Elderly bridge players arrested in Pattaya get passports back

webfact

Elderly bridge players arrested in Thailand get passports back
Source: AAP

The elderly bridge players who were arrested in Thailand's seaside town of Pattaya for allegedly gambling have been given their passports back.

PATTAYA: -- More than 30 bridge-playing foreigners, including two Australians, who were arrested and charged with gambling offences in Thailand have been given their passports back and are likely to have the charges dismissed.

The group was arrested in the resort town of Pattaya last week and held for several hours before they were asked to pay 5000 baht (A$192) as bail and had their passports confiscated.

Briton Barry Kenyon, who founded the bridge playing group, told Thai English language media on Tuesday their passports and other documents were being returned.

Full story: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/02/09/elderly-bridge-players-arrested-thailand-get-passports-back

-- SBS NEWS 2016-02-10

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They would not have been forced to sign anything. It would all have been written in Thai, but they should have refused to sign it.

Admittedly, they were probably scared not to sign it, because they would not have been aware of the system.

Let's hope it all gets put to bed now, but don't be surprised if everything is not dropped.

I imagine somebody will be successfully prosecuted, for an obscure offence, with a paltry fine, in order for the B.I.B. to save some face.

Hope they get it back the money in a few weeks time.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if this happens. If it doesn't then I'd like to know who gets it.

32X5000 baht divided by fifty cops equals only 3200 baht per cop. Disappointing night's work. I hope they get the money refunded and an apology from the perps (cops).

Yes hope they get all the money back.

But you never know,

There could be a reduced amount ( face saving exercise ) at the last minute.

TIT. ohmy.png

Bail money is normally paid back in full BY CHEQUE!

Have fun cashing a Thai check if you don't have a Thai bank account.

They would not have been forced to sign anything. It would all have been written in Thai, but they should have refused to sign it.

Admittedly, they were probably scared not to sign it, because they would not have been aware of the system.

Let's hope it all gets put to bed now, but don't be surprised if everything is not dropped.

I imagine somebody will be successfully prosecuted, for an obscure offence, with a paltry fine, in order for the B.I.B. to save some face.

the woman who did not sign was kept in custody ...

But you never know,

TIT. ohmy.png

I'm sure these elderly expats will all have Thai bank accs.

An anyway more than likely will be one cheque for the full amount. Prob made out to Barry Kenyon.

the woman who did not sign was kept in custody ...

Well done that woman

It's a shame the 2 Koh Tao Burmese guys signed a false declaration for the murders they didnt commit. Once again shame on you Thailand.

Hope they get it back the money in a few weeks time.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if this happens. If it doesn't then I'd like to know who gets it.

It costs a lot of money to mount military/police raid involving over 50 heavily armed troops, wouldn't you agree? You know, those octogenerians might be dangerous!

Trying to imagine the thought process on the part of the Department of Public Administration officials who instigated this foolishness, I am at a loss for any reasonable purpose.

I don't subscribe to the 5000 baht x 32 theory, nor even to the gambling theory. Someone with a grudge? Against one player, or foreigners in general? A grudge large enough to be willing to fall on his own sword, as there will certainly be consequences for this...

Maybe just a part of the general trend of escalating harassment?

I don't know, but the more I think about it, the angrier I get. Jeezus, pick on someone who can defend themselves...

Thai cvnts.

But you never know,

TIT. ohmy.png

I'm sure these elderly expats will all have Thai bank accs.

An anyway more than likely will be one cheque for the full amount. Prob made out to Barry Kenyon.

They could arrange a bridge tournament - winner takes all??

It would be nice, just once, for someone in power to say "we made a mistake and we apologize". I'm glad that it seems the situation will be settled in favor of the poor folks that were arrested and they will get their money and passports back

According to orig. article they were charged according to the "Playing Card Act" of 1942 imposed by the Imperial Japanese Occupation? What the hell? Also, who said they were playing for money? Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. Was that established? I knew people who definitely played bridge for its own sake, not for money. Same as chess.

But you never know,

TIT. ohmy.png

Absolutely, I got refunded 40K after bailing someone out from the lock-up.

In case the person under investigation does a runner, or fails to show up on time at the reporting window or at the Court, the bail money is forfeited.

Archived