BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoiBiker

Farang men who have a problem with farang women in Thailand.

Recently, my wife and I happened to be passing through a provincial Thai city. The kind of place that doesn't see a lot of tourists, but has a few expats around. The place we stayed in had a bar/restaurant attached where we spent the evening. The rest of the clientele consisted mainly of older farang males with younger Thai wives - my wife was the only farang woman in the place all night. Fair enough, there's nothing wrong with that, and we happily settled in to eat a nice meal and enjoy a few beers. Forever, several of the farang men spent the evening glaring angrily in my wife's direction like she was something I'd scraped off the sole of my shoe - to the point where she ended up feeling rather uncomfortable and we decided to leave.

So what's that all about? Why would farang expat men be so upset by the presence of a farang woman? Were we encroaching on 'their' territory somehow? Should we not be allowed to enjoy a nice meal and a few beers without bothering anybody? It was an odd experience, and I'd be grateful for any insight anyone might be able to offer.

Which city ?

Does it matter? I'd prefer not to make this about pointing the blame at one particular expat community.

It's matters enough for you to post your story on here.

Why not go the whole hog and divulge all the information,I actually think the location of said city could be an influence on the behaviour of said Farang.

This sounds so odd that I doubt that it actually happened.

Why would it?

This sounds so odd that I doubt that it actually happened.

Why would it?

That's very much the question I'm asking. Why would it happen?

Sand to the beach sydrome?... You escaped with what counts and they didnt....jealously perhaps?....Resentment.....Guilt....or maybe it was in your mind?.....bottom line dog, we all know your situation so who cares? this is los.......so nothing matters unless you make it matter.....btw...I would be happy to have you and the missus at my table....

In your mind or your Wife's Mind ???? stigma creating further stigma ?

Sometimes eyes wonder, we all look around at others etc...

Could it be that the Older Western chappy's with their younger Thai Ladies felt they were being judged by your Western Wife ?

I find it difficult to comprehend anyone felling uncomfortable with anyone else, whoever they are, unless they are outwardly being inappropriate, behaving poorly etc..

We were just quietly sitting in the corner minding our own business. No inappropriate behaviour or judging involved.

Why didnt you say something to the nasty men ?I mean it is not like you are shy at giving your opinion on here!

It's hardly something worth making a scene about, plus I wouldn't want to embarrass the people they're with.