographic location.

Generally the Thai girls cost less, and give a better ROI.

Sounds like every relationship I've ever had with a woman (not related by blood) irrespective of her nationality or our geographic location.

My first date as a 15 year old, taking a new GF to the cinema in the UK.

I paid for myself and walked in, leaving her standing aghast at the box office. I soon realised that I was expected to pay for her.

This early lesson held me in good stead some35 years later when I ventured to Thailand.

Did I really write that?

Yes you did.

You wrote that almost the cases you dealt with involved Thai ladies ripping off Farangs.

"Almost all of them got ripped off by their Thai spouse and then lost all of their savings that supposed to be the money for their retirement, most of them worked really hard to make the move.

And all of these sometimes very tragic stories usually began with the sweet smile of a bar girl".

You also added that this not a country for old men.

Now, if that is not a generalisation then I don't know what is !!

Of course, we all know dozens of cases where your comments are perfectly true. However, I know of at least double that number where there have been successful long-term relationships.

The point is that LostinIssan helps with an organisation helping blokes who've fallen on seriously hard times. And in his experience those blokes have almost always been ripped off by a Thai spouse. He didn't say all had he just said 'almost all', so there are some who were not ripped off by their Thai partners. But still enough of a majority for it to be 'almost all'.

As for your comment "Of course, we all know dozens of cases where your comments are perfectly true. However, I know of at least double that number where there have been successful long-term relationships."

That has nothing to do with it. The blokes in successful long term relationships are not destitute in Isaan and requiring help from some charitable organisation are they.

They might have more chance of receiving support if we knew the name and/or contact details for said organisation.

It might also give some credibility to the thread.

Did I really write that? I'm married to a woman from this area and after 15 years still happily married. You call it shit, i call it the naked truth for some who'd lost all. ( And they wouldn't even tell you that.)

BTW, I wrote that almost all the men I've visited, which doesn't generalize anything that you put into my mouth.

But it's your right to come up with your opinion. I've once burnt my tongue by warning a foreigner whose wife had spent all his money, sold the land which was in her name, just to find out that I was the bad guy when they got together again. But not for long.

If you don't like to see/read the truth. please just don't read it. Thanks for your consideration.

Is it better to keep your eyes, ears and mouth shut? Some suicides and plenty of attempts were/are the reason for the wrongdoings of such a good and friendly wife.

It's usually the huge age difference, not understanding this culture and most of these gentlemen never wanted to learn Thai.

It's much easier to understand who the good and bad people in your country of origin are, but here a little bit different.

Please google the foreign death rate in some Isaan provinces/all over Thailand. Not all jump from a balcony. G'Day, sir. -wai2.gif

P.S. Just found this: http://www.farang-deaths.com/

I will not deny that my own observations of sad events do support your comment with one major exception. From personal observation the scamming of farang or the eventual demise of relationships is not at all exclusive to the elderly farang. Nor does age difference predispose anything "generally".

As has been said in previous responses it is the lack of wit that prevails in most cases. Those that have limited income or limited reserve income and opt to allow it to be extracted beyond sustainable levels are mostly their own victims. And putting it in realistic perspective it must be acknowledged that current numbers of relationship failures in Western society resulting in financial stress are very similar. Generalising is only seemingly valid until compared with the unkown unproblematical .

As to the foreign death rate? Those that again opt to leave behind a secure social support system in country of origin to embark on what they may view as some illustrious tropical lifestyle and burn bridges in the process obviously would suffer from reckless or depressive issues in failed pursuit of that lifestyle. If there is some insinuation that farang deaths are at all significantly due to suspicious cause or "wrongdoings of such a good and friendly wife" I believe it come back to the normal human failure of wit !

not to diminish the sad scene you describe, but people become old and infirm, broke and unwanted all over the world - dementia rates are epidemic and the funds to take care of these people are lacking everywhere.

Not saying your "clients" are suffering dementia - just that there are troubles all over. Every case must be looked at individually. Maybe some of these old fellows had 5-10-15 years of companionship with a Thai lady before they had problems. They must have all made decisions at some point to move here. If they made decisions at some point to buy land in another's name, that is a decision they must live with. And scams on elderly are rampant. They are targets everywhere.

Good luck in helping them - some may and some may not deserve it. Sifting through is not easy....

Good observation kenk, i've had a good 12 yr spell here with a really good woman, but,

as with my ex wife in the uk, the relationship has grown tired.for us both.

My fault? maybe , but a good dozen years i'll not regret.

Pity that I'm too long in the tooth to start over with another.

Que serra serra.

It is an unfortunate trait among Westerners out here, to enjoy seeing others fail, whether it be in business, a relationship, or whatever.

I guess it reinforces their belief that everything they are doing is perfect, as they are still going strong, or stronger than a man that failed.

I don't like to see others fail.

But it's all so predictable, and they all claim their girls are different, despite them being exactly the same.

They all claim their business will make loads of money, despite the many more experienced in business who have failed.

They all claim their property investment will make them a load of money, but they usually lose the lot.

It's just sad.

And again, I don't like to see it.

I'm unsure what the OP is looking for. Donations to a charity for distressed falangs in Issan? Forget it, charity begins at home. And "administrative costs" can absorb up to 90% of donations.

If the distressed falangs are not au fait with PC's, internet shops here are very inexpensive, 10 - 30 baht per hour. However, does a falang need a work permit to teach other falangs how to use the internet?

I'm following a couple of financial principles in Thailand. The first is only having assets here I can afford to lose. The second is keeping 90% of my assets back in Australia.

I have sympathy for guys who have lost everything, for whatever reason. We all make mistakes, and I've made my share too. However, blaming Thai women for your own

decisions is a cop-out.

There's no fool like an old fool.If your 60 and she's 20 your really Nieve if you think she' with you for your looks,body,or personality.So if your that gullable then if she takes everything you have well can we really blame her.Of course she's no angel.

Maybe all farangs,or foreigners should take of some kind of class to beware of ladies trying to get their money.

Archived