The Poor And Sometimes Forgotten Foreigners From Isaan.....

lostinisaan

Land between surin and Sri Saket. A fairly dangerous part of the world for the naive farang.

I had, from what I have seen always thought girls from buriram were the best at ruthlessly doing over the farang buffalo. I was recently chatting to a girl who works in pattaya's biggest law firm and has so for fifteen years.

The subject came up so I told her my theory and she said no, girls from Udon Thani are the masters. So asked her who comes in second and she laughed and said Buriram for sure. Followed by ubon ratchatani.

This land is bang in the middle of second and third spot. The Chanote, if there even is one, will likely have "Chinese money lender" leans on it. Buyer beware.

I used to live where (I suspect) Listinisaan is talking about. I used to call the certain town what's initials are U & P 'The village of the Damned' !

Glad I moved away after I checked in but managed to leave (Hotel California).

Nope, not the village of the damned/ enough working there, you're damn right about that place...it's about 45 km towards Surin on the main road.

Got the feeling that I checked into Hotel California, trying to find my way out. Their minds are Tiffany twisted....be happy that you've made it.

I gotta get out of this place and if that's the last thing i ever do. UP is cursed.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kee nok....is the specific term...a farang who has been burnt out and has no assets....kee for shit and nok for bird.

Put the 2 together and we have bird shit....basically nobody wants it.....and a big part of the problem is that many of these people never learnt the language, have no understanding or care for the culture, alcohol may well play a big part too.

Plenty of down and out from where they come from as well..

You are partly right. It refers to individuals with small assets. Being "burnt out or fleeced" is not part of the normal definition. It is most commonly used in regard to young vacationers.

Please stop making comments about Thai ladies almost always ripping off old farangs.

It makes my blood boil reading sh..e like that.

There are good and bad people from all countries on this earth.

Did I really write that? I'm married to a woman from this area and after 15 years still happily married. You call it shit, i call it the naked truth for some who'd lost all. ( And they wouldn't even tell you that.)

BTW, I wrote that almost all the men I've visited, which doesn't generalize anything that you put into my mouth.

But it's your right to come up with your opinion. I've once burnt my tongue by warning a foreigner whose wife had spent all his money, sold the land which was in her name, just to find out that I was the bad guy when they got together again. But not for long.

If you don't like to see/read the truth. please just don't read it. Thanks for your consideration.

Is it better to keep your eyes, ears and mouth shut? Some suicides and plenty of attempts were/are the reason for the wrongdoings of such a good and friendly wife.

It's usually the huge age difference, not understanding this culture and most of these gentlemen never wanted to learn Thai.

It's much easier to understand who the good and bad people in your country of origin are, but here a little bit different.

Please google the foreign death rate in some Isaan provinces/all over Thailand. Not all jump from a balcony. G'Day, sir. -wai2.gif

P.S. Just found this: http://www.farang-deaths.com/

what's up with the funny indentation in your posts?

lets get this straight. old farang from most countries get a pension which goes a long way in thailand. basic hotel room, food from7/11,lotus, etc, easily covered so even if the ex-wife wiped them absolutely clean, come next pension payment their basic needs are met and they can go forward. so where is the problem?

from what ive seen the problem is theyre unable to wash,cook or clean for themselves so they go straight out and find another parasite.....usually with the same MO as the last one.

Good point, luckily my mom teached me how to cook and clean , I can take care of myself , and even take care of the gf at the same time. I prefer to clean the house myself. Plenty of old fashioned, lazy farangs here that are completely lost without their Thai gf/wife. They are the ones that ends up in trouble.

I'm unsure what the OP is looking for. Donations to a charity for distressed falangs in Issan? Forget it, charity begins at home. And "administrative costs" can absorb up to 90% of donations.

If the distressed falangs are not au fait with PC's, internet shops here are very inexpensive, 10 - 30 baht per hour. However, does a falang need a work permit to teach other falangs how to use the internet?

I'm following a couple of financial principles in Thailand. The first is only having assets here I can afford to lose. The second is keeping 90% of my assets back in Australia.

I have sympathy for guys who have lost everything, for whatever reason. We all make mistakes, and I've made my share too. However, blaming Thai women for your own

decisions is a cop-out.

I'm neither looking for "donations, " nor for any sympathy here. I was informed by another "networker' who's a doctor in CM that the guy needed immediately help.

The organisation isn't even involved right now. So please, stop your "looking for donations" bs, please.

Is a guy after a serious stroke a "distressed farang"? He can't even drive his car anymore and we hope that this will be possible again in the near future.

There was a thread a few days ago looking for the right hospital for the gentleman and it was great to hear that there's one not far away from him.

So he made his way to the hospital and received the needed help and medical checks after a serious stroke. The "medical problem" was solved, but when I visited him, I began to understand what happened to the guy.

The guy is mentally destroyed and being alone with two dogs he call his kids doesn't make his life better.

He didn't receive any financial help from this organisation and the guy wants to give his wife a second chance. All that's left is a huge piece of land, about 20 Rai.

If anybody's interested in buying land, near the main road, the 226, about 30 km away from Surin to Sisaket, please page me for more details.

His wife seems/seemed to be involved in very serious criminal activities and the guy was always trying to help her out. The wife is doing some time right now and will be back in about four months.

The problem is that the land is in her name and it's pretty easy to understand that she won't change once she's back.

He cannot really move his right hand after this stroke and he needs somebody to talk to from time to time. That was the reason why I spent a day with him.

Sad is that he got ripped off in so many ways. Wife gambled away a lot of money, then he lost the whole land to a money shark, they call him the Chinese man, and the gentleman had to buy it back.

Maybe it was a set up, but that's the situation he's in right now. He built a shop for her because she wanted to do some business on her own, but it turned out that it was only the meeting point for all the criminals of the area.

Instead of "making" a few baht per month, he had to throw around 20 K in per month in to keep it running.

We're trying to change his mind that he moves to another place, away from all the gamblers, gangsters and god only knows what individuals.

But first his medical follow up after the stroke has to be done and then he might be willing to move to CM.

If I were him, there wouldn't be a second chance for the wife, she already showed that she's an evil woman. And doing some time doesn't usually make people to better people.

The chances that she will change into a loving wife after doing some time are basically nil. Non existent.

He just sold what he loved a lot, his Harley and has to rely on finding somebody who doesn't rip him off when he's selling his land.

I never wrote that Thai women in general would be rip offs, but once in the gambling scene (maybe also in some drug related stuff), it's really difficult to find out what's true and what's a lie.

It seems that there're people out there who really jerk off when reading about older people who are in such an unpleasant situation.

This guy isn't stupid, he had his own company and made a lot of money. But he never thought that the woman he loved so much would do so many bad things to him that he lost control over his financial belongings.

BTW, I'm also married to an Isaan woman since 15 years and we still love and respect each other. She doesn't drink, smoke, or gamble.

My wife was with me 24/7 after a serious motorcycle accident and i know where I am.

After many years living here, when almost all relatives and friends back home passed away, where would you go to?

No donations wanted. Thanks. wai2.gif

Sorry, I still don't see what the point of your opening post is ?

I can give you some reading glasses for free, but only if you stop posting your always critical comments.

You're really a lonely warrior, dude. I'm afraid there's no medication that can help you.

I can read just fine, (even your poor English), but as I said, I still don't see the point of your post. Maybe if you had mentioned the name or location of this "charity" that you help out at it would have made your post make more sense?

Not being critical - just wondering about your reasoning for posting.

not quite sure what you hope to achieve by brininging this up yet again.

we know.

its the most common discussion on the board.

what more s there to say.

pick your mate wisely, not because you are afraid to live alone.

Looked at farangdeaths .com never saw Canada. Has been a few in Chiang Mai I know of wonder why the site missed Canada.I donot know.

It's easy to overlook Canada. Grey, humourless cheese-eaters. Dull, dull, country.

You're kidding? Canada is one of the most beautiful countries in the world and has some of the nicest people ever. Yes it has a harsher winter but many escape to Southern USA or elsewhere for a while but I sure don't see it as you describe it. BTW I'm American.

I can think of two Canadian "suicides" reported in Thailand but I don't remember the particulars.

Cheers.

There are good Thai girls and bad Thai girls.

The good Thai girls are bad at sex,

The bad Thai girls are good at sex.

Give me a bad one every time.

Note:

Just because you're having sex with a woman doesn't mean you have to give her open access to all your savings and assets.

Unless of course, you're a complete fool. This isn't the west, a Thai court won't award them your assets, no matter what you do.

Don't buy anything here, unless your name is on the ownership papers. How hard can that be?

Sorry, that I didn't answer some messages where people were asking what organisation I'm volunteering for. It wasn't about them at all.

The institution is for Germans who're in an emergency situation..The reason why I didn't post their name is easy, as they're not even yet involved.in helping the guy. And it wasn't my intention to make any advertisement for them.

When reading some posts where people thought I was looking for some donations, it really made my blood boiling. ( Using the other guy on the forum's words)

I always receive an e-mail how many people needed/received help and what exactly happened to them, before they needed help and afterwards, which was the reason for my post.

Quite a few posters wrote in a private message that they've/had experienced very similar circumstances, but didn't want to post them here.

I'll try to make sure that his health issues are under control until his wife comes back when he's hopefully moving to another province.

I'm pretty sure that all and everything would be completely different if the gentleman wouldn't have made the mistake to move to the village where his wife comes from.

A house for mom in law (even when she had an okay one), then some money for some friends here, some "loans" for neighbors that never got paid back, the local gangsters are of course attracted by a whitish guy with a lot of cash.

A business in form of a "shop for the wife" who thought she needed to do her own business. which turned into the meeting point for all sorts of guys with brilliant ideas and lies how to get a piece of the farang cake.

Of course did she not make any money with her shop and the foreigner had to pay around 20 K per month to keep the shop open.

I also believe that this was so dumb to pump in money into a dead business and that he made himself to a fool by doing so.

And re-buying the land does sound very stupid/ naive to me. And 8 million baht in cash from an account where she had access to disappeared in only ten months at the same time?

And now relying on the money he could/would/will/ should get for the huge land is just another brick in the wall.

It might be another example when planning to settle down here, to move far far away from mom and dad in law's place and all her friends who try to get as much as they can.

We're all different, but many of us had to pay some good money to be where we are now. And to know what we know now.

There's no doubt what I'd do if my wife would gamble my money away, sleep with others to make money, or deal Jaba, or, or, o...r.

I would immediately leave without looking back. Bye bye. Great weekend.

P.S. BTW, have you ever thought about why your wife needs two Sim cards? blink.png

There are good Thai girls and bad Thai girls.

The good Thai girls are bad at sex,

The bad Thai girls are good at sex.

Give me a bad one every time.

Note:

Just because you're having sex with a woman doesn't mean you have to give her open access to all your savings and assets.

Unless of course, you're a complete fool. This isn't the west, a Thai court won't award them your assets, no matter what you do.

Don't buy anything here, unless your name is on the ownership papers. How hard can that be?

The good Thai girls go to Pattaya and the bad Thai girls marry a farang from Pattaya. - thumbsup.gif

interest thread will some silly and some good posts. I have never understood how men come to Thailand with some capital and a small pension, then spend the capital on a house in his thai wife/gf name. it is like a time bomb waiting to go off. I can understand it if the man can afford to loose the money. i came here with the view that I want to be able to walk away if I want to and I am still prepared to do that if I have to

Hope some newbies read this before thinking about moving out here into 'the sticks'. There are some valid points in this thread (plus the usual time-wasters with a meat-pie for brains).

Good job, LostinIsaan.

I have to agree. Advice like "don't trust her or her family", "lock away the car documents", "don't give her money because she will gamble it away", "theft and lies is a way of life here" really is a waste of time and doesn't bode well for a long happy life in Thailand.

Better advice would be to get to know someone first. It doesn't matter where he/she is from or what they do. If they are bad then that is that, simple. Wait wait wait and just find out for your self. Go and meet the family. Have a look around. Learn some of the language and have a chat. I remember one post on here a while back that said something like " I built a big tall wall around the house and put a lock on the gate. That keeps the family out". What a laugh that is. Straight away you are kind of asking your lady/man to choose between them and you. If you get to know them first you will know by yourself.

Just because a westerner is likely to have more money that the Thai family it doesn't mean that they are better. Many failed relationships that I have seen here have started by the expat turning up like some flash dude thinking he knows everything and flashing his money around. That's a good start!!!!! I remember a guy posting on a forum somewhere boasting about going to soapy massages and girly bars. He wondered why his wife turned against him.

I try to avoid thinking about the different nationalities and cultures. I feel comfortable where I am and who I am with. If I didn't then I wouldn't have married and stayed here. I lived in rented accommodation with my now wife until I knew she was the one. After 16 years together nothing has been stolen, anything I lend is returned and my wife and I have full respect for each other.

I will take great pleasure in coming back on here and reporting again in another 16 years of happy life.

Hope some newbies read this before thinking about moving out here into 'the sticks'. There are some valid points in this thread (plus the usual time-wasters with a meat-pie for brains).

Good job, LostinIsaan.

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.

The sad part of the thread is that a lot of foreigners fight with similar problems and will of course not write about their loss.

Anybody who wants to settle down in Thailand, not just in Isaan, should at least read the book Private dancer when having a relationship with a bar girl. And there're so many freelancers who belong to the same category.

Honestly speaking, if I were so piss poor and female, I'd maybe do the same.

Each and every word is true about the people in this book and it might help foreigners to understand how a lot of bar girls think and act.

Here's a link where you can read it online.: http://www.pattayanewbie.com/files/private-dancer.pdf

Life's too short to waste it with people who only want our best. Our money. wai2.gif

Anyone who believes that any relationship that starts by paying someone to sit, have a drink, and be nice to you can possible develop into a good relationship,is nothing but a lonely fool.

If you paid for that first night, you will pay for all the nights in the future.

There are very many nice, good women in Thailand who are not involved in the social service industry.

Make the effort to find a real relationship,

or accept that you are only renting what you have.

Renting can be a good thing, just don't forget you are only a renter.

" social service industry" I like this phrase. Very politically correct :)

Good job, LostinIsaan.

I have to agree. Advice like "don't trust her or her family", "lock away the car documents", "don't give her money because she will gamble it away", "theft and lies is a way of life here" really is a waste of time and doesn't bode well for a long happy life in Thailand.

Better advice would be to get to know someone first. It doesn't matter where he/she is from or what they do. If they are bad then that is that, simple. Wait wait wait and just find out for your self. Go and meet the family. Have a look around. Learn some of the language and have a chat. I remember one post on here a while back that said something like " I built a big tall wall around the house and put a lock on the gate. That keeps the family out". What a laugh that is. Straight away you are kind of asking your lady/man to choose between them and you. If you get to know them first you will know by yourself.

Just because a westerner is likely to have more money that the Thai family it doesn't mean that they are better. Many failed relationships that I have seen here have started by the expat turning up like some flash dude thinking he knows everything and flashing his money around. That's a good start!!!!! I remember a guy posting on a forum somewhere boasting about going to soapy massages and girly bars. He wondered why his wife turned against him.

I try to avoid thinking about the different nationalities and cultures. I feel comfortable where I am and who I am with. If I didn't then I wouldn't have married and stayed here. I lived in rented accommodation with my now wife until I knew she was the one. After 16 years together nothing has been stolen, anything I lend is returned and my wife and I have full respect for each other.

I will take great pleasure in coming back on here and reporting again in another 16 years of happy life.

I take you by the word and we'll get back on this forum in 16 years. But wait, it might have died while we enjoy the nice breeze in Isaan....coffee1.gif

Please stop making comments about Thai ladies almost always ripping off old farangs.

I don't think the OP is an indictment of Thai women as much as a cautionary tale about the Thai legal system that none of us understood when we got off the airplane, and I dare say- very few of us understand today. I certainly don't after 5 years. Never will.

People are people. Some of them are schemers. That's everywhere. Back home, the legal system usually protects us from getting fleeced. Here, chances are, it won't.

Best that people understand that before they bet their life savings on any endeavor- love, business, real estate, whatever.

I would always try and help someone in a bad way, doesn't have to be financial help a little moral support goes a long way.

We are all human, no matter what circumstances we find ourselves in.

Fortunately there are people like the op still about, and I hope he carries on fair play.

I don't think the OP is an indictment of Thai women as much as a cautionary tale about the Thai legal system that none of us understood when we got off the airplane, and I dare say- very few of us understand today. I certainly don't after 5 years. Never will.

People are people. Some of them are schemers. That's everywhere. Back home, the legal system usually protects us from getting fleeced. Here, chances are, it won't.

Best that people understand that before they bet their life savings on any endeavor- love, business, real estate, whatever.

Good job, LostinIsaan.

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.

The sad part of the thread is that a lot of foreigners fight with similar problems and will of course not write about their loss.

Anybody who wants to settle down in Thailand, not just in Isaan, should at least read the book Private dancer when having a relationship with a bar girl. And there're so many freelancers who belong to the same category.

Honestly speaking, if I were so piss poor and female, I'd maybe do the same.

Each and every word is true about the people in this book and it might help foreigners to understand how a lot of bar girls think and act.

Here's a link where you can read it online.: http://www.pattayanewbie.com/files/private-dancer.pdf

Life's too short to waste it with people who only want our best. Our money. wai2.gif

Thanks for the link, but be aware that this is a work of fiction, and clumps together all the worst case scenarios into the 2 main characters. It can be used as a cautionary tale, but it is in no way indicative of all bargirls.

'Thailand Fever' is a good read too for a newbie. Each page is written in bothThai & English so all can understand the info.

Really a good one and you might want to go for a swim and read it?

Can I borrow your water-wings, Herr Das-boot?

Nope, need them for the next flood..... bah.gif

Many times I have tried to advise falangs in Thailand about the pit falls here

in relationships and business. Guess what I always get the same answer.

" You don't understand this is different"

I just sit back & watch the carnage.

There are also many happy relationships in Thailand mine being one of them.

Yeah right, only yours is different clap2.gif

What's the point in this thread? People screw up their lives all over the world .

It's the Farang bashing thread of the week...

One thing that we might learn traveling through life is that there are no guarantees. I clicked of the title speaking about poor foreigners in Isaan...I've yet to meet one but I suppose they exist.

If you think they are poor because they have small pension like 25000 - 40000 Baht, I like to point out that this would be what they would be living on in their country of origin...some really struggle and I am not sure it is only in Isaan. With that money here one should be able to live okay. Perhaps not taking care of everyone else and the buffalo too...

Getting old and sick in Thailand is not in my plans. The climate is far too hot when one is nearing the old age...well, to me at least. I prefer somewhere in Spain where I lived couple of years or Tenerife.

In Thailand there exists no nanny state to take care of you when you fall in bad times so make plans well before something needs to be done.

They just feel better because they have more to spend and can look down on somebody. It is the human nature. Some of us don't care if someone else has more or less money than oneself.

My grandfather worked as a foreman in a factory and got 80,000 THB retirement after 45 years of working there. These days are gone. If I just look in the future of some European countries, retirement money will be really low if you are not on gov pension. 40,000 - 60,000 THB will be majority. Another example: If you worked 45 years in a German gov office, you get your 100,000 THB pension.

Why is that so low? If you look at the wages, compare US vs. EU, it is just sad. In the US, a PhD earns $5,000 per month after tax, in EU, e.g. Germany, he earns $3000. And after 45 years working he will get probably 60% of it + the money he saved or put in retirement funds.

At the end, valar morghulis.

There's no fool like an old fool.If your 60 and she's 20 your really Nieve if you think she' with you for your looks,body,or personality.So if your that gullable then if she takes everything you have well can we really blame her.Of course she's no angel.

Maybe all farangs,or foreigners should take of some kind of class to beware of ladies trying to get their money.

If I am 60 and she will be 20, I damn hope she wants a lot of money from me. Otherwise I would feel offended. thumbsup.gif

Archived