Uninsured Brit in Phuket moped accident has left her parents with £35,000 credit card debts

webfact

" Forgetting to take out travel insurance prior to her trip '..... No, not forgetting, wanting to save

a $100 or thinking that, nothing will happened TO ME... what an expensive trip it turned out

to be.. would anyone learn anything from it? I doubt it very much.....

I must admit that I am guilty of not being insured. I don't have a flippant attitude, I simply do not do anything that could cause me injury like riding a motorbike or jet skiing. Maybe she thought like me but all it takes is a mistake by someone else and BANG!! That's it!! Poor girl. This report alone has convinced me to be insured from here on in.

"I simply do not do anything that could cause me injury like riding a motorbike or jet skiing." - you don't have to be caused and injury whilst performing an activity to be banged up by medical bills here.

What if you have a stroke or heart attack?

What about a slip and fall and you break a hip?

What about being assaulted?

The list of sudden and severe medical conditions is endless, and they do not involve the dangers of living in Thailand, as they could happen to you anywhere. Eg. appendicitis.

"This report alone has convinced me to be insured from here on in." - good idea. :)

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad she had the accident....hope she fully recovers and soon. But she "didn't forget" to get insurance....she just didn't want to pay for insurance. Too many young people always feel indestructible/think it will not happen to me.

For a measly sum of money for peace of mind, i cant feel sorry for her owing so much money.. Dont like seeing people hurt, but when will they learn, after all they would be covered in their own home...

Folks, we must be a little more informed.

I used to own several travel agencies.

Travel insurers would pay us 40% commission.

So many times I made claims for people and by far the majority never got a cent.

The excuses that I heard from the insurers were unbelievable.

One reasonable sales rep even expressed to me the as a matter of course the first claim is refused automatically in the hope it will go away.

Agreed......Insurance companies are some of the richest and yet most devious and downright dishonest on Earth!

you cannot get insurance to cover you in uk for more than 60 days when you are outside european union and most will only do 30 days , they always have in small print on the policy that you have to return to uk within a length of time if you get a 1 year policy if you dont return within a certain length of time say 60 days or 30 days then the policy is void , the insurance company love to take a ridiculous amount for the policy and then expect you to come back to uk within 30 days or 60 days then fly back out again which they know you will not do so they dont have to pay you !! but in this case the girl came for 9 months so cannot get insurance in uk for a long stretch like that , which is ridiculous this is because the longer you are out here in thailand the more chance that an accident will happen so the insurance companies in uk dont want to do it but they are ok to scam you out of about 200 pounds for a 1 year policy that does not cover you if your here longer than 60 days at a time AS USUAL ITS RIP OFF BRITAIN WHO DONT GIVE A DAM ABOUT ITS CITIZENS !!! SAME AS THE EMBASSY HERE !!

Sorry but you are wrong.....From the UK you can get extended/long trip insurance or annual cover no problem: See travelsupermarket.co.uk. Im 63, just did a quick quote for 180 days to Thailand and Laos, which used to be the limit, and best quote was from the Co-op at £182.....Not bad!

Was the Thai or farang at fault ? Dont Thais have insurance ?( stupid question)Farang has to pay here in Thailand thats why every tourist must have insurance.If a farang injured a Thai all hell would break loose. Passport seized. Pay now even though most medical care is free for Thais.!If youre not insured youre far better off in a public hospital expecially here in Bangkok.I had an operation plus medical care over 5 days.....20,000 baht.Private hospitals in Thailand will fleece you blind.There is no way her injuries -being serious as they are- would cost 1.8m baht.In Bangkok maybe 100-200,000 baht. Thais free.

What's the problem with Thai's being free,it's part of the deal of being born in Thailand.I think you will find that serious injury is not free or the medical system would be broke,as it nearly is already.

It is not just the young that think they have superhuman skills. There are thousands of old foreigners here chugging around on motorbikes and I might add have developed local ways.... no helmet, taking mad chances at U turns. Not stopping and looking at a junction just drive out, not checking over the shoulder on both sides before making a move left or right...the list goes on... and the death toll rises.

Heard yesterday of a foreigner hitting a pot hole at night. 2 broken wrists, a fractured skull and a bill for 350,000 baht.....10,000 U.S.

My global insurance for health and accidents is 440 pounds a year. Not 10,000 dollars or 35,000 pounds as in the case of this young girl.

1st rule of riding a bike in Thailand,don't do it at night.Locals told me that years ago and can only agree.

Too bad she had the accident....hope she fully recovers and soon. But she "didn't forget" to get insurance....she just didn't want to pay for insurance. Too many young people always feel indestructible/think it will not happen to me.

For a measly sum of money for peace of mind, i cant feel sorry for her owing so much money.. Dont like seeing people hurt, but when will they learn, after all they would be covered in their own home...

Folks, we must be a little more informed.

I used to own several travel agencies.

Travel insurers would pay us 40% commission.

So many times I made claims for people and by far the majority never got a cent.

The excuses that I heard from the insurers were unbelievable.

One reasonable sales rep even expressed to me the as a matter of course the first claim is refused automatically in the hope it will go away.

This is normal sharp practice from insurance companies but your comeback is the ombusman,your local MP,etc.Never get insurance from a travel agent,for the above reasons.Get it from your health fund provider.Been there,done that,got paid,on a skim scam.

you cannot get insurance to cover you in uk for more than 60 days when you are outside european union and most will only do 30 days , they always have in small print on the policy that you have to return to uk within a length of time if you get a 1 year policy if you dont return within a certain length of time say 60 days or 30 days then the policy is void , the insurance company love to take a ridiculous amount for the policy and then expect you to come back to uk within 30 days or 60 days then fly back out again which they know you will not do so they dont have to pay you !! but in this case the girl came for 9 months so cannot get insurance in uk for a long stretch like that , which is ridiculous this is because the longer you are out here in thailand the more chance that an accident will happen so the insurance companies in uk dont want to do it but they are ok to scam you out of about 200 pounds for a 1 year policy that does not cover you if your here longer than 60 days at a time AS USUAL ITS RIP OFF BRITAIN WHO DONT GIVE A DAM ABOUT ITS CITIZENS !!! SAME AS THE EMBASSY HERE !!

Sorry but you are wrong.....From the UK you can get extended/long trip insurance or annual cover no problem: See travelsupermarket.co.uk. Im 63, just did a quick quote for 180 days to Thailand and Laos, which used to be the limit, and best quote was from the Co-op at £182.....Not bad!

His odds are wrong also,every day,same odds.

The problem is the tourists... not Thailand.

Insurance? No.

Experience of riding? No

Protective gear? No.

Riding in an unsafe manner? Yes.

It's clear to see who is at fault.

You are so wrong!

Do you need insurance to be a passenger on a motorbike? How many people jump on a motorbike taxi here in Pattaya without insurance?

Experienced in sitting on the back????

Protective gear? What would you suggest?

Riding in an unsafe manner. What a stupid remark! She was a passenger!

A truck ran into the back of them. How can you turn that into "she is wrong?"

Did you read the article prior to writing your uneducated drivel?

As soon as she stepped foot on the plane to leave England she was wrong.Just a matter of when she was wrong.

...........Good God.......

...how and why are they allowed to rent out motor vehicles without insurance....

...this seems like the jet ski scam.....

...travel/medical insurance has NOTHING to do with it....

...and if they require a license in order to be covered...then some of the billions they rake in every year should be put to fixing that....

...time and again...foreigners come here and their lives are ruined....

...good in...bad out......

...what about we begin with good.....

...quality tourists.....

...what about we give some quality service.....

...and stop blaming the victims here...

...it is not up to us to fix the myriad messes and shortcomings that exist....it is up to the host country...that opens its borders to us....

...welcomes us....and our hundreds of billions of baht annually....

...get real.....

....rent a moped or motorbike or car.....license and insurance on the spot......

...a little more civilized than just taking a sap's money and leaving them to fend for themselves in a foreign land...

You must come from the nanny state where personal responsibility does not excist.The Thai taxpayer has no responsibility whatsoever to a tourist who is too tight to look after themselves.Now she has burdened her parents with a credit card debt.Maybe you should put in some money to help.If her own government wont help,why should Thailand.

Almost all the farangs don't know they could loose 1.800.000 Baht easily in the incompetent hospitals in Thailand.

I think the private hospital was very competent in extracting 1.8million baht.All these prices are negotiable.Was her embassy advising her and her parents?He is a copper so must have some brains.

you so right. I´m a Danish stay in Thailand for 16 years. I do not have insurance

because I can´t have it from Denmark when i have those to stay and live in Thailand.

Thailand not give insurance to white people why i do not know.

You know insurance company here in Thailand there accept people from Europe?

AXA on Rama 4.6 months at a time.

The problem is the tourists... not Thailand.

Insurance? No.

Experience of riding? No

Protective gear? No.

Riding in an unsafe manner? Yes.

It's clear to see who is at fault.

You are so wrong!

Do you need insurance to be a passenger on a motorbike? How many people jump on a motorbike taxi here in Pattaya without insurance?

Experienced in sitting on the back????

Protective gear? What would you suggest?

Riding in an unsafe manner. What a stupid remark! She was a passenger!

A truck ran into the back of them. How can you turn that into "she is wrong?"

Did you read the article prior to writing your uneducated drivel?

As soon as she stepped foot on the plane to leave England she was wrong.Just a matter of when she was wrong.

Maybe you have been brainwashed by the safety brigade.

Why do they call it a moped?

Was it under 50cc?

This is what a normal travel insurance covers, be aware when renting a bike.

Precisely.

Although frustratingly difficult as it may be, people need to be aware what exactly they are being covered for and not thinking, I have travel insurance, I'm covered for everything.

Insurance companies are not stupid, and they would have many clauses and condition, and find ways not to pay in certain claims. This type - Tourist riding bikes in Thailand - would be easily one of them. All they have to ask is, was the riding legally licensed to ride in the country and let's face it 99% of tourists are not.

Done, claim denied, This type of cover would be extremely expensive if you told them, oh, and I'll be riding around the island of Phuket with only shorts and thongs, your insurance covers me for right???

I stopped taking out insurance out insurance long ago. If you read the fine print you ARE NOT COVERED for motorcycles (including tuk tuks and the like) unless you have a proper license. Meaning 90% of your travel isn't covered!

This is Aus issuance but I find it hard to differ

They could always get you on a technicality here as well,

What is proper licensing?? One obtain in Thailand I guess, but would your license from back home be regarded as proper and acceptableable by the insurance company, I doubt it!!!

I stopped taking out insurance out insurance long ago. If you read the fine print you ARE NOT COVERED for motorcycles (including tuk tuks and the like) unless you have a proper license. Meaning 90% of your travel isn't covered!

This is Aus issuance but I find it hard to differ

They could always get you on a technicality here as well,

What is proper licensing?? One obtain in Thailand I guess, but would your license from back home be regarded as proper and acceptableable by the insurance company, I doubt it!!!

That would depend on the policy conditions. If they say 'IDP' a home license is not legal, if they say 'legally allowed to ride' a home license would be acceptable.

So what hospital was she sent to to rack up a 1.8M debt...even if it includes the flight back, it's very expensive. Private hospital?

For sure all farangs go immediately to a private hospital - and yes it's very expensive. Friend on mine racked up more than 200,000 baht for 3 days in ICU at Phuket International Hospital.

no question expensive, but as a American this seems like nothing for these kind of injuries.

i was in a Hospital Emergency Room for three hours in Los Angeles for kidney stone pain. no operation, no broken bones, NOTHING. just a xray and pain killers.

The bill was $11,000 USD or about 387,000 baht.

My Appendectomy cost $25,000 USD and my kidney stone lithotripsy cost $38,000 USD. Both very common operations. So from my point of view, I will stay in Thailand where medical is so cheap it is almost free.

Doubt insurance would have helped, majority won't cover motor bike in Asia, even the taxi ones

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Not true.

2nd stevenI, my insurance covers it but puts a cap on the amount.
Good to know, you what's the cap?

My insurance policy, from NZ, does provide full motorcycle cover, with exclusions as follows:

Not covered if

Your claim arises from being in control of any motorcycle (any 2 or 3 wheeled motor vehicle with engine displacement over 50cc), moped or scooter (any 2 or 3 wheeled motor vehicle with engine displacement under 50cc) without a current NZ motorcycle licence or you are a passenger travelling on any motorcycle, moped or scooter that is in the control of a person who does not hold a current motorcycle licence valid for the country you are travelling in

Doubt insurance would have helped, majority won't cover motor bike in Asia, even the taxi ones

My insurance policy, from NZ, does provide full motorcycle cover, with exclusions as follows:

Not covered if

Your claim arises from being in control of any motorcycle (any 2 or 3 wheeled motor vehicle with engine displacement over 50cc), moped or scooter (any 2 or 3 wheeled motor vehicle with engine displacement under 50cc) without a current NZ motorcycle licence or you are a passenger travelling on any motorcycle, moped or scooter that is in the control of a person who does not hold a current motorcycle licence valid for the country you are travelling in

That's the catch you Need a valid motorcycle back home licence and most tourist don't have one so effectively not covered

I've ridden with plenty of friends who had international car license thinking all was well.. Not anymore

Not just the young.

An astonishing number of TV members live here without insurance.

I'd be very happy to get it if you can name a reasonable policy for over 65's. Surely this is a non story, as far as I recall most insurance policies do not cover tourists riding bikes

• 4 weeks later...

So what hospital was she sent to to rack up a 1.8M debt...even if it includes the flight back, it's very expensive. Private hospital?

Probably, and that isn't expensive for what she had. I would have had to pay 52 thousand baht for a 3 day stay just to have iv antibiotics for bronchitis. Of course I had insurance, so nothing for me.

It’s so dangerous – Brits go to Thailand and think nothing of jumping on mopeds and doing things they’d never do at home.”

So why are they so stupid (not just Brits but also other nationalities) ?

Having seen many young ( around18 to 25 ) farang tourists when I used to visit the beaches twice a year for 10 years in the naughties, IMO they are pretty stupid, as think nothing of riding m'bike wearing only shorts and flip flops ( bikini top for girls ). Probably never ridden m'bike before in their lives, which automatically means they are not insured for m'bike accidents.

I guess they think they know it all, but only because they are too young to know that they don't know much at all.

Up in Chiang Mai the idiots think they can ride two abreast on push bikes on the very narrow streets- stupid and inconsiderate.

Not just the young.

An astonishing number of TV members live here without insurance.

I'd be very happy to get it if you can name a reasonable policy for over 65's. Surely this is a non story, as far as I recall most insurance policies do not cover tourists riding bikes

Of course they do, usually for an extre fee. However, must have m'bike licence in home country, not drive m'bike over certain size ( ? 125 cc ) and must wear crash helmet.

Archived