How can the AOT ease immigration queues at Don Mueang?

webfact

How can the AOT ease immigration queues at Don Mueang?
STAFF WRITER

don-mueang-airport-immigration-queues.jp

BANGKOK: -- Being stuck in a queue at Don Mueang airport’s immigration is one of life’s certainties – particularly if you land in those pesky peak traffic hours.

And that’s even before you’ve reached the taxi queues.

Space constraints are the main factors exacerbating the overcrowding, says the airport’s general manager, Phet Chan-charoen, together with confusion over which counters to queue behind.

Don Mueang will be requesting Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) to approve their plan to increase the space available at immigration, reports the Bangkok Post.

Walls will be torn down with the potential of extra counters installed in their place, per the proposed plan.

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/how-can-the-aot-ease-immigration-queues-at-don-mueang/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-02-09

In the very recent past there has been a lot of redesign activity and renovating to get Don Muang into full operation across it's two terminals.

One would hope the redesign has some basis in data and properly constructed projections.

So how come suddenly the immigration desks need to be increased and walls need to be torn down?

Again it seems incapable people in charge.

Or, simplify the in and out passport inspections procedures by halving the time a person stand

and wait for his passport to be scrutinized and stamped, go to other countries and learn

how they do it and introduce new measures and automated machines and faster computers,

but of course, they want to knock down walls and introduce more of the flowed system,

This is a country where bureaucracy is reigning supreme, god forbid they will

retire the old pen and half a dozen rubber stamps they're using now....

In the very recent past there has been a lot of redesign activity and renovating to get Don Muang into full operation across it's two terminals.

One would hope the redesign has some basis in data and properly constructed projections.

So how come suddenly the immigration desks need to be increased and walls need to be torn down?

Again it seems incapable people in charge.

...to assure perpetual work....and disbursement of cash....

...it's not easy finding ways to 'get rid of' all this cash they have in their hands....

...and they want 1200 baht a head more.....

..meanwhile...wait in line......

One of the main reasons is the slow computer, I heard the computers are linked with databased with the US to cross check for criminals. Another reason for it being slow is that officers looks for date of entry in passports to make sure it matches with the system. But in recent years I've seen improvements in the wait time, back over 5 years ago 1 hour wait was common, nowadays its probably down to 30 minutes or less for long lines.

Automatic gates for Thais are very quick though, my friend goes pass it in less than 20 seconds.

I think they need someone to direct the passengers, many times I see Thai lines empty, they should at least process some foreingers in those lines.

I was there yesterday, extreme long line of people waiting for a taxi in terminal 1. Whats going on?

And when i asked a aot desk how to get connected to that fastest wi-fi they talk about , they did not even know.

Anyway..the food court was just fine in the new terminal.

Don mueang is and always will be the same old mess as it always was.

"How can anyone plan for this variation in traffic? "

I thought airlines had to lodge flight plans? These are lodged many hours before a flight. also Most landings are regular scheduled flighs and this info doesnt change a lot and should be readily available on the internet. Why wouldnt immigration staff according to expected demand? I had always assumed that was what they did and thT they just didnt have enough staff to cope. !!

• 1 year later...

I haven't read all the posts herein, but the answers are obvious: 

>>>  more skilled imm officers

>>>  streamline the bureaucracy

Part of the reason for the problems, is Thailand has a low % of adept English speakers. A farang can go into a Thai bank with, let's say, 30 employees, and he's lucky if ONE speaks passable English.  Similar in hospitals.  Police stations are worse.   In theory, every Thai who graduates from university is supposed to be able to speak passable English.  In reality, it's about 1 to 2% of graduates - probably a worse % than any other SE Asian country.

I read today that National Police Chief Pol Gen Chakthip had instructed Immigration Officers to return to their desks within two weeks. In a report to the Prime Minister, he said that the shortage of personnel to process immigration at the airports is partly because some are borrowed to work for Phu Yai (ie high-ranking officers) at other police offices. [Most of the immigration officers are female staff who have good communication skills and English proficiency, which are much-sought qualifications by senior police officers.]

"They are being recalled to service the people and make sure the immigration counters are open and ready to work. These officers are away because they are asked to help Phu Yai." 

---  You couldn't make this up.

How about separate lines for visa holders vs exempt entries?  Not like anyone would really know what that means of course.  But they could employ steerers to send people to the right lines.  I don't even know if it would help but someone needs to find a way to improve things other than to make excuses like "plane come a lot, we not know about dat".

On 2/9/2016 at 6:11 PM, terryw said:

I went through DMK last Saturday at 11am, only two people in the queue. Last month, same day and time, 20 people in front of me. How can anyone plan for this variation in traffic?

You read the flight schedules that are provided by the airlines.  If you were on line with only 2 people you came in on a private jet so that does not really apply to the general public on this forum.

Get Lao/Cambodians/Burmese to do the jobs. Just joking.

Manage the landing/leaving flights better? tbh they are not the worse; get in the non EU queue at Manchester airport and it could be an hour or more wait if arriving on a A380.

On 2/11/2016 at 6:38 PM, biggles45 said:

"How can anyone plan for this variation in traffic? "

I thought airlines had to lodge flight plans? These are lodged many hours before a flight. also Most landings are regular scheduled flighs and this info doesnt change a lot and should be readily available on the internet. Why wouldnt immigration staff according to expected demand? I had always assumed that was what they did and thT they just didnt have enough staff to cope. !!

Yup. It is not rocket science. But may take a little working through for sudden changes of flight schedules. But, it can be and SHOULD be done. Someone in Thailand must be capable of high order critical thinking? :whistling:

May Buddha and/or God help the country when their single gateway internet gets taken down.

On 13/08/2017 at 5:10 AM, andersonat said:

I read today that National Police Chief Pol Gen Chakthip had instructed Immigration Officers to return to their desks within two weeks. In a report to the Prime Minister, he said that the shortage of personnel to process immigration at the airports is partly because some are borrowed to work for Phu Yai (ie high-ranking officers) at other police offices. [Most of the immigration officers are female staff who have good communication skills and English proficiency, which are much-sought qualifications by senior police officers.]

"They are being recalled to service the people and make sure the immigration counters are open and ready to work. These officers are away because they are asked to help Phu Yai." 

---  You couldn't make this up.

hum...they forgot to add that the more attractive the female officers are, the higher their chances of getting "Phu Yaied"!!!:crazy:

On 8/16/2017 at 9:00 PM, observer90210 said:

hum...they forgot to add that the more attractive the female officers are, the higher their chances of getting "Phu Yaied"!!!:crazy:

Is that same as getting "leied" in Hawaii? :smile:

Archived