Nong Bua Lumphu Fishery

PaiDokPla

Hi Guys, have been reading the fishing threads for a while, thank you for all the tips and advice on tactics/venues/rigs. Wanted to share the details of a relatively new fishery located in the Khon Kaen/Udon/Chumphae vicinity which I found and have fished over the last couple of weeks at Nong Bua Lumphu. The fishery itself is on the 228 about 7km south of the town.

Owned by a British guy called Ian, there are two lakes approximately 100m x 50m, one for match fishing and the other for larger/more exotic specimens. The whole facility is a breath of fresh air compared to the more "rustic" Thai run fisheries and parks. Plenty of space, clean and well maintained. There is a decent facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/NongBhuaLamphufishingpark) with an overhead heli cam video that shows off the venue nicely.

Fishing in the catch and release lake over two days I had a nice haul of Siamese Carp to 12kg and Amazon redtails to 3-4kg using hair rigged fish balls (luk chin pla) either on the bottom with a method feeder loaded with lam, or under a large float at about 1.5m deep. The fishery has been open less than a year so the there are no monsters, but the fish are in super condition and put up a great fight (I was using 12ft, 2.5lb tc rods with 15lb line). The lake also has Pacu, various catfish and smaller carp species.

On the match lake there is a good head of tilapia, smaller carp and catfish that were happy to take float fished bread flake. Fish from the match lake can be taken home at a cost of THB 70 per kilo.

Cost for two rods was THB 200 for the day which I thought was excellent value given the overall standard of the fishery. There is a great clubhouse/restaurant on site, excellent food and drinks served to your swim and good quality tackle can also be hired. The owner, Ian, is always around and happy to give advice and tips.

Hope some of you enjoy it as much as I did.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived