Elderly bridge players arrested in Pattaya get passports back

webfact

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@ thaiduncankk

From your comment it seems that you know absolutely NOTHING about the card game of Bridge.

There is no entry fee, no winners prize ......( other than bragging rights).

It is a card game played purely for social interaction and mental stimulation. Hence why most of the players were of an advanced age.

If there is a winner, who has the 'so called' bragging rights, it is possible to gamble.

I am not suggesting they were gambling, just pointing out that it IS possible.

At this venue the organiser said there were no prizes for the winners, just points. So why it's possible, it hasn't happened at their club. Duplicate bridge is not a gambling game, bottom line. Other forms of bridge can be. And any entrance money, if any is for the venue costs plus equipment, not for the benefit of any players.

I did state that I was not suggesting they were gambling.

I can read. And I stated they weren't gambling, nor is any other venue that plays duplicate bridge, so your comments are superfluous. It's like saying an alien invasion is possible, and just as likely.

For the nth time plus one, duplicate bridge is not a gambling game.

I trust you have visited every venue in Thailand that plays your game.

You must be well travelled, fair play to you.

I trust you could understand my post, but clearly not. To repeat for the nth time plus two, any venue used solely for the purpose of playing duplicate bridge is not a gambling game.

And please refrain from being a smart arse.

@ stephenterry ...........................

Dont feed the troll.

Just leave him alone in his imaginary world.

In his world ...we could all gamble on anything , anywhere , anytime .................so therefore we must all be breaking the law. Seems that everyone in his world is addicted to gambling.

Now I'm not saying we all do this ....but it is possible - according to Thaiduncankk.

Just like an alien invasion .

Just like me winning the lottery next month( Oh no gambling ....send in the swat team ).

We all KNOW that illegal gambling is endemic in Thailand .................it just depends who owns the venue and who gets a slice of the pie that matters as to whether it attracts attention of the BIB or not.

Hope they get it back the money in a few weeks time.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if this happens. If it doesn't then I'd like to know who gets it.

You mean that you don't know ? biggrin.png

I do hope there is a nice photo op with these lovely retirees and their friends from the army and local authority. A great opportunity for smiles all round methinksgigglem.gif

Yes hope they get all the money back.

But you never know,

There could be a reduced amount ( face saving exercise ) at the last minute.

TIT. ohmy.png

Bail money is normally paid back in full BY CHEQUE!

Have fun cashing a Thai check if you don't have a Thai bank account.

Counter sign the cheque and have one of your friends deposit it in their account and give you the cash?

Seems the police can come up with any number of reasons to hold you down at the police station. Then demand your passport and 5000 baht. I'd still be there because I don't carry either as a matter of course and know nobody to bring me my passport or 5000 baht.

People are laughing about this criminal roundup so much that they don't get the lessons being taught.

They would not have been forced to sign anything. It would all have been written in Thai, but they should have refused to sign it.

Admittedly, they were probably scared not to sign it, because they would not have been aware of the system.

Let's hope it all gets put to bed now, but don't be surprised if everything is not dropped.

I imagine somebody will be successfully prosecuted, for an obscure offence, with a paltry fine, in order for the B.I.B. to save some face.

Forcing arrested foreigners to sign documents written in Thai under duress seems to be legal and the 'standard operating procedure.' Makes the prosecution's job easy. Lawyers don't seem to represent their client's interests, only the interests of the Land of Self-incrimination Smiles.

Unfortunately the attention span of Western news media is about 48 hours, so the outcome of this case will probably never make international headlines again regardless of the outcome.

Meanwhile the Tourism Authority in Thailand, specially their London office, must have had field days on the issue. Will also be included in future training courses on how not to market a country for retirees - well done!

Now there is a great idea - the Bridge Associations of each country where there is a TAT promotion office should arrange for many of their members to mob these offices with questions about the legality of playing Bridge, Chess, Draughts, Whist, Monopoly etc etc. Maybe then the message will get through.

They would not have been forced to sign anything. It would all have been written in Thai, but they should have refused to sign it.

Admittedly, they were probably scared not to sign it, because they would not have been aware of the system.

Let's hope it all gets put to bed now, but don't be surprised if everything is not dropped.

I imagine somebody will be successfully prosecuted, for an obscure offence, with a paltry fine, in order for the B.I.B. to save some face.

I think the guy left holding the bag will be the guy that ran the show. Its called pin the tail on the donkey. The bail money hmm over time the interest will fade on the bail money and disappear and then it will be divvy up time. Time is always on their side and human nature so predictable.

Let this be a warning to anyone intending to hold a Monopoly marathon...

I sincerely hope the BIB is trained in recognizing real money from monopoly money. Hold on dice are used in the game. Do they have excise stickers on them as well? And all the cards of chance could look like foreign playing cards and the title card for Park Place might be considered authentic in their eyes. They could say that a group of tycoons were rolling the dice in a high stakes real estate gamble and railways. Then there is the game of Snakes and Ladders.

Yes hope they get all the money back.

But you never know,

There could be a reduced amount ( face saving exercise ) at the last minute.

TIT. ohmy.png

I think your onto something. I just noticed that the BOJ has now gone into negative interest rate territory along with some other world countries. The BIB could say there is a funds holding charge say 25% Part of a loaf is better than none.

What I find even more insidious, if true, was that according to one account that I read, a lawyer was present at the time of the Bridge player's arrest who told these people that it was OK to sign the 'confession'. Again, if true, then you have to ask yourself, "What is the value of obtaining Thai legal representation." Who can you trust to actually defend your rights after an arrest? If these 'declarations' are used to convict any of these players.....what then???

The article was in the Sydney Morning Herald

Australian bridge champion forced to sign gambling confession in Thailand

February 7, 2016 by Lindsay Murdoch

http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-bridge-champion-forced-to-sign-gambling-confession-in-thailand-20160207-gmnksj.html

@ thaiduncankk

From your comment it seems that you know absolutely NOTHING about the card game of Bridge.

It is a card game played purely for social interaction and mental stimulation. Hence why most of the players were of an advanced age.

If there is a winner, who has the 'so called' bragging rights, it is possible to gamble.

It's possible to gamble on any activity known to man, so what's your point?

Trying to imagine the thought process on the part of the Department of Public Administration officials who instigated this foolishness, I am at a loss for any reasonable purpose.

I don't subscribe to the 5000 baht x 32 theory, nor even to the gambling theory. Someone with a grudge? Against one player, or foreigners in general? A grudge large enough to be willing to fall on his own sword, as there will certainly be consequences for this...

Maybe just a part of the general trend of escalating harassment?

I don't know, but the more I think about it, the angrier I get. Jeezus, pick on someone who can defend themselves...

Thai cvnts.

Quote Maybe just a part of the general trend of escalating harassment? unquote. My money is on this one. Falling on ones sword is a likely outcome. One does that to pay the consequences of a big boo boo and because they are honorable. After saying this forget about anyone falling on a sword.

@ thaiduncankk

You can gamble on anything imaginable in this universe; all you need is someone willing to take the opposite side of the bet.

Meanwhile the Tourism Authority in Thailand, specially their London office, must have had field days on the issue. Will also be included in future training courses on how not to market a country for retirees - well done!

Nah. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/892149-british-led-card-room-raided-by-officials-in-south-pattaya/page-31#entry10404039

What I find even more insidious, if true, was that according to one account that I read, a lawyer was present at the time of the Bridge player's arrest who told these people that it was OK to sign the 'confession'. Again, if true, then you have to ask yourself, "What is the value of obtaining Thai legal representation." Who can you trust to actually defend your rights after an arrest? If these 'declarations' are used to convict any of these players.....what then???

The article was in the Sydney Morning Herald

Australian bridge champion forced to sign gambling confession in Thailand

February 7, 2016 by Lindsay Murdoch

http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-bridge-champion-forced-to-sign-gambling-confession-in-thailand-20160207-gmnksj.html

I agree, but the lawyer present would have been recommended by the arresting officials.

When he told them it was OK to sign a gambling confession, why did they believe him ?

I am pretty sure, out of 32, probably long term, expats, at least one of them, or more likely a few of them, would have had a contact number of an alternative legal advisor, other than the one present.

Trying to imagine the thought process on the part of the Department of Public Administration officials who instigated this foolishness, I am at a loss for any reasonable purpose.

I don't subscribe to the 5000 baht x 32 theory, nor even to the gambling theory. Someone with a grudge? Against one player, or foreigners in general? A grudge large enough to be willing to fall on his own sword, as there will certainly be consequences for this...

Maybe just a part of the general trend of escalating harassment?

I don't know, but the more I think about it, the angrier I get. Jeezus, pick on someone who can defend themselves...

Thai cvnts.

Sometimes all you can do is just shake your head! One would think that a certain amount of survailence should/would have been carried out, surely?? Tho cvnts are useful? tongue.pngclap2.gifcheesy.gifsad.pngwai.gif

Posted on a bridge site:

Chodchoy Soponpanich, president of the Contract Bridge League of Thailand (CBLT) and staff held a meeting with the Interior Ministry and the matter appears to be resolved.

A message from a representative of the CBLT to Gianarrigo Rona [President of the World Bridge Federation] follows:

I have just returned (with the President of CBLT and staff) from a meeting with the Interior Ministry regarding our Gambling laws and the regulations of the National Sports Authority (NSA) and the matter has been resolved that for the time being all the players/groups contact CBLT and let us know the regular schedule of play and venue so that CBLT will produce a letter that will be sent to the local authorities in each vicinity…

In the meantime, they are helping us draft a letter to the NSA to include in the regulations that CBLT will be able to give permission to all our members/clubs/schools/ universities etc. to play for the promotion and practice of the sport, bridge. This process will take about a couple of months. Once that regulation is formal, we will be automatically be “out” of the gambling law…. (and we will be teaching bridge to the legal department of the Ministry !!)

Not doubting this in the least but it is strange that the only place it can be found in google is this forum

Posted on a bridge site:

Chodchoy Soponpanich, president of the Contract Bridge League of Thailand (CBLT) and staff held a meeting with the Interior Ministry and the matter appears to be resolved.

A message from a representative of the CBLT to Gianarrigo Rona [President of the World Bridge Federation] follows:

I have just returned (with the President of CBLT and staff) from a meeting with the Interior Ministry regarding our Gambling laws and the regulations of the National Sports Authority (NSA) and the matter has been resolved that for the time being all the players/groups contact CBLT and let us know the regular schedule of play and venue so that CBLT will produce a letter that will be sent to the local authorities in each vicinity…

In the meantime, they are helping us draft a letter to the NSA to include in the regulations that CBLT will be able to give permission to all our members/clubs/schools/ universities etc. to play for the promotion and practice of the sport, bridge. This process will take about a couple of months. Once that regulation is formal, we will be automatically be “out” of the gambling law…. (and we will be teaching bridge to the legal department of the Ministry !!)

Not doubting this in the least but it is strange that the only place it can be found in google is this forum

Interesting. That's what I see too. Would be nice to see the original link to this document.

The group had been charged under the Playing Card Act of 1943 enacted during the occupation of the country by the Japanese Imperial Forces.

Was the occupation by the Japanese Imperial Forces really the cause of the introduction of the Playing Cards Act B.E. 2486 (1943)? This is the first time I see this connection being made. It does seem a bit odd, though, that the earlier Playing Cards Act of 1941, amended in 1942, was abrogated after only two years to be replaced by the new one. Did the revenue fro the tax collection under this Act go to the Japanese forces?

the woman who did not sign was kept in custody ...

Well done that woman

It's a shame the 2 Koh Tao Burmese guys signed a false declaration for the murders they didnt commit. Once again shame on you Thailand.

The incentive given by the BIB in many cases seems to be that you will not be released until you sign a statement of guilt. If you are not guilty, you can (try to) retract that statement later in court. gigglem.gif

Archived