Uninsured Brit in Phuket moped accident has left her parents with £35,000 credit card debts

webfact

Too bad she had the accident....hope she fully recovers and soon. But she "didn't forget" to get insurance....she just didn't want to pay for insurance. Too many young people always feel indestructible/think it will not happen to me.

For a measly sum of money for peace of mind, i cant feel sorry for her owing so much money.. Dont like seeing people hurt, but when will they learn, after all they would be covered in their own home...

Folks, we must be a little more informed.

I used to own several travel agencies.

Travel insurers would pay us 40% commission.

So many times I made claims for people and by far the majority never got a cent.

The excuses that I heard from the insurers were unbelievable.

One reasonable sales rep even expressed to me the as a matter of course the first claim is refused automatically in the hope it will go away.

This exactly. And coming from someone with direct experience.

I've lived in Thai for 9 years without any sort of health insurance. Not because I'm [relatively] young and think i'm indestructible, but because even if something did happen, what are the chances the insurance company will actually cover? Are there any truly reputable/no hassle insurance plans that are reasonably priced?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...........Good God.......

...how and why are they allowed to rent out motor vehicles without insurance....

...this seems like the jet ski scam.....

...travel/medical insurance has NOTHING to do with it....

...and if they require a license in order to be covered...then some of the billions they rake in every year should be put to fixing that....

...time and again...foreigners come here and their lives are ruined....

...good in...bad out......

...what about we begin with good.....

...quality tourists.....

...what about we give some quality service.....

...and stop blaming the victims here...

...it is not up to us to fix the myriad messes and shortcomings that exist....it is up to the host country...that opens its borders to us....

...welcomes us....and our hundreds of billions of baht annually....

...get real.....

....rent a moped or motorbike or car.....license and insurance on the spot......

...a little more civilized than just taking a sap's money and leaving them to fend for themselves in a foreign land...

Too bad she had the accident....hope she fully recovers and soon. But she "didn't forget" to get insurance....she just didn't want to pay for insurance. Too many young people always feel indestructible/think it will not happen to me.

For a measly sum of money for peace of mind, i cant feel sorry for her owing so much money.. Dont like seeing people hurt, but when will they learn, after all they would be covered in their own home...

Folks, we must be a little more informed.

I used to own several travel agencies.

Travel insurers would pay us 40% commission.

So many times I made claims for people and by far the majority never got a cent.

The excuses that I heard from the insurers were unbelievable.

One reasonable sales rep even expressed to me the as a matter of course the first claim is refused automatically in the hope it will go away.

Scaremongering tactics like yours can prevent people from taking out travel insurance.

Most larger travel insurance claims are settled in the country directly with the hospitals and therefore you would never have been involved.

Yes, ridiculous commissions to travel agents were paid in the past and that's why i personally would never buy a travel insurance policy from a travel agent, in the same way I would never buy extended warranty insurance from a retailer (commissions make your 40% look minuscule!). Buy direct, you can save a fortune.

And contrary to popular belief, most genuine claims are paid without any problems but if you return from holiday without the correct documentation such as medical bills, police reports etc then it is likely a claim will not be paid. It's a well known fact that some people do like to try to regain some of their holiday overspending with a spurious insurance claim.

And your "reasonable sales rep" is either talking rubbish or working for a very unreputable company!

Every time I've rented a car or motorbike in Thailand I was told it came with 'full insurance', whatever that means. So perhaps the person she rented from should be sued for telling lies, fraud, or something. As for the driver that hit her, while there is little chance of a court finding him responsible (afterall, she is a rich farang), they should sue him in court, provided he did not flee the scene of the accident which is so common here. This is a dangerous country in many ways. Can't trust a soul, can't believe what you hear, can't rely on much...........

you cannot get insurance to cover you in uk for more than 60 days when you are outside european union and most will only do 30 days , they always have in small print on the policy that you have to return to uk within a length of time if you get a 1 year policy if you dont return within a certain length of time say 60 days or 30 days then the policy is void , the insurance company love to take a ridiculous amount for the policy and then expect you to come back to uk within 30 days or 60 days then fly back out again which they know you will not do so they dont have to pay you !! but in this case the girl came for 9 months so cannot get insurance in uk for a long stretch like that , which is ridiculous this is because the longer you are out here in thailand the more chance that an accident will happen so the insurance companies in uk dont want to do it but they are ok to scam you out of about 200 pounds for a 1 year policy that does not cover you if your here longer than 60 days at a time AS USUAL ITS RIP OFF BRITAIN WHO DONT GIVE A DAM ABOUT ITS CITIZENS !!! SAME AS THE EMBASSY HERE !!

Ever heard of shopping around? Ever heard of reading the basic policy conditions? There are plenty of companies offering exactly the type of coverage that a backpacker on a 9 month trip requires. It's just more expensive that an annual policy as the longer you are away, the more likely you are to become sick or have an accident.

Not just the young.

An astonishing number of TV members live here without insurance.

Being over 70 a lot of us have no choice.

you cannot get insurance to cover you in uk for more than 60 days when you are outside european union and most will only do 30 days , they always have in small print on the policy that you have to return to uk within a length of time if you get a 1 year policy if you dont return within a certain length of time say 60 days or 30 days then the policy is void , the insurance company love to take a ridiculous amount for the policy and then expect you to come back to uk within 30 days or 60 days then fly back out again which they know you will not do so they dont have to pay you !! but in this case the girl came for 9 months so cannot get insurance in uk for a long stretch like that , which is ridiculous this is because the longer you are out here in thailand the more chance that an accident will happen so the insurance companies in uk dont want to do it but they are ok to scam you out of about 200 pounds for a 1 year policy that does not cover you if your here longer than 60 days at a time AS USUAL ITS RIP OFF BRITAIN WHO DONT GIVE A DAM ABOUT ITS CITIZENS !!! SAME AS THE EMBASSY HERE !!

Wrong. You can get long stay policies for travel and working for up to 2 years. Try World Nomads or World Insure.

I have had 3 different company's insurance policies in the last 7 years or so. I suggest you check your facts before ranting in future.........

It is not just the young that think they have superhuman skills. There are thousands of old foreigners here chugging around on motorbikes and I might add have developed local ways.... no helmet, taking mad chances at U turns. Not stopping and looking at a junction just drive out, not checking over the shoulder on both sides before making a move left or right...the list goes on... and the death toll rises.

Heard yesterday of a foreigner hitting a pot hole at night. 2 broken wrists, a fractured skull and a bill for 350,000 baht.....10,000 U.S.

My global insurance for health and accidents is 440 pounds a year. Not 10,000 dollars or 35,000 pounds as in the case of this young girl.

Can you tell me what company, please ?

I can only think he is under 40 or something and it is a long stay policy or similar but happy to be proven wrong........

I have never seen a 'moped' in Thailand. I've seen motorbikes but not the moped which is a motorized bicycle you can either pedal or use motor; thus 'mo ped'. Of course the standard European will continue to use 'moped' as they like to invent their own language. wiki-moped for a photo, mate

you so right. I´m a Danish stay in Thailand for 16 years. I do not have insurance

because I can´t have it from Denmark when i have those to stay and live in Thailand.

Thailand not give insurance to white people why i do not know.

You know insurance company here in Thailand there accept people from Europe?

Ever heard of shopping around? Ever heard of reading the basic policy conditions? There are plenty of companies offering exactly the type of coverage that a backpacker on a 9 month trip requires. It's just more expensive that an annual policy as the longer you are away, the more likely you are to become sick or have an accident.

Ever tried reading the post i posted ??? kindly post here on reply companies that will cover you in the uk for 9 months total not in bits while your here in thailand as you WONT FIND ANY TRY READING A POLICY BEFORE POSTING !

FCO and ABTA issue warning to young British travellers

18 June 2014

Recent research issued by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) has identified that over 1 in 3 young travellers do not consider travel insurance to be a necessary part of planning for their trip overseas.

Statistics identified that almost half of 16-24 year olds are willing to take the risk of travelling without insurance and 42% choose to travel without it because they believe travel insurance is too expensive

Insurance_Infographic_FINAL1.png

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RnsRYA-el7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hottrader77 you do not know your facts I have a policy that covers me for 90 days and I only travel to Thailand now, and I can get a year long policy if I tell my company what date I am leaving and what date I am due back simple.

Not just the young.

An astonishing number of TV members live here without insurance.

How do you know?

Ive said before you should be made to show you have travel insurance on entry no insurance no entry and if you get caught in an accident or fall ill and do not have it and you get found out make it an offence with a 10,000 baht fine for being so bloody stupid

...........Good God.......

...how and why are they allowed to rent out motor vehicles without insurance....

...this seems like the jet ski scam.....

...travel/medical insurance has NOTHING to do with it....

...and if they require a license in order to be covered...then some of the billions they rake in every year should be put to fixing that....

...time and again...foreigners come here and their lives are ruined....

...good in...bad out......

...what about we begin with good.....

...quality tourists.....

...what about we give some quality service.....

...and stop blaming the victims here...

...it is not up to us to fix the myriad messes and shortcomings that exist....it is up to the host country...that opens its borders to us....

...welcomes us....and our hundreds of billions of baht annually....

...get real.....

....rent a moped or motorbike or car.....license and insurance on the spot......

...a little more civilized than just taking a sap's money and leaving them to fend for themselves in a foreign land...

because madame TAT goes for the numbers, nothing else matters.

Was the Thai or farang at fault ? Dont Thais have insurance ?( stupid question)Farang has to pay here in Thailand thats why every tourist must have insurance.If a farang injured a Thai all hell would break loose. Passport seized. Pay now even though most medical care is free for Thais.!If youre not insured youre far better off in a public hospital expecially here in Bangkok.I had an operation plus medical care over 5 days.....20,000 baht.Private hospitals in Thailand will fleece you blind.There is no way her injuries -being serious as they are- would cost 1.8m baht.In Bangkok maybe 100-200,000 baht. Thais free.

Thais Public hospitals are paid for by the Thai taxpayer. Why should the Thai taxpayer pay for free hospital cover for farangs who can afford insurance but are too tight? I dot think many other countries cover free private hospital cover for tourists, and why should they.

Private hospitals are always dearer, Phuket is always dearer. She took a bet by not having cover, and she lost. Bad luck.

The mother issued good advice to all tourists, in the form of the remark, .(Brits) do things on holiday that they would never dream of doing at home. Good on her I say, because if only one tourist takes heed, then she has helped.

The full report states that the girl was on "the back" of the "moped" when the accident happened. Does this imply that someone else was driving it? Whoever was driving it that person legally required a Thai motorcycle licence or International Licence, because most insurance companies would, as outlined in a previous post, use this factor to make a claim null and void.

Which brings me to the oft confused term moped. A moped in the UK is by definition a hybred of a motor attached to a pedal bicycle. In the UK, no drivers licence is required to use one, as they are regarded more a bicycle than a motorcycle. I have never seen one of these in Thailand, however I have seen motorcycles and motorscooters advertised under this term.

What I'm getting at is the fact that some tourists may hire a motorcycle, under the term moped, thinking that they do not require any form of licence to drive it. IMHO, this is a dangerous practice conducted by all concerned. I would like to see the motorcycle hire company/outlet/shop, ask to view the persons drivers licence as a prerequisite to hire.

Of course, for financial reasons this will never happen, and the financial onus in the event of a damage falls on the hirer...who generally has left their passport as a guarantee with the hire shop.

Parents of gap year students should wise up and purchase insurance for their offspring as a pre preemptive strike.

(An annual policy inc motorbikes & adventure sports being much cheaper than graphically highlighted in this example!)

It may still not cover them...

i.e. The policy I have from my company covering me and my family doesn't cover them for a motorbike accident if the driver doesn't have a valid licence (I avoid motorcycle taxis - just in case).

And even when the driver has a licence, the insurance wouldn't cover if she wasn't wearing a helmet...

It also only covers trips of up to 60 days at a time... - but that's a normal annual policy... you'd get something different if you were "travelling".

" Forgetting to take out travel insurance prior to her trip '..... No, not forgetting, wanting to save

a $100 or thinking that, nothing will happened TO ME... what an expensive trip it turned out

to be.. would anyone learn anything from it? I doubt it very much.....

$100 ? Guess I got screwed cause I paid closer to $800 for 6 months travel insurance

The problem is the tourists... not Thailand.

Insurance? No.

Experience of riding? No

Protective gear? No.

Riding in an unsafe manner? Yes.

It's clear to see who is at fault.

Ah.... I could be wrong, but I think you missed out the salient point that she "WAS HIT BY A TRUCK"!

Whilst undoubtedly your points can and do contribute to a lot of accidents in Thailand, I believe your final statement is just plain wrong ( or the report is wrong).

You list a couple of accident mitigation issues... Without addressing the cause, and apportion blame from a biased position, whereas blame, or fault, is normally apportioned , in some manner, to all parties, even down to the fact that the victim is partially to blame, because she was there.... If not there, then no accident

To have been hit by a truck, bus, minivan, car or any other vehicle in Phuket is quite often the fault of the hitter, not the hit.... From what I have seen, including nationals stuck under cars or smeared across the windscreen of big buses, as Thai drivers drive with an alarming lack of care

To wit... The concurrently running story about a Phuket bound bus crashing off the road injuring five, because the driver tried to slip in a cat nap.... "She'll be right, I'll only close my eyes for a second or two, then I'll be good to go"

If I missed the humerouse intent... Mea culpa.

Wrong. You can get long stay policies for travel and working for up to 2 years. Try World Nomads or World Insure.

I have had 3 different company's insurance policies in the last 7 years or so. I suggest you check your facts before ranting in future.........

THIS IS FROM THE COMPANY WEBSITE YOU SAID WORLD NOMADS , AND ITS A GOOD JOB YOU DID NOT HAVE AN ACCIDENT TRY READING THE POLICY NEXT TIME AS I SAID BEFORE READ THE CONDITIONS YOU WERE NOT COVERED AS I SAID !!!!!!

www.worldnomads.com/Quote/MultiTarget

Add Extras
Trusted by: partner-logos-options.png
Standard
£314.45GBP

Make sure you're covered for activities you do & any high value items you take.

Buy Now
Email your quote
High Value Items

Are you taking high value personal items such as laptops, iPads or cameras?

Adding high value items below covers your item without depreciation being applied.

You can increase this to a maximum of £1,250 with a £400 limit per item.

Please keep in mind that there are some excluded items that we won't cover.

• Item Name
  • Item Value (£)
  • Add
Make sure you're covered for all your adventures

Add any adventure, sports, work or volunteer activities that you think you’ll be doing to make sure you’re covered

Add

Special conditions where applicable:

(a) You must be with a professional, qualified and licensed guide, instructor or operator

(B) you must have the appropriate certification or licence to do this sport or activity at home. If operating a motor vehicle the driver must have the appropriate valid UK licence for the machine;

© within 60 miles of a safe haven (a protected body of water used by marine craft for refuge from storms or heavy seas);

(d) Conventional skiing / snowboarding only. It is not a condition of cover that you ski or board with a guide, however, you must follow the International Ski Federation code or the resort regulations and we recommend that you do not venture into back country areas without taking local advice and appropriate rescue equipment;

(e) You must hold a British Sub Aqua Club certificate or Professional Association of Diving Instructors certificate or equivalent and follow the relevant Club or Association rules and guidelines at all times, or you must only dive under the constant supervision of a properly licensed diving school and follow their rules and instructions at all times.

Special exclusions where applicable:

(i) No cover for any competition, free-style skiing / snowboarding, ski/ snowboard jumping, ski-flying, ski / snowboard acrobatics, ski / snowboard stunting, or ski racing or national squad training, the use of skeletons

(ii) No cover for any unaccompanied dive, any dive in overhead environments, or any dive for gain or reward

(iii) No cover for free mountaineering, climbing in remote or inaccessible regions, exploratory expeditions and new routes, high altitude climbing over 6,000 metres

Buy Now
Email your quote for later
Send
Your Trip
Destination(s) Thailand Start Date 12 Feb 2016 End Date 11 Feb 2017 Traveller age 29 Country of Residence United Kingdom
Quote Summary Plan Standard Base Policy £307.45 Footprints Donation £7.00
Total
£314.45GBP
visa-cc.jpg mc-cc.jpg
thawte-padlock.png
WorldNomads.com is supported by different insurers from around the world. Always read your policy wording to review your specific coverage and to make sure that the policy is right for you. WorldNomads.com is a trading name of WorldNomads.com Pty Limited. World Nomads Limited is an appointed representative of Millstream Underwriting Limited. This product is underwritten by Millstream Underwriting Limited on behalf of AGA International S.A. Mondial Assistance (UK) Limited is the appointed administrator for AGA International SA in the United Kingdom. Section 19 Financial Failure Protection of this travel insurance is insured by certain underwriters at Lloyd’s and is administered by International Passenger Protection Limited (IPP). Full details are set out in the policy wording.
Already a member? Sign In

WorldNomads.com Pty Limited (ABN 62 127 485 198 AR 343027) is an Authorised Representative of Cerberus Special Risks Pty Limited (ABN 81 115 932 173 AFSL 308461), and markets and distributes insurance products of Bupa Denmark (Bupa Global Travel), branch of Bupa Insurance Limited, 15-19 Bloomsbury Way, London, WC1A 2BA (No. 3956433). World Nomads Limited Company (05443592) is an Appointed Representative of Millstream Underwriting Limited, 145 Leadenhall St, London EC3V 4QT (FCA 308584). World Nomads (Canada) Ltd (BC0700178, ON-1708111, SK-101206919, MB-853797942) is a licensed agent for AIG Insurance Company of Canada, 145 Wellington Street West, Toronto, ON, M5J 1H8. World Nomads, Inc. (15854422), in CA dba World Nomads Travel Insurance Services (0I46621), provides Insurance underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and affiliated companies, Columbus, OH. All of the information we provide about travel insurance is a brief, general summary. It doesn't take into account your personal situation, what you want or might need. Before you buy, it's important to consider what product is right for you and you should carefully read all policy documents, including the Policy Wording/Product Disclosure Statement/Certificate/Policy/Product Guide, to understand what's covered, what's not covered and the limits, terms and conditions which may apply.

Sport/Activity Name Premium (£) Motor biking - as a pillion passenger - under 125cc - (a) - on road only - no touring or where a motorbike is the main mode of transport Included xremove Motor biking - on road under 125cc - (B) - No touring or where a motorbike is the main mode of transport - no personal liability cover Included xremove

TRY READING THE POLICY KNOWALL OR SHOULD I SAY NO NOTHING !!

Ive said before you should be made to show you have travel insurance on entry no insurance no entry and if you get caught in an accident or fall ill and do not have it and you get found out make it an offence with a 10,000 baht fine for being so bloody stupid

Saying it before makes it right does it?

Do you not understand some people can't get cover?

Do you not understand, if she was taken to a "normal" Thai hospital, the bill would have been minute compared to rip off international hospitals.

Do you not understand insurance companies make money, that is their business? If the Thai government were to offer a real policy on arrival for tourists, that would help.

What about people who live here, would you in you righter than right arrogance have them deported?

She was a passenger on a bike that was rear ended! Do you not understand that?

I have standard travel insurance with my credit card, and separate insurance for any-cc motorbike and then a massive credit card limit incase shit hits the fan or i feel like riding an unregistered supersports or something

But yeah, i bet tens of thousands of foreigners just wing it, and 99.9% of the time get away with it

Archived