Elderly bridge players arrested in Pattaya get passports back

webfact

Elderly bridge players arrested in Thailand get passports back
Source: AAP

The elderly bridge players who were arrested in Thailand's seaside town of Pattaya for allegedly gambling have been given their passports back.

PATTAYA: -- More than 30 bridge-playing foreigners, including two Australians, who were arrested and charged with gambling offences in Thailand have been given their passports back and are likely to have the charges dismissed.

The group was arrested in the resort town of Pattaya last week and held for several hours before they were asked to pay 5000 baht (A$192) as bail and had their passports confiscated.

Briton Barry Kenyon, who founded the bridge playing group, told Thai English language media on Tuesday their passports and other documents were being returned.

Full story: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/02/09/elderly-bridge-players-arrested-thailand-get-passports-back

-- SBS NEWS 2016-02-10

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They would not have been forced to sign anything. It would all have been written in Thai, but they should have refused to sign it.

Admittedly, they were probably scared not to sign it, because they would not have been aware of the system.

Let's hope it all gets put to bed now, but don't be surprised if everything is not dropped.

I imagine somebody will be successfully prosecuted, for an obscure offence, with a paltry fine, in order for the B.I.B. to save some face.

Hope they get it back the money in a few weeks time.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if this happens. If it doesn't then I'd like to know who gets it.

32X5000 baht divided by fifty cops equals only 3200 baht per cop. Disappointing night's work. I hope they get the money refunded and an apology from the perps (cops).

Yes hope they get all the money back.

But you never know,

There could be a reduced amount ( face saving exercise ) at the last minute.

TIT. ohmy.png

Bail money is normally paid back in full BY CHEQUE!

Have fun cashing a Thai check if you don't have a Thai bank account.

I spoke to the public prosecutor yesterday and he told me that these charge will be dismissed and the case will not go ahead "For Sure".

We already know that from Barry Kenyon the founder, an ex tourist immigration advisor at Jomtien office.

They would not have been forced to sign anything. It would all have been written in Thai, but they should have refused to sign it.

Admittedly, they were probably scared not to sign it, because they would not have been aware of the system.

Let's hope it all gets put to bed now, but don't be surprised if everything is not dropped.

I imagine somebody will be successfully prosecuted, for an obscure offence, with a paltry fine, in order for the B.I.B. to save some face.

the woman who did not sign was kept in custody ...

Yes hope they get all the money back.

But you never know,

There could be a reduced amount ( face saving exercise ) at the last minute.

TIT. ohmy.png

Bail money is normally paid back in full BY CHEQUE!

Have fun cashing a Thai check if you don't have a Thai bank account.

I'm sure these elderly expats will all have Thai bank accs.

An anyway more than likely will be one cheque for the full amount. Prob made out to Barry Kenyon.

Archived