Teacher Licensing, Culture Testing, TCT

Boatabike

Sorry for being so late in responding, internet connection problems.

Unfortunately, at our school you wouldn't be able to get a job. From what other's have posted, it sounds like in other provinces you wouldn't have as much trouble. Somewhere along the way, they may get things a little more uniform--then again maybe not.

The people we deal with are clear--must have a Bachelor's (minimum).

Sorry, Scott I should have been more detailed. I'm doing a Bachelor of teaching (BTchg) at the moment in New Zealand. Six months ago I came to the conclusion that the hassles of being an illegal teacher in Bangkok weren't worth the stress. So it was back to NZ for me. The degree is a 3 year primary school qualification, however I have read elsewhere that some schools in Thailand require a 4 year degree. Can you confirm this?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you present an interesting case. I can't actually answer you, however, if you have a teaching certificate from another country and a teacher's license and a degree (I don't think the length of time is that important), you should be able to teach here.

It might depend on where you are planning on teaching, because some areas seem to be a little bit more lenient than others.

Overall, though, I don't think you have to worry too much because if you get a job and WP and TL, it would be pretty hard to for anyone to challenge it. Your documents are real, so no fraud and you are a teacher.

Go for it and best of luck to you.

A baccalaureate that says upon it "Bachelor of....[anything]" is a bachelor's degree, with no indication of how many months of full-time study it took. If you started in early June 2004, took slightly more than a full time load, and never stopped for holidays including summer, you could finish by late May 2007 or by August 2007. Who would know, unless they analyzed your academic transcript much too closely? I started in 1960 and received my BA at the end of 1971; who cares?

On the other hand, some former teaching universities (called in America, 'normal schools') used to award a three year 'degree' that may not have been a bachelor's. It didn't keep Lyndon B. Johnson from becoming an accredited public schoolteacher, senator and president. Same in Australia, I understand. Oddly, these were or are professional education degrees, even if they're not exactly degrees!

supply and demand

they're choosy where they can afford to be choosy - big-city high-salaried jobs

they're not choosy where they can't afford to be choosy - provincial towns and government schools anywhere

Some remote provinces don't even bother with work permits, teacher licenses, help on visas. You're accepted as an ajarn, and no 'formalities' are done, until you need a new visa, at your own expense. So things have changed drastically for some employers who play the game down at the MOE and MOL offices.

Not quite sure how to reply on this site. I just want to add, that I am working as an english teacher in a gov't school in a small town in the province of Kamphaeng Phet. Nobody wants to work here as a teacher. Because of my lack of a BA, the school seems to be unwilling to support a WP application. They are however, willing to employ me without a WP and are quite happy to have me. I have been honest with them about my lack of qualifications from the start. They have only been able to attract Phillipino teachers thus far, which the students have a hard time understanding. They prefer me with no qualifications over a non native speaker with qualifications. I am unsure about the consequences of doing this if caught or the chances of being caught. I think I know what the rules are, but this is Thailand. Can anyone educate me on this? In case you are wondering....I came here for a girl. Her uncle is Sub-Director at the high school here. I haven't been teaching at the school for long, reports from the students and the other 6 english teachers (Thai) are quite favorable. They want me to stay, but are unsure about how to proceed with me. They say that no WP is less of a problem than applying for one would be. Feedback?

Canada: I think your basic problem might be the visa situation. Are you on a Tourist Visa? If so what happens when you have used up your 180 days?

A lot of schools don't have a problem per se with the degree situation, it is the MOE (Ministry of Education) that set the rule. And without the MOE and eventually the Labor Department for the WP, you might not be able to stay.

People with valid long stay visas, although technically working illegally, aren't usually caught.

Canada, that's what I'm talking about, and Scott is right. It's the darn visa that expires sooner than later, and then what? I used to literally make annual trips around the world to get a new annual visa, and then 90 day visa runs to the border, until I crashed doing a visa run. And whilst all the local police knew who I was and waiied me, and the provincial MoE inspector was very friendly to me when he visited the campuses where I worked, I still never had a WP. And I was qualified! BA, TEFL cert, annual visa - and no work permit.

If they really, really, really want you to stay, your girlfriend's uncle will pick up the phone, call his puu yai buddies at the ministry of labour, and figure out a way to get you a work permit. If not, I suggest you kiss the girl and the job good-bye.

Not quite sure how to reply on this site. I just want to add, that I am working as an english teacher in a gov't school in a small town in the province of Kamphaeng Phet. Nobody wants to work here as a teacher. Because of my lack of a BA, the school seems to be unwilling to support a WP application. They are however, willing to employ me without a WP and are quite happy to have me. I have been honest with them about my lack of qualifications from the start. They have only been able to attract Phillipino teachers thus far, which the students have a hard time understanding. They prefer me with no qualifications over a non native speaker with qualifications. I am unsure about the consequences of doing this if caught or the chances of being caught. I think I know what the rules are, but this is Thailand. Can anyone educate me on this? In case you are wondering....I came here for a girl. Her uncle is Sub-Director at the high school here. I haven't been teaching at the school for long, reports from the students and the other 6 english teachers (Thai) are quite favorable. They want me to stay, but are unsure about how to proceed with me. They say that no WP is less of a problem than applying for one would be. Feedback?

Whatever it is they are paying you, ask for more. Save more money, be happy. Don't worry too much. Show them that if they can't get you the paperwork they are going to have to pay more money or else have a full Filipino staff. You are doing them a favor by working there. You said it yourself that no one else would wants to work there!! I doubt you'll get deported for working without a permit unless someone takes a big disliking for you, even then with the Uncle in charge nothing can happen to you.

Canada: I think your basic problem might be the visa situation. Are you on a Tourist Visa? If so what happens when you have used up your 180 days?

A lot of schools don't have a problem per se with the degree situation, it is the MOE (Ministry of Education) that set the rule. And without the MOE and eventually the Labor Department for the WP, you might not be able to stay.

People with valid long stay visas, although technically working illegally, aren't usually caught.

I am on a tourist visa. Three entries, two months each. When it expires, I plan to go to Myanmar and purchase what I can. One or two, two month visas. You usually can't get a six month from over here. Myanmar is close to where we are staying. The money is not my big concern. It is not why I am doing this. Just really want something to do, to be able to contribute, and earn enough to live here for a while. I'll be going back to Canada next year. Thanks for your replies.

A baccalaureate that says upon it "Bachelor of....[anything]" is a bachelor's degree, with no indication of how many months of full-time study it took. If you started in early June 2004, took slightly more than a full time load, and never stopped for holidays including summer, you could finish by late May 2007 or by August 2007. Who would know, unless they analyzed your academic transcript much too closely? I started in 1960 and received my BA at the end of 1971; who cares?

On the other hand, some former teaching universities (called in America, 'normal schools') used to award a three year 'degree' that may not have been a bachelor's. It didn't keep Lyndon B. Johnson from becoming an accredited public schoolteacher, senator and president. Same in Australia, I understand. Oddly, these were or are professional education degrees, even if they're not exactly degrees!

The three years I'm doing for my degree also requires an additional two years as a graduate teacher to qualify as a New Zealand registered teacher. But I've done two years teaching in Bangkok on my TEFL Cert. So I'm hoping that'll be sufficient to get me legal in Thailand. Would it be correct to presume that for the top jobs the schools might require evidence of home country registration, in addition to an education degree?

Munted, in my limited understanding of international schools, the top ones around the world, all require home country registration and home country years of experience, as a professional teacher. Your mileage may vary, and I would think that a job at a second tier international school in Bangkok wouldn't be too bad in pay or conditions.

Canada, that's what I'm talking about, and Scott is right. It's the darn visa that expires sooner than later, and then what? I used to literally make annual trips around the world to get a new annual visa, and then 90 day visa runs to the border, until I crashed doing a visa run. And whilst all the local police knew who I was and waiied me, and the provincial MoE inspector was very friendly to me when he visited the campuses where I worked, I still never had a WP. And I was qualified! BA, TEFL cert, annual visa - and no work permit.

If they really, really, really want you to stay, your girlfriend's uncle will pick up the phone, call his puu yai buddies at the ministry of labour, and figure out a way to get you a work permit. If not, I suggest you kiss the girl and the job good-bye.

PB, I've never heard you talk so blunt. Can't he at least keep the Girl?

Canada, that's what I'm talking about, and Scott is right. ..... If they really, really, really want you to stay, your girlfriend's uncle will pick up the phone, call his puu yai buddies at the ministry of labour, and figure out a way to get you a work permit. If not, I suggest you kiss the girl and the job good-bye.

PB, I've never heard you talk so blunt. Can't he at least keep the Girl?

Oh bungalow bill, I forgot about your virgin ears. Okay, he can kiss the girl and keep her.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this query, but if a teacher with 26 years of experience in vocational education in his country of origin, but with no degree, wants to get qualified for a work permit, where is it best to start? The teacher is in Bangkok and wants to work in a private EP/bilingual school.

Am I missing something?

After reading this thread a couple of times I am at a loss to understand why Ram or the Thai government would target people already holding a Bachelors degree for improvement. Although I think an educational advancement opportunity is generally a great idea, what problem is solved or addressed by this move?

MPL

Hello, MPL!

The requirement for a license is not a Bachelor degree from any field but a Bachelor degree or higher in education. That's where this update opportunity for degree holders from fields other than education comes from.

Uli

Am I missing something?

After reading this thread a couple of times I am at a loss to understand why Ram or the Thai government would target people already holding a Bachelors degree for improvement. Although I think an educational advancement opportunity is generally a great idea, what problem is solved or addressed by this move?

MPL

Hello, MPL!

The requirement for a license is not a Bachelor degree from any field but a Bachelor degree or higher in education. That's where this update opportunity for degree holders from fields other than education comes from.

Uli

Uli, I have also just finished reading this entire thread again, including my promise to tone down the sarcasm. I have also checked the two URL's to the site you quoted. I'm still unsure or dubious (doubtful). Since an entire three months have transpired since you started this topic, and we are far closer to the starting date, would you please tell us the current status? I live in Chiang Mai: where do I enroll? Who are the professors? Where is a list of the subjects and courses to be taught?

Who says we have to have a bachelor degre or higher IN EDUCATION (your emphasis)? What is her name and phone number, who decrees on high that we must have such degrees? And this applies where, outside the BMA's oversight of private EP and bilingual programs? Details, please, or I am tempted to close the topic entirely after deleting the URL's which don't answer such relevent questions.

Thanks, Uli. I still suspect that the staff at the uni pulled a fast one on the European, but I'm often mistaken.

Am I missing something?

MPL

Hello, MPL!

Uli

Uli, I have also just finished reading this entire thread again, including my promise to tone down the sarcasm. I have also checked the two URL's to the site you quoted. I'm still unsure or dubious (doubtful). Since an entire three months have transpired since you started this topic, and we are far closer to the starting date, would you please tell us the current status? I live in Chiang Mai: where do I enroll? Who are the professors? Where is a list of the subjects and courses to be taught?

Who says we have to have a bachelor degre or higher IN EDUCATION (your emphasis)? What is her name and phone number, who decrees on high that we must have such degrees? And this applies where, outside the BMA's oversight of private EP and bilingual programs? Details, please, or I am tempted to close the topic entirely after deleting the URL's which don't answer such relevent questions.

Thanks, Uli. I still suspect that the staff at the uni pulled a fast one on the European, but I'm often mistaken.

Just a question,maybe, I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, but if someone has a bachelors degree in education why would they enrol to do a Diploma in it? Smells like BS to me.

Secondly people with a degree in education are more than likely to be working as a subject teacher in an International School, so they hardly going to feel the need to enrol on this course.

Just my observation.

mrtoad, that's not how I understand the program that Uli is promoting at the uni. It's for people with a BA or BS etc. but not a B.Ed. He appears to want us to believe that the govt. of Thailand will REQUIRE all non-B.Ed. graduates to get education credits. I'm calling his bluff and asking for the name and number of a Thai govt. official at the MoL or the MoE that will officially state it's the official requirement for all farang teachers at all schools in Thailand. Or whatever.

But we could all be mistaken, because Thailand is the Land of Mai Kojai.

mrtoad, that's not how I understand the program that Uli is promoting at the uni. It's for people with a BA or BS etc. but not a B.Ed. He appears to want us to believe that the govt. of Thailand will REQUIRE all non-B.Ed. graduates to get education credits. I'm calling his bluff and asking for the name and number of a Thai govt. official at the MoL or the MoE that will officially state it's the official requirement for all farang teachers at all schools in Thailand. Or whatever.

But we could all be mistaken, because Thailand is the Land of Mai Kojai.

Thanks PB, that confirms for me that this is another shameless marketing strategy to scare Farang's to enrolling on a worthless course at a second rate university.

Thanks PB, that confirms for me that this is another shameless marketing strategy to scare Farang's to enrolling on a worthless course at a second rate university.
Well, I'm pretty brave and even shameless :o at times, but I wouldn't go that far. Neither would I edit your remarks since they seem to be a rational explanation based on the sparse available evidence.

Well, I'm pretty brave and even shameless :D at times, but I wouldn't go that far. Neither would I edit your remarks since they seem to be a rational explanation based on the sparse available evidence.

Well, someone had to say it. So ,it may as well be me. :o

I will recant, however, if the OP is able to provide sound evidence to back up his claims.

I wouldn't be so skeptical. As I've said in earlier postings there is a requirement in the BMA private EP/bilingual schools domain for education credits for a longer-term WP (3 years at present). This may seem a pretty restricted domain if you're not in it, but there are a lot of schools that fall under it and I would expect that they're Ramkhamhaeng's immediate market for this course.

My school has had people do a similar course at another uni (Suan Dusit) in the past and they did get their extended WPs accordingly. I am also aware of a case recently where a teacher was given only a one year EP on the grounds that the teacher's degree was not related to teaching in an EP. It was an unusual case and the decision seemed very strange, but there you are.

I couldn't say that the MoE are going to be rigidly consistent in their application of a clear set of rules. It all seems, euphemistically, to be a "work in progress", but if a teacher does not currently have a WP and is looking for security and potential mobility of employment as a teacher in the Bangkok area I think the RKH offer is worth thinking about.

(I have no shares in, commission from, nor any connection with RKH, by the way!)

I have also checked the two URL's to the site you quoted. I'm still unsure or dubious (doubtful). Since an entire three months have transpired since you started this topic, and we are far closer to the starting date, would you please tell us the current status? I live in Chiang Mai: where do I enroll? Who are the professors? Where is a list of the subjects and courses to be taught?

Hello!

Please let me start with describing my role in the game. I am a lecturer in the international program in Business Administration and in Mass Communication Technology for almost 5 years now. My interests are in teaching in the Graduate Diploma program since I expect it to bring me together with highly interesting students. I don't teach in the B.A. (English) program, but in the smokers' corner, I am always available for a chat. There, I meet experienced teachers aged between 25 and 50 almost every day who join us for years to do their Bachelor degree. Their initial motivation might have been to secure their future in the job, but when you speak with them, they all tell you that they learned plenty of useful things that will make them better teachers. Any quality increase in education does not start with state law, it starts on the individual level of each teacher. You are very welcome to drop us a visit and have chat with them yourself.

My starting point in this area was an information I got from the director of IIS that we will offer this program in English and in Chinese Program from November this year. He also told me that RU offers it in the Thai program as well.

Questions around teaching licenses or working conditions of teachers at Thai schools are not my field of expertise. I just tried to find out why RU suddenly offers such a program in all major languages spoken in Thailand and, even more interesting, for such a low tuition fee (it's almost a third of what a similar program costs at ABAC). This research brought me to the National Education Act from 1999 (http://www.edthai.com/act/index.htm#Chapter%206). A closer description of the licensing rules based on this act (which is current law in Thailand) stems from an APEID conference in 1999 (http://www.edthai.com/reform/jan20e.htm). In chapter 3, point 5, the author describes the then-time requirements to obtain such as license: "(5.1) Thai nationality, (5.2) At least 18 years of age, and (5.3) Bachelor's degree in Education or higher. Holders of degrees other than education need to be trained to meet the standard of teaching profession."

The rest are conclusions, no more hard facts are available. Thailand is very careful of keeping the international recognition of its educational system, which is - surprisingly for some - quite high. One of our Ph.D. graduates at IIS last year became an tenure Assistant Professor of Marketing at Northern State University in the U.S., for instance, and we have quickly growing numbers of German students joining us for a semester abroad (with the credits accepted at German universities, of course).

November this year, the possibility to earn a degree in education of at least Bachelor level (the Graduate Diploma is a higher academic degree than a bachelor) in Thai, English, and in Chinese will be in place, even for a (more or less) affordable tuition fee (to offer it for such a low fee is a typical job for the largest Thai State University).

This program is obviously not installed because of an enormous market demand (discussion in this forum seem to confirm this assumption). There must be another reason - guess which one. My personal conclusion is that, after everything is in place, the qualification requirements coming from the 1999 Education Act will be enforced for foreign teachers as well (as the Chinese program shows, not only for Westerners who may be a tiny minority among all the foreign teachers at Thai schools). On an international scale, this is desirable and somehow overdue.

Thanks for trying to keep your sarcasm down, by the way. I try the same, but for me it's still ridiculous to assume that a language-school granted TEFL certificate might be seen as a sufficient qualification to teach as a teacher at school.

I apologize for not following this threat on a regular basis. I am not interesting in discussions below the belt. Anyone is welcome to contact me either by personal message in this forum or over the IIS Web site. If one does not want to study for this degree, it's fine.

Anyway, the discussion about qualifications to teach at Thai schools is desperately necessary, especially among those who already teach there. If they don't meet new (increased) formal qualification requirements, the state has, at least, to offer them a way they can go. That is what will be in place from November. The academic degree (anyone) is often a formal requirement, so it is in the matter of getting a teaching license.

This program at IIS is not a training how to deal in class with role games of certain more or less typical situations (which target group: pre-primary, primary, lower or upper secondary, specials needs, etc - that needs years rather than months if that should be included). This program is an academic degree program and, as such, very much theory. It is up to the lecturers to design the theory in a way that it meets students' needs. Exactly this is the reason why I posted the message in this and other forums - and I learned a lot. This will help me and my colleagues to design our courses as good as any possible.

If one wants to study it or not, sorry, is a question everybody has to answer for her-/himself. But if so, it should be good, independent of any licensing background or political policies probably forcing students to study it.

This is the current state of the program you asked for: We are in the design phase (with much pleasure since it is the most creative one). We know that the program starts in November, we know the 8 courses of which the program consists, we know (round about) the tuition fee, and not much more. The official translation of the curriculum is expected to be available some when in September this year. We don't expect is to come up with any surprises, it's just a normal procedure within the university bureaucracy. How the single course looks depends on the lecturer conducting it. The lecturers will be assigned in September or October next year. I made the experience at IIS that the lecturer with the best concept and a personal motivation to conduct this particular course will be asked to do so.

So, that's all what I know. Be sure that I permanently work on the design of this program and keep in touch with colleagues who would best fit in terms of their teaching experience in Thailand as well as their academic background and professional experience. Theory can focus very much on practice, and in this program, it should be that way.

Best regards,

Ulrich Werner

Edited by Uli

Thank you, Ulrich, for your lengthy post, which probably didn't answer my requests. You don't teach English, you don't teach in this diploma program (but you're a fine teacher). You don't know where or how the people in Chiang Mai (or perhaps even Bangkok) enroll, who the professors are, and the curriculum is a secret, if even known among the cogniscenti. Hopefully, it's potentially possible that an English translation of the curriculum might be available in late September of some year.

Now, back to the marketing technique you used in your opening post and others, regarding the Thai government's mandates for foreign teachers. You have not substantiated your claim in post #48, "The requirement for a license is not a Bachelor degree from any field but a Bachelor degree or higher in education." Now in post #56 it would appear that you more or less have a personal and uninformed hunch that the requirements for Thai educators in the often-neglected and often-unenforced Education Act of 1999 will possibly maybe be extended to some foreigners in some indefinite future.

Sorry, not good enough. I am removing your URL's and closing the topic. Let me know by PM when you have some facts.

Sorry for the delay in posting something here, but I was given a little holiday from TV!

If you have a teaching qualification from another country, your new school might want to try and get you a non-B. If they can't, or get any resistance, you might want to try and sign up for classes leading to a Bachelor's Degree. If you are actually doing classes in Thailand, then you can probably get a student or education visa. Working might be technically illegal, but the chances of getting caught are not particularly high.

Best of luck to you.

Sorry for the delay in posting something here, but I was given a little holiday from TV!

If you have a teaching qualification from another country, your new school might want to try and get you a non-B. If they can't, or get any resistance, you might want to try and sign up for classes leading to a Bachelor's Degree. If you are actually doing classes in Thailand, then you can probably get a student or education visa. Working might be technically illegal, but the chances of getting caught are not particularly high.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks Scott. I'll pass this on to the people concerned.

It's not for me. I got my teaching ticket in the days when dustless chalk was an exciting innovation, and we all gawped in wonder when the new spirit duplicator was introduced to the school! (The headmaster kept it in his office.)

The case is an unusual one. I don't think the visa is a problem, just the WP.

I don't know how this fits in...but here is my current situation.

I got hired through an agency about 2 months ago to teach in a public high school in BKK.

I already was holding a non-b visa which I had for a long time just to make my stay here easier.

I have a Bachelors Degree and a 120 hour TESOL certification.

The agency has had no end of trouble applying for my teacher's license at the education ministry (havent even started the WP process yet).

First, the education ministry didnt like my TESOL certificate (because I had done the TESOL course inside Thailand). So the TESOL school had to go back to the accrediting institution (in USA) and ask them to issue a new certificate with their name only (removing all references to the course taking place inside Thailand).

The second visit to the education ministry yielded a laundry list of new problems. They doubt my bachelors degree. Demand to see the original diploma. My transcripts also. They want copies of my entire passport (all pages). And they didnt like the photo I submitted (I had my photo taken in one of the King's knit polo shirts) and so I have to get new photo wearing a long sleeve dress shirt and tie.

So far the agency has been going to the ministry themselves. But now that they want to see the original diploma, I insist on going with them (I'm not letting that document out of my sight!).

I asked the agency why this is so hard. They have many teachers and I think many less qualified than me. They are as baffled about this as I am.

foolforlove, your case sounds so unusual that bizarre sounds more appropriate. I wonder if your agency is bluffing or lying and not doing half what they say. The photo story is believable, but farfetched as well. If you worked directly for the school, instead of the agency, I doubt you would need a teacher's license at all, except for the supposed Thai culture course in somtam/wais/hongnams. Nobody else has ever reported, to my memory, problems with a TEFL course taken in Thailand (at least not a 120 hour course).

Going to the ministry yourself is a good idea; we wouldn't trust our degree diplomas to be out of our sight, either.

Perhaps your agency is not in good favor with the ministry, or a particularly demanding officer is in charge of your case.

Peaceblond,

I think several causes are in play.

Yes, I think the people at my agency are somewhat incompetent. Or at best just lazy.

But, all the farang teachers at my school are from this agency. And they all went through the process of getting a teachers license from the education ministry, then getting the WP from labor dept. They have all been teaching for one year or more, so they did not have this much trouble (I'm guess before some rule changes). The agency has pretty much said I am the first person they are taking through the new process.... so apparently it is tougher now.

I have also suggested to the agency, as you noted, that perhaps they need to talk to someone else at the ministry...maybe they are getting someone with a bad mood or something.

Lastly, the TESOL certificate is from AUA. And when I told them about the problem, they knew about it already. I was not the first to get this problem about taking the course inside Thailand. The person at AUA says now that only two TEFL-type programs inside Thailand are being recognized by the ministry (which two, I am sorry but I do not remember). And that AUA now issues all new certificates with the American accrediting institution only listed.

Wow!

If the business about not accepting tefl type certificates earned in Thailand is true, the ramifications are endless for programs and people alike. :o

I'm curious as to which two certificates earned in Thailand have been deemed worthy of acceptance?

Foolforlove, is this scenario playing out in Bangkok?

This is TEFL Breaking News and you're reading it here first, folks. :D

Edited by mopenyang