Why do government offices require a Tabian Baan?

matta330

Everything 'official' I have ever done in the UK required at least 1 proof of ID plus 1 proof of address.

In Thailand proof of ID = ID card, proof of address = Tabian Baan

It's not rocket science is it?

How do you open a bank account in the US?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

The thing is the Thai ID card has the holder's address printed on it. And you can't get the address put on the ID card without being in the relevant house book.

So having to provide a copy of your house book at the same time as your ID card is illogical.

Everything 'official' I have ever done in the UK required at least 1 proof of ID plus 1 proof of address.

Just need a drivers license or state ID in the US. The address is on there.

Registering a child for public (government) school some places requires that you also produce a utility bill with an address in the district, but for almost everything else just the DL is enough. There is no equivalent to the house book.

I lived in Norway a couple years and there was a separate house registration also, which I assume is equivalent to the UK and Thailand.

It's a heck of a lot easier to have a Tabian Baan then to go to Immigration to get a 'residency certificate' (at least here in CM).

Checked with the Thai DoL regarding my upcoming Driver License renewal. Went to check specifically if they would accept my Tabian Baan or if I needed a 'residency certificate'. They indicated the Tabian Baan is the document they want. Easy!

A utility bill wil do in the US, possibly just appearing at the bank in person. I can't remember for sure it's been a long time since I lived there. But I recently opened a bank account in the US on line, just sending them a scan of a utility bill sent to my address in Thailand. Basically they just want to know your a real person. Addresses aren't a big deal at all in the US.

It's a heck of a lot easier to have a Tabian Baan then to go to Immigration to get a 'residency certificate' (at least here in CM).

Checked with the Thai DoL regarding my upcoming Driver License renewal. Went to check specifically if they would accept my Tabian Baan or if I needed a 'residency certificate'. They indicated the Tabian Baan is the document they want. Easy!

I always understood that the Tabian Baan only proves residency for Thais - farang names are never put in it unless they become citizens or maybe permanent residents. Have you checked that your name is in yours? Remember that proof of ownership of a residence is not the same as being resident there.

Edited by Card

A utility bill wil do in the US, possibly just appearing at the bank in person. I can't remember for sure it's been a long time since I lived there. But I recently opened a bank account in the US on line, just sending them a scan of a utility bill sent to my address in Thailand. Basically they just want to know your a real person. Addresses aren't a big deal at all in the US.

But come to think of it I've not had to provide a proof of address for any of my Thai bank accounts, so maybe banks aren't a good example.

Thai ID card does not necessary contain the latest address from the thabian ban.

My wife simply did not care to get a new one after re-registering from the neighboring house (old parents house) to where we actually live. So on ID card still 8 M 1, thabian ban 340 M 1. In the new thabian she is the "house master".

On the old house her sister is the "house master".

As you can see they put her on the other thabian ban and not forcing her to get a new ID card.

The banks do not care for the thabian ban, ID card is enough.

Lots of mail for the old address wink.png as she also did not care to communicate the new address to banks, insurances etc.

In the end: every Thai person has a unique citizen ID for lifetime and is in an electronic database (citizen register).

This citizen ID is on the ID card and in the thabian.

So it would always be possible to look up where one is registered.

So I can not provide the ultimate answer why someone needs the thabian in addition.

Maybe proof of master status in the house book?

And where they actually reside is yet another question.

The majority of workers (from Isan or elsewhere) working all year long in Bangkok or other major spots does not register an address there.

Edited by KhunBENQ

The news Thai ID card with chips issued more than 10years ago was suppose to eliminate all those photocopies of ID cards and Tambian Ban....

But government offices, banks and insurance still need the photocopies as the law requiring then has not been changed,,,Typical...

THere was a posting about that in the past.....the old administrative law has not been changed......

I always understood that the Tabian Baan only proves residency for Thais - farang names are never put in it unless they become citizens or maybe permanent residents. Have you checked that your name is in yours? Remember that proof of ownership of a residence is not the same as being resident there.

You are correct. In addition to what you said, foreigners can get a yellow tabien baan where your name is entered.

And where they actually reside is yet another question.

The majority of workers (from Isan or elsewhere) working all year long in Bangkok or other major spots does not register an address there.

Well, if they were easily able to register to vote in Bangkok then all of Bangkok would be red as well. Best keep them in the red provinces eh?!?