BANGKOK 16 June 2019 18:24

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Thai Education Ministry admits A-Net test too difficult

Education Ministry admits A-Net test too difficult

1002002-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Education has admitted that the A-Net (Advanced National Educational) test on nine subjects for Mathayom 6 students is too difficult for the students.

Deputy Education Minister Thirakiart Charoensetthasilp said on Wednesday that the test results which show most of the students scored poorly – between 20-30 out of 100 – on eight out of nine subjects could not be used as a measurement of the quality of education of Thai students. The students scored over 50 out of 100 on Thai language subject, he added.

The deputy education minister said he didn’t want to make any excuse but he stressed that the poor test results showed there is a need for the entire educational system to be overhauled starting from the standard of the curricula, teaching management and performance assessment.

He pointed out that several quizzes were unclear or ambiguous making it difficult for the students to answer correctly.

He said that the quizzes of the nine subjects were used in university’s direct entrance examinations and, therefore, they are more difficult than O-Net (Ordinary National Educational) test.

In the future, he said that the National Institute of Educational Testing Service which organized the A-Net test in February should design appropriate quizzes which are not too difficult and not too easy.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/150431

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-11

What kind of results do you expect to get when you have a no-fail school system? Now was the test too difficult for the students or were the students not smart enough for the test? If I read the article right, this was an advance placement test.

As a teacher in Thailand for 5 years and still involved in education, there is a lot I could say.

they are more difficult than O-Net (Ordinary National Educational) test.

In the future, he said that the National Institute of Educational Testing Service which organized the A-Net test in February should design appropriate quizzes which are not too difficult and not too easy.

good idea, and you could call it NSA-Net (Not So Advanced National Educational) test

As a teacher in Thailand for 5 years and still involved in education, there is a lot I could say.

AS a Thai teacher, you should be ashamed of yourself.

If you want to say that you are a poor teacher, who doesn't care about your students; and you are a sheep, who just follows the bad teachering programs ? Then I have said it for you.

Poor education leading to poor exam marks in a poorly organised exam leads to students who cant tell the difference between a loan and a grant. tongue.png

"He pointed out that several quizzes were unclear or ambiguous ...."

What does he expect - yesterdays students are today's teachers.

Wow scoring between 20 - 30% on a multiple choice test. Work it out. The majority of students have learned nothing by the time they exit high school. The no-fail policy can be blamed in part. The tests are hard for a reason - to create demand for tutorial schools and help push only the wealthy into prime university positions. There is virtually no equitability in education in this country. If you poor, you are most likely to stay poor. Then, there is over 100 private universities who will take anyone who can pay - they all 'passed' school after all. Suffice to ay I have seen a decrease in performance and attitude over the last 15 years teaching here.

Often wondered who did those test makers know to get into that position.

The students scored over 50 out of 100 on Thai language subject

Might as well to just teach the english language using native english speaking teachers. But the students might lose their Thainess.

If you want to say that you are a poor teacher, who doesn't care about your students; and you are a sheep, who just follows the bad teachering programs ? Then I have said it for you.

I assume you've never been involved in Education here. As an expat, as soon as you try to do anything different and help the kids, you're looking for a new job. Sorry, but in most cases, that's the reality.

The Ministry of Education has admitted that the A-Net test is too difficult for the students. Only, because he has tried and he failed.

The students scored over 50 out of 100 on Thai language subject

Might as well to just teach the english language using native english speaking teachers. But the students might lose their Thainess.

Wow! Great to get over 50 out of 100. I would not be saying it was OK unless it was at least over 80. Problem at the top with expectations? They need to grade the students appropriately and not just pass them on. If you are a less than 50 student how do you possibly pass to the next grade?

LOL...anyone ever teaching in Thai schools or institutions quickly learn not to question or try to change the status quo. If one tries, one finds himself without a job quicker than one says: This is Thailand!

Best way to deal with the nonsense is to teach the students as good as one can. There is no other way. Trying to interfere with the system is guaranteed way to get big problems.

I have been teaching at some point as a volunteer. They asked me to become permanent teacher which I refused. I have been working in a Thai consulting agency, half government and half private and my experiences are that the problems and ridiculous practices go through the whole society. When working in well-paid job add the backstabbing...and making problems look like the Farang did it.

If you haven't tried, why don't you give it a go? Holier-than-thou...