Elderly bridge players arrested in Pattaya get passports back

webfact

Posted on a bridge site:

Chodchoy Soponpanich, president of the Contract Bridge League of Thailand (CBLT) and staff held a meeting with the Interior Ministry and the matter appears to be resolved.

A message from a representative of the CBLT to Gianarrigo Rona [President of the World Bridge Federation] follows:

I have just returned (with the President of CBLT and staff) from a meeting with the Interior Ministry regarding our Gambling laws and the regulations of the National Sports Authority (NSA) and the matter has been resolved that for the time being all the players/groups contact CBLT and let us know the regular schedule of play and venue so that CBLT will produce a letter that will be sent to the local authorities in each vicinity…

In the meantime, they are helping us draft a letter to the NSA to include in the regulations that CBLT will be able to give permission to all our members/clubs/schools/ universities etc. to play for the promotion and practice of the sport, bridge. This process will take about a couple of months. Once that regulation is formal, we will be automatically be “out” of the gambling law…. (and we will be teaching bridge to the legal department of the Ministry !!)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, you see so much good work being done, such as Thai police smash major international passport forgery ring.

And then you see stupidity like this, dragging the good work down. What do you think people mostly remember ?

Trying to imagine the thought process on the part of the Department of Public Administration officials who instigated this foolishness, I am at a loss for any reasonable purpose.

I don't subscribe to the 5000 baht x 32 theory, nor even to the gambling theory. Someone with a grudge? Against one player, or foreigners in general? A grudge large enough to be willing to fall on his own sword, as there will certainly be consequences for this...

Maybe just a part of the general trend of escalating harassment?

I don't know, but the more I think about it, the angrier I get. Jeezus, pick on someone who can defend themselves...

Thai cvnts.

They don't need a thought process. The law states that if anyone - anyone - files a complaint against anyone - anyone - then it must be investigated. You know, like in the old Soviet days with secret police and neighbours spying on and reporting neighbours. Someone ignorant of the FACTS tipped off the authorities that gambling, that most heinous of crimes, was taking place and by foreigners too (wet dream), so they had to investigate. Why they needed 50 people to do it is another matter. Got to justify receiving a salary I suppose.

I think that the Thai authorities are unable understand that people play bridge, like chess, for the intellectual pleasure of the game. Since it is played with cards, they cannot avoid suspecting that gambling is behind it.

Thais do not do intellectual, so you can't really blame them for that.

They were playing duplicate bridge, which is not a gambling game. So for the nth time they were not playing for money.

In most games of any kind, the outcome is that eventually there is an outright winner.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that every contestant pays an entrance fee, with the total pot going to the eventual winner.

@

thaiduncankk

From your comment it seems that you know absolutely NOTHING about the card game of Bridge.

There is no entry fee, no winners prize ......( other than bragging rights).

It is a card game played purely for social interaction and mental stimulation. Hence why most of the players were of an advanced age.

@ thaiduncankk

From your comment it seems that you know absolutely NOTHING about the card game of Bridge.

It is a card game played purely for social interaction and mental stimulation. Hence why most of the players were of an advanced age.

If there is a winner, who has the 'so called' bragging rights, it is possible to gamble.

I am not suggesting they were gambling, just pointing out that it IS possible.

@ thaiduncankk

If there is a winner, who has the 'so called' bragging rights, it is possible to gamble.

It is also posible to gamble on whether the next car at an intersection will be a honda or not

I think that the Thai authorities are unable understand that people play bridge, like chess, for the intellectual pleasure of the game. Since it is played with cards, they cannot avoid suspecting that gambling is behind it.

Thais do not do intellectual, so you can't really blame them for that.

True, My MIl said to me why do I look after my plants in the garden when you cannot eat them basically saying wasting my time, same with cards why play for fun only play for money otherwise wasted time.

Bail money is normally paid back in full BY CHEQUE!

Have fun cashing a Thai check if you don't have a Thai bank account.

Not much chance of expats not having local bank accounts but even if they don't cashing an open cheque just involves taking it into the issuing bank with ID and exchanging it for cash.

@ thaiduncankk

At this venue the organiser said there were no prizes for the winners, just points. So why it's possible, it hasn't happened at their club. Duplicate bridge is not a gambling game, bottom line. Other forms of bridge can be. And any entrance money, if any is for the venue costs plus equipment, not for the benefit of any players.

@ thaiduncankk

At this venue the organiser said there were no prizes for the winners, just points. So why it's possible, it hasn't happened at their club. Duplicate bridge is not a gambling game, bottom line. Other forms of bridge can be. And any entrance money, if any is for the venue costs plus equipment, not for the benefit of any players.

I did state that I was not suggesting they were gambling.

@ thaiduncankk

I can read. And I stated they weren't gambling, nor is any other venue that plays duplicate bridge, so your comments are superfluous. It's like saying an alien invasion is possible, and just as likely.

For the nth time plus one, duplicate bridge is not a gambling game.

@ thaiduncankk

I can read. And I stated they weren't gambling, nor is any other venue that plays duplicate bridge, so your comments are superfluous. It's like saying an alien invasion is possible, and just as likely.

For the nth time plus one, duplicate bridge is not a gambling game.

I trust you have visited every venue in Thailand that plays your game.

You must be well travelled, fair play to you.

Archived