Farang men who have a problem with farang women in Thailand.

SoiBiker

Recently, my wife and I happened to be passing through a provincial Thai city. The kind of place that doesn't see a lot of tourists, but has a few expats around. The place we stayed in had a bar/restaurant attached where we spent the evening. The rest of the clientele consisted mainly of older farang males with younger Thai wives - my wife was the only farang woman in the place all night. Fair enough, there's nothing wrong with that, and we happily settled in to eat a nice meal and enjoy a few beers. Forever, several of the farang men spent the evening glaring angrily in my wife's direction like she was something I'd scraped off the sole of my shoe - to the point where she ended up feeling rather uncomfortable and we decided to leave.

So what's that all about? Why would farang expat men be so upset by the presence of a farang woman? Were we encroaching on 'their' territory somehow? Should we not be allowed to enjoy a nice meal and a few beers without bothering anybody? It was an odd experience, and I'd be grateful for any insight anyone might be able to offer.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sand to the beach sydrome?... You escaped with what counts and they didnt....jealously perhaps?....Resentment.....Guilt....or maybe it was in your mind?.....bottom line dog, we all know your situation so who cares? this is los.......so nothing matters unless you make it matter.....btw...I would be happy to have you and the missus at my table....

In your mind or your Wife's Mind ???? stigma creating further stigma ?

Sometimes eyes wonder, we all look around at others etc...

Could it be that the Older Western chappy's with their younger Thai Ladies felt they were being judged by your Western Wife ?

I find it difficult to comprehend anyone felling uncomfortable with anyone else, whoever they are, unless they are outwardly being inappropriate, behaving poorly etc..

I personally am a bit annoyed by non thai, non-working women coming to places where hos congregate, just to get a frisson of pleasure at their own naughtiness. They are not there for barfining per se...just for the thrill of seeing prostitutes and thinking theyre being quite edgy.

But ive learnt to live with it.

I personally am a bit annoyed by non thai, non-working women coming to places where hos congregate, just to get a frisson of pleasure at their own naughtiness. They are not there for barfining per se...just for the thrill of seeing prostitutes and thinking theyre being quite edgy.

This wasn't a place featuring prostitutes.

Begs the question why you started a topic about it then.

Because I was curious to see if anyone could offer any insight into this behaviour.

I'm surprised that would need explaining, but then this place is full of surprises.

You have just discovered that the bunch of losers in the restaurant are remarkably similar to the bunch of losers making comments about your post. Welcome to TVF.

Begs the question why you started a topic about it then.

Because I was curious to see if anyone could offer any insight into this behaviour.

I'm surprised that would need explaining, but then this place is full of surprises.

You have just discovered that the bunch of losers in the restaurant are remarkably similar to the bunch of losers making comments about your post. Welcome to TVF.

Hiya mate how are ye?

First time i ever came across a European 'brothel' was in Hamburg in the early 80' a plushly decorated v v comfortable bar and was virtually empty so me and the ex quite innocently, thb we didn't know what it was, went in and sat and had a beer,, to say there was v soon a hostile atmosphere aimed towards us would be mild we soon left. It was explained to us later, at that time, men with women didn't go into those bars, as it was seen by both men and women as we were a threat to their 'business'. Not saying soi bikers situ is the same but it did make me think of that time, so take of it as you wish.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In my country women have a very severe judgment against men who have left their country to continue primarily to patronize young women freed from feminist excesses.

Especially when they have more 40 years and their dominance in the couple had lead in the wing.

It is likely that these people who have made a wry face your wife were having some sort of defensive resentment toward a person who could have a negative judgment on what they have become.

I also think that this a priori distrust disappears after a few minutes of friendly conversation.

i think you should tell us where it happened...

I have received some dirty looks from Farang women a few times when I am with my young lovely girlfriend. I don't really care nor does my gf but we have laughed about it a few time knowing that the women in question were aware that we were aware and having a laugh. So perhaps your wife gave a judgmental look which caused their reaction.

i think you should tell us where it happened...

I have no desire to name and shame a particular business.

Archived