Elderly bridge players arrested in Pattaya get passports back

webfact

@ kingdratsab....................

the op is about bridge players in THAILAND ...not the UK.

No where has there EVER been anything mentioned about prizes on offer ..................and as an aside.....a prize is not the same as gambling.

@thaiduncankk...............have you ever thought that the time and efforts of the authorities could be better utilised investigating the hundreds, if not thousands, of venues regularly and consistently used for gambling by Thai citizens, police, officials that everyone ( except the BIB apparently) know to exist in every Thai city/town /village.

Anyway ......................MODS as the matter seems to have been resolved to the satisfaction of those actually involved in the incident ---maybe its time to close this thread

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No where has there EVER been anything mentioned about prizes on offer ..................and as an aside.....a prize is not the same as gambling.

@thaiduncankk...............have you ever thought that the time and efforts of the authorities could be better utilised investigating the hundreds, if not thousands, of venues regularly and consistently used for gambling by Thai citizens, police, officials that everyone ( except the BIB apparently) know to exist in every Thai city/town /village.

Anyway ......................MODS as the matter seems to have been resolved to the satisfaction of those actually involved in the incident ---maybe its time to close this thread

"I was also told that the case is still open but I shouldn't worry as it was highly unlikely that we would see the inside of a Court"

Till that day when it is announced it will never see court, its not resolved, case is still open

Prizes can be on offer anywhere .....here/ uk/usa ..all depends on the club you are playing at.

AHHHH now it is suggested by the the "all knowing one" This post is played out ...no more to be said.....lol

You state that as a long time player of this game that no Gambling or PRIZES occur in the

game of Duplicate pairs. I can state that on personal experience that is FALSE.

In a small area of the uk I've played in several clubs Where a PRIZE is given to players

who bid and make a GRAND SLAM

although you are quoting your experience in the UK...

I assume there are many sports events in Thailand that present winners and runners up with prizes, possibly even booby prizes...

WTA PTT Pattaya Open Tennis Tournament paid out nearly 10,000,000THB in prize money in 2014...

So sorry ...Sambum,

I'm from a generation that uses words to express my thoughts and feelings --------this usually leaves no room for mis-understandings.

not some stupid cartoon comic pictures.

My bad.

No problem novo! Next time I'll maybe use an old Beatles expression as well as the emoticon i.e. "Oh yeah?" gigglem.gif

But what does "My bad" mean? (Honestly, no sarcasm intended - I honestly don't know)

They would not have been forced to sign anything. It would all have been written in Thai, but they should have refused to sign it.

Admittedly, they were probably scared not to sign it, because they would not have been aware of the system.

Let's hope it all gets put to bed now, but don't be surprised if everything is not dropped.

I imagine somebody will be successfully prosecuted, for an obscure offence, with a paltry fine, in order for the B.I.B. to save some face.

No face left to be saved. They've painted themselves on the world skyline now as self-interested clowns who can't bring themselves to admit an error and publicly apologize. This'll be the open joke for years.

No one should've signed any untranslated statements or "confessions" (translated or un-). They should've stuck together, refused to sign, and refused to leave without their passports. 'Would've sent a strong message about abuse of police powers (and possibly gotten embassies involved and attracted more unwanted publicity).

You state that as a long time player of this game that no Gambling or PRIZES occur in the

game of Duplicate pairs. I can state that on personal experience that is FALSE.

In a small area of the uk I've played in several clubs Where a PRIZE is given to players

who bid and make a GRAND SLAM

although you are quoting your experience in the UK...

I assume there are many sports events in Thailand that present winners and runners up with prizes, possibly even booby prizes...

WTA PTT Pattaya Open Tennis Tournament paid out nearly 10,000,000THB in prize money in 2014...

novo also states "no entry fee no winners prizes" of course there are entry fees....Its called "Table Money" I'm beginning to doubt that "Know it all novo" has

ever been inside a bridge club.

@ Kingdratsab

The OP and myself ...are talking about events at the Pattaya Bridge club in THAILAND .

I couldnt care less about what happens ...........................

"In a small area of the uk I've played in several clubs Where a PRIZE is given to players"

as stated by one troll poster. Where just perhaps prizes and/or gambling my occur and mayor may not be legal.

Also it has been CONTINUALLY stated by persons that were present at the time of the "raid" that NO MONEY was being played for.

I have never claimed to be a "know it all " .......that again was a statement by a troll poster. I have only ever stated MY OPINION based on my experiences ( of which you know nothing).

Perhaps you could provide me with your ACCURATE knowledge of just what money /table money/prizes or whatever were involved at the Pattaya Bridge Club when this raid too place.

So lets put all this nonsense into perspective ...........................

People PAY MONEY to attend a soccer game ........does this mean that they are gambling.

People PAY MONEY to attend a concert or a movie...................does this mean that they are gambling.

This continued emphasis that ;

there COULD have been money involved

there COULD have been PRIZES involved

is just dumb and frankly tiresome.

For christs sake .............................there COULD have been drugs on the premises ---but none were found

..........................................................there COULD have been strippers or prostitutes ,bar girls at the premises ---but none were found

............................................................there COULD have been anything !!!!!!!!!!!

It DOES NOT justify the "raid" or the follow up treatment of these senior citizens.

People ( including yourself) should concern themselves with what DID take place..................not what they imagine may have occurred.

This is the end of my contribution on this subject ....I hope you can quickly find a new topic to troll on .

Cheers

@ Kingdratsab

The OP and myself ...are talking about events at the Pattaya Bridge club in THAILAND .

"In a small area of the uk I've played in several clubs Where a PRIZE is given to players"

as stated by one troll poster. Where just perhaps prizes and/or gambling my occur and mayor may not be legal.

Also it has been CONTINUALLY stated by persons that were present at the time of the "raid" that NO MONEY was being played for.

I have never claimed to be a "know it all " .......that again was a statement by a troll poster. I have only ever stated MY OPINION based on my experiences ( of which you know nothing).

Perhaps you could provide me with your ACCURATE knowledge of just what money /table money/prizes or whatever were involved at the Pattaya Bridge Club when this raid too place.

People PAY MONEY to attend a soccer game ........does this mean that they are gambling.

People PAY MONEY to attend a concert or a movie...................does this mean that they are gambling.

For christs sake .............................there COULD have been drugs on the premises ---but none were found

..........................................................there COULD have been strippers or prostitutes ,bar girls at the premises ---but none were found

............................................................there COULD have been anything !!!!!!!!!!!

It DOES NOT justify the "raid" or the follow up treatment of these senior citizens.

People ( including yourself) should concern themselves with what DID take place..................not what they imagine may have occurred.

This is the end of my contribution on this subject ....I hope you can quickly find a new topic to troll on .

Cheers

your statement was that there is no money paid for entry! get your facts right and engage your brain before you open your mouth,,,,I would "lay money" every

time bridge was played at the pattaya bridge club, table money was paid,

they have to pay for bidding boxes, boards, cards , and even the bridge tables themselves.

although this does not constitute gambling, you state no money changes hands for entry.

@ Kingdratsab

Cheers

your statement was that there is no money paid for entry! get your facts right and engage your brain before you open your mouth,,,,I would "lay money" every

time bridge was played at the pattaya bridge club, table money was paid,

they have to pay for bidding boxes, boards, cards , and even the bridge tables themselves.

although this does not constitute gambling, you state no money changes hands for entry.

this so called 'troll poster' was just telling you where your "facts" are total BS.

but you make these statments without 1st hand knowledge of the game.

kingdratsab..................

I tried to send you a PM as I have no desire to have a debate with you in open forum . But you have PM's blocked. So I have no option but to use the open forum.

I would not wish to debate the rules of bridge with you as you are quite likely more familiar with the rules than me .

I would not like to debate the etiquette of playing bridge with you as you are quite likely more familiar with this topic than me.

But we are discussing ........................GAMBLING here.

Are you saying that table money -----if and when paid is gambling ???? was it paid in Pattaya ---do you actually KNOW.????

Are you saying that giving prizes -----if and when given is gambling ???? were there any prizes ---do you actually KNOW ???

Or are you simply talking about the possibilities ......the what if 's ................

I could possibly win the lottery next month .................( wait isnt that a type of gambling)

I could possibly get hit by a very safe, legally driven bus when crossing the road tomorrow

I could possibly go for a holiday to Pattaya later this year ................................No -That aint gonna happen .

So lets not worry or talk about the un-known . Lets keep the discussion on the KNOWN .

A group of people were playing a social game of bridge on rented premises whilst ( some players) consumed alcohol that may or may not of been legally obtained.

Can you add any FACTS to the above statement.

kingdratsab..................

I tried to send you a PM as I have no desire to have a debate with you in open forum . But you have PM's blocked. So I have no option but to use the open forum.

I would not wish to debate the rules of bridge with you as you are quite likely more familiar with the rules than me .

I would not like to debate the etiquette of playing bridge with you as you are quite likely more familiar with this topic than me.

But we are discussing ........................GAMBLING here.

Are you saying that table money -----if and when paid is gambling ???? was it paid in Pattaya ---do you actually KNOW.????

Are you saying that giving prizes -----if and when given is gambling ???? were there any prizes ---do you actually KNOW ???

Or are you simply talking about the possibilities ......the what if 's ................

I could possibly win the lottery next month .................( wait isnt that a type of gambling)

I could possibly get hit by a very safe, legally driven bus when crossing the road tomorrow

I could possibly go for a holiday to Pattaya later this year ................................No -That aint gonna happen .

So lets not worry or talk about the un-known . Lets keep the discussion on the KNOWN .

A group of people were playing a social game of bridge on rented premises whilst ( some players) consumed alcohol that may or may not of been legally obtained.

Can you add any FACTS to the above statement.

You were quite willing to make out you were the expert in your previous comments.....

what is making you change your tack. ?

If you were paying attention to my previous comments throughout this episode, and in both posts

on this topic, you would know I fully agree that it was very unlikely that gambling was happening.

But you insisted that it was NEVER a possibility in duplicate pairs that either gambling, entry money

or prizes could be involved, and you were most insistent in many comments other posters that you knew this as fact.

I was trying to educate you to the fact "you were wrong".

Cheers

@kingdratsab ............................

At NO time have I ever claimed to be an expert or " know all" ..........that claim was made by another poster. Try reading what has been written not what you want to believe.

At NO time have I stated that anything related to the players at the Pattaya Bridge club was or wasnt a possibility.......................I have only ever stated that in the case of the players at the Pattaya bridge club......no direct evidence of gambling has been found --it has only ever been assumed that gambling occurred.

You are the one who has claimed what might have been possible.

You can believe what you think MIGHT have happened or what you think might be possible.

I prefer to deal with the know facts as reported..........particularly by those who were actually there at the time of the raid.

Archived