Teacher Licensing, Culture Testing, TCT

Boatabike

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The list of requirements (in English) from the government

2. The confirmation (by a government source) that your course does cover the necessary requirements, or at least some sort of testimonial from someone who has actually seen the actual test and knows the actual material in your actual course.

"Steven"

Indeed a good question. It happend in Phetchaburi a couple of months ago. A particular institute was promoting a similar course. A school send its teachers to it (the teachers had to pay themselves). A month later the teachers found out that the course wasn't accredited by the Teachers' Council of Thailand.

Money gone and the teachers have to do it again.

Petch01

The British International School of Phuket and Rangsit University have organized a 20 hour Teacher Training Course in Thai Culture and Language.

There are many foreign teachers in Thailand who are in schools, yet have not met the new standards of the Teachers’ Council. In order to help improve the qualifications of the foreign teachers in Thailand, the Rangsit University Faculty of Education is contributing to teaching effectiveness by providing a training program.

That'll be the 12,000 baht course. (Twelve thousand baht) and no one has yet satisfied anyone who 'needs' this course that the course providers are in a position to offer a bona fide certificate.

The course it designed for foreign teachers to comply with those requirements from the Thai Ministry of Education (or MoE), as the course aims to train foreign teachers in Thailand to better understand Thai society and to know and accept the professional code of conduct for teachers in Thai schools.

Excellent idea. Now, where do our native Korean, Japanese, Chinese and Spanish teachers sign up? They speak neither English nor Thai by the way. But they are foreign.

Teachers interested must complete a 20 hour course, with a curriculum structure of 14 hours covering Thai Society, Thai language and Culture, etiquette, arts and music that will educate foreign teachers about mannerisms and 6 hours of professional ethics. Teachers will attend lectures and discussions while also getting to practice in real situations, like witnessing traditional dances, with evaluation from real practices and tests.

You have absolutely got to be taking the piss. Seriously - i have a class of 35 teenagers, 90% of whom don't want to learn English. That is a 'real situation' my friend. Is this musical spectacular aimed at rich tourists? Have i missed something here?

By the end of the course the trainees will hopefully understand the situation of Thai society in the past and present, understand the structure of the society, be able to understand some Thai language and basic characteristics and personalities of Thai people, mannerisms, politics, and government, sufficiency economy and social context.

Yes - hopefully they will. And what if your 'hopes' don't materialise?

Teacher ethics will include learning about the Thai educational system, as well as ethics for oneself, career ethics and behavior in the teaching profession.

You're having a laff. Educational 'system'? Ethics? Dont get those of us who have been here for a while, started.

This 20 hour teacher training course is for those in teaching professions who would like to be able to teach here in Thailand. This is Genevieve reporting for the Andaman News.

Special for Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) 8.30am + FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, both broadcast from Phuket City to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, Mazz Radio FM108 at 7.30pm in Phuket & maybe later on Phuket Cable TV Channel 1, Wednesday 22 August 2007 & www.Thaisnews.com

Is this an unsolicited advert on Thaivisa?

Look - it has 'some' merit for absolute wet-behind-the-ears newbies who might be tempted to clamber on statues of Lord Buddha or hit students on the head with a shoe...........but really - to expect impoverished but established teachers to pay almost half a months salary for a course that guarantees nothing (all our teachers have licences already) and furthermore does not help someone teach in ANY way, is taking the piss.

This smacks of a money making scheme.

The course is useless for anyone who has been teaching here longer than 6 months.

If this does become 'law' - you do realise that you have just increased the time it takes for a teacher to become legal.

Now, as well as jumping through visa-hoops, the poor unsuspecting new recruit has to find a course provider and sit through a painful bout of Isaan clanging (Thai cultural music). They might just decide to go to China after all. Or Malaysia. Or Vietnam. Or Cambodia. Or Laos. Heck - even Burma appear to be a better bet.

Are the lunatics running the asylum?

ok... to answer all of the posters asking questions:

1. The problems are MoE asking for more and more documentation of my American Univ bachelor's degree. The original diploma wasnt enough. They then wanted to see original transcripts. After that, then I had to produce a letter from the university vouching for the authenticity of the other documents and stating that I did indeed actually graduate.

2. By public high school, yes I mean a Thai government high school. I am employed through an agency. And the agency's procedure has always been (I guess) to have their teachers get a license first, and then the WP. So I am following their standard operating procedure. Whether right or wrong, I dont know. I assumed they knew more than I did about this (again, right or wrong).

3. I have at each occasion only submitted the requested documents, only to be told that I need more.

So the current update is this...

third visit to MoE, they said get the letter from the university to vouch that I really did graduate. Don't bring anything else, because we have seen it all already.

fourth visit to MoE, letter from university OK, but now we want to see all the original documents again. (I didnt go this time, because we were told not to bring anything else and I only go when the originals must be shown, so the agency worker does not have these other documents).

fifth visit to MoE, now they only want to see original TESOL certificate. but then they have problem with this, because the certificate does not say how many hours the course was (120 hours), so MoE believes I have only taken a 15 hour course (why they believe 15 and how they got this conclusion, I have no idea). After several back and forths and phone calls from the agency, the MoE accepts that the certificate is for a 120 program.

They accept my application finally. Now wait one week or so to pickup the license! yippee! (then its on to the department of labor.... I'm sure that will be equally easy and fun!)

Sorry for all your problems. One thing that might be wise to do is to submit only the required documentation. I learned sometime ago not to submit more than is necessary. Had a lovely lady who received her Bachelor's and had then gone to a foreign country for her MA. First, they wanted the Master's translated. Then they wanted it translated by the Embassy. Then they wanted it verified.

To work at our school all you need is a Bachelor's degree. Now, that's the only one I send to them. I never include the TEFL or anything that isn't required. Too many hassles.

There also are a few people at the MOE who are very pedantic. Sometimes I think it all depends on whose desk the paperwork lands.

Best of luck to you.

The course is useless for anyone who has been teaching here longer than 6 months.

[\quote]

I can't agree. I've been studying various aspects of Thai culture as part of my MA in Thai Studies course at Chula Uni. This includes learning about Thai classical music, dancing etc. Priot to commencing this course, I was rather dismissive of the content. However, I have to say that I have learnt many interesting aspects about Thai culture that previously eluded me in my 5 years of living here, (in a 95% Thai environment).

Ignoring the intentions of those who are offering this particular course, a spot of Thai culture education would not go amiss for many foreign teachers in Thailand :o

Simon

^I think the point of view of most teachers here (including myself) is that if we are INTERESTED in further study of Thai performing arts culture- and no doubt it is very interesting- we will find a way to deal with that ourselves. We don't regard it as a natural requirement for getting/continuing our jobs as teachers of English/math/science/health/history, etc., etc.- *especially* when it involves being required to pay for some course that turns out, no doubt, to be lining the pockets of certain people related to the people inventing these bogus requirements. Put another way- if you were working as an engineer or businessman here and your visa status to continue your job/business suddenly depended on your learning the Thai names of parts of Thai musical instruments (part of the actual requirement list!), and paying someone to teach you this- how would you react?

If they just wanted another tax, raise the work permit fee. This amounts to nothing more than another way to suck some money out, and wastes our time in the bargain.

"Steven"

Special - BIS Phuket & Rangsit University’s Teacher Training Course in Thai Culture and Language

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=214537

The British International School of Phuket and Rangsit University have organized a 20 hour Teacher Training Course in Thai Culture and Language.

There are many foreign teachers in Thailand who are in schools, yet have not met the new standards of the Teachers’ Council. In order to help improve the qualifications of the foreign teachers in Thailand, the Rangsit University Faculty of Education is contributing to teaching effectiveness by providing a training program.

The University from Bangkok and the British International School of Phuket have therefore recognized the need in Phuket, and have organized a local ‘Thai Language and Culture 20 hour course.’ Attending so far are a total of 96 teachers who will receive a certificate by the Teachers Council Ministry of Education.

According to the Teachers and Educational Personnel Council Act 2003, the regulation states that all teachers and administrators must be licensed professionals, with those who apply for a teaching certificate having to pass a test to comply with the rules and regulations of the Teachers’ Council.

The course it designed for foreign teachers to comply with those requirements from the Thai Ministry of Education (or MoE), as the course aims to train foreign teachers in Thailand to better understand Thai society and to know and accept the professional code of conduct for teachers in Thai schools. The professional license can be earned two ways, by earning a Bachelor’s degree in Education and then receiving training in Thailand in these five basic topics: Thai language, manners, art and music, as well as professional ethics – all in the course, or by earning a Bachelor’s degree in another field and taking a test in the other areas provided by the Teacher’s Council in Thailand.

Teachers interested must complete a 20 hour course, with a curriculum structure of 14 hours covering Thai Society, Thai language and Culture, etiquette, arts and music that will educate foreign teachers about mannerisms and 6 hours of professional ethics. Teachers will attend lectures and discussions while also getting to practice in real situations, like witnessing traditional dances, with evaluation from real practices and tests.

Mrs. Songsri Wanasen – Former Director, Instructor of Rangsit University, gave us an overview of the 20 hour Teacher Training course:

The course is being held on the 21, 22, and 25 August, at the School Auditorium of the British International School of Phuket. This teacher training program is open to other teachers who have the desire to receive such a certificate and can also schedule for a training course in a customized time frame with a group of at least 15 people to begin a course and earn a certificate.

By the end of the course the trainees will hopefully understand the situation of Thai society in the past and present, understand the structure of the society, be able to understand some Thai language and basic characteristics and personalities of Thai people, mannerisms, politics, and government, sufficiency economy and social context. Teacher ethics will include learning about the Thai educational system, as well as ethics for oneself, career ethics and behavior in the teaching profession.

This 20 hour teacher training course is for those in teaching professions who would like to be able to teach here in Thailand. This is Genevieve reporting for the Andaman News.

Special for Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) 8.30am + FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, both broadcast from Phuket City to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, Mazz Radio FM108 at 7.30pm in Phuket & maybe later on Phuket Cable TV Channel 1, Wednesday 22 August 2007 & www.Thaisnews.com

Blah, blah, blah. This even more dubious than the post from RMK University offering the Post Grad Dip much on the same unsupported basis. I really look forward to hearing what they have to say about ethics in the education system, that must be a 5 minute lecture.

Sorry, this is total nonsense.

They accept my application finally. Now wait one week or so to pickup the license! yippee! (then its on to the department of labor.... I'm sure that will be equally easy and fun!)

Well done. What an ordeal! Good luck with the job and hopefully no more hassles.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

• 1 month later...

One of my Thai friend's brother is a teacher. She just sent me an email with a link to some kind of test. I'm doing my CELTA just now and my brain is not cooperating after a day's study.

Can anyone tell me what it's about and I can read it in the morning. I mean is it something I have to do? Is it worth doing? etc. etc

Thanks

Jamie

One of my Thai friend's brother is a teacher. She just sent me an email with a link to some kind of test. I'm doing my CELTA just now and my brain is not cooperating after a day's study.

Can anyone tell me what it's about and I can read it in the morning. I mean is it something I have to do? Is it worth doing? etc. etc

Thanks

Jamie

I wouldn't worry about it until you are employed and your school starts talking to you about it. At which point, you may find yourself having to do it and even pay for it out of your own pocket. The reports coming in on the course recently are somewhat inconsistent as is the cost of the course that seems to be dependent on which course provider you use. I don't believe anyone can give you a definitive answer at this point and would suggest that you put it out of your mind for the time being and concentrate on your CELTA course.

Teacher Licences at the moment are not compulsory (unless your school says so) but the Teachers' Council has plans to make them compulsory in the future. This Culture Test will be part of the requirement to obtain a TL so schools are preparing themselves. However, this being Thailand, it will probably be forgotten soon.

"Teacher Licences at the moment are not compulsory (unless your school says so)..."

Teachers Licences are from the MOE, and are required in my province.

"...but the Teachers' Council has plans to make them compulsory in the future."

Not the same thing as the TL from the MOE.

Edited by TerryLH

Teacher Licences at the moment are not compulsory (unless your school says so) but the Teachers' Council has plans to make them compulsory in the future. This Culture Test will be part of the requirement to obtain a TL so schools are preparing themselves. However, this being Thailand, it will probably be forgotten soon.

Huh? They are in Chonburi ! ( covers Pattaya too )

We're talking about two different things here. The MOE has been issuing teacher's licenses for years. They come in two parts, one that you get to keep and the other that your school gets to keep. They must be renewed every year. I have heard that teachers at government schools and universities are not required to have Teacher's Licenses.

The Teacher's Council of Thailand is a new organization that is supposed to be taking over the licensing of all teachers in Thailand. They have set up new standards for both Thai and Farang teachers. Many people, including myself, who were licensed by the MOE in the past do not meet these new standards and will have to take a course and some tests in order to get the new TCT license.

That's it in a nutshell, here are some more details if you are interested:

The current requirements seem to be: A BA/BS in any subject and a 120 hour TEFL certificate. If you are not a native speaker you may have to pass a TOEFL or TOEIC or whatever. These requirements seem to be somewhat flexible, depending on the rest of your CV and your school's pull with the MOE.

The new requirements will be: the same as above, plus a certain amount of post-graduate units in education or a teacher's license or certification from overseas. (Presumably from a Native English speaking country). If you meet the old requirements but not the new, you can take a course in Thai Culture and Ethics that will take about 3 or 4 days and cost anywhere from 3,500 baht to 10,000 baht and then a series of 4 tests (at 1,000baht each) at the TCT.

If you jump through all of these hoops, you will get a 3 year Teacher's License from the TCT. In theory, this license will be transferable to different schools, unlike the current licenses which are cancelled whenever you change jobs.

The old licenses are supposed to be phased out and the new ones phased in over the next three years.

I got this info straight from the horse’s mouth, for whatever that is worth. :o

Unfaithful may be correct about the moon being made out of cheese or poo-poo, but to carry on...

otherstuff said carefully, "The current requirements seem to be: A BA/BS in any subject and a 120 hour TEFL certificate. If you are not a native speaker you may have to pass a TOEFL or TOEIC or whatever. These requirements seem to be somewhat flexible, depending on the rest of your CV and your school's pull with the MOE." That's why I came here with a BA and got a 120 hour TEFL cert. But as the head guy at SEE found out in Chiang Mai when they interviewed a local MoE officer, it seems to be far more flexible than that. It appears unlikely that Thailand will ever have hard and fast, definite rules that are evenly applied throughout the kingdom.

Those TCT guidelines do not appear to have legal force, and haven't yet been enforced much except a few places. Chaimai?

Those TCT guidelines do not appear to have legal force, and haven't yet been enforced much except a few places. Chaimai?

I agree that the rules haven't been enforced yet but the TCT does have a legal status. Below you'll find a part of Volume 122 Special Part 76D, Government Gazette, September 5, 2005.

By virtue of provisions in paragraph one (11) (e), (1) of Section 9, Section 49 and Section 50 of the Teachers and Educational Personnel Council Act RE. 2546 (2003), along with the resolution of the Teachers Council of Thailand Board Meeting No. 9/2005 on June 20, 2005, and the resolution of the Teachers Council of Thailand Board Meeting No. 10/2005 on July 18, 2005, by approval of the Minister of Education, the Teachers Council of Thailand Board hereby issues the regulations of the Teachers Council of Thailand governing the professional standards and ethics as follows:

Petch01

"...regulations of the Teachers Council of Thailand governing the professional standards and ethics as follows:..."

Do you have a link to this. I think many of us would like to see what the regulations are.

Terry

I'm sorry. I only have a copy. The part of the document I posted is from a document issued at the very start of TCT. The document that is useful for teachers is the document ".......Applying for License to Practice Teaching Profession B.E. 2549 (2006)". It's about the requirements for getting the-new-style Teacher License as a result of the initial document. This document is available at the link below.

http://www.ksp.or.th/upload/301/files/570-8429.pdf

Good luck,

Petch01

Edited by Petch01

Thanks for all the replies.

I'll worry about it when I've finished my course.

So what does all this mean? I am about to move to Thailand to take up a teaching post. I have a degree and am currently completing a TEFL qualification. I don't have an education degree, nor a post-graduate education qualification. The school seems quite happy with my qualifications.

Am I going to encounter any problems, either immediately or in the future?

Thanks for all the replies.

I'll worry about it when I've finished my course.

So what does all this mean? I am about to move to Thailand to take up a teaching post. I have a degree and am currently completing a TEFL qualification. I don't have an education degree, nor a post-graduate education qualification. The school seems quite happy with my qualifications.

Am I going to encounter any problems, either immediately or in the future?

You shouldn't have any problems at the moment. As far as the future goes, who knows? Thailand is very consistent in being inconsistent.

There is no such effective rule in place, that is affecting teachers. Affect, effect, tomato, tomato; let's call the whole thing off, and then call the calling-off off. Come on over and join the mayhem, where we cannot know what the rules are in the present continuing tense, no matter how tense it is making us.

• 2 months later...

I received a notice from the Faculty of Eduction of a local university (BKK area) of a training program they are offering that has been approved by the Teachers Council of Thailand for the 20 hours of cultural orientation necessary for a license in Thailand.

This program costs 8,000 baht. Has anybody else heard about this or other programs. What's happening in your area?

I received a notice from the Faculty of Eduction of a local university (BKK area) of a training program they are offering that has been approved by the Teachers Council of Thailand for the 20 hours of cultural orientation necessary for a license in Thailand.

This program costs 8,000 baht. Has anybody else heard about this or other programs. What's happening in your area?

We did ours at Rajabhat Chandrakasem University Bangkok on the 1,2 and 3 October 2007. 20 hours, 4,000 THB. The course is called Thai Culture, Language and Ethics Course.

http://bangkokpost.net/education/site2007/cvoc1607.htm

The Teacher's Council of Thailand ever promoted the course of Rajabhat Suan Dusit. This one costs 12,000 THB. See the link below:

http://www.ksp.or.th/upload/301/files/664-8646.pdf (Website of TCT).

Petch01

Edited by Petch01

Thanks Petch01. I have heard so little about this topic, I had almost forgotten it was a requirement. By the way did you hve to pay or did your employer pay? I have a feeling some people are going to raise a stink on this one.

Ours is costing 5,500 baht but its been arranged for the trainers in Bangkok to come to Pattaya so maybe we are having to foot the hotel bill etc. :o

We have to pay for this but the school are deducting it from salary at 500 baht for 11 months.

At least it is OUR license which we keep.

John from SEE TEFL interviewed the MoE in Chiang Mai a few months back and asked them directly about Teacher Licences which require Thai Culture Training. It appears nothing is finalised yet, but there are plans for the future. Don't hold your breath though that it will be implemented.

'Is it compulsory to have a teacher licence?

No. Currently, they are only an individual school’s requirement. Teacher licences are issued and withdrawn by the Teacher Council Board of Thailand (คุรุสภา). Please read the latest announcement from the Teacher Council Board (TCB). At present this is only a notification and has not yet been accepted as the final version. The TCB is still working on the final standard of qualification for foreign teachers in Thailand.

Currently the TCB is actively trying to implement teacher licenses for all Thai teachers. In future it’s the intention of the TCB that all foreign teachers in normal private and government schools [15/1] will be required to have them as well, but for now it’s the individual school’s requirement. Foreign teachers in language schools [15/2] and free/merit [15/3] schools will be exempt.

In future the teacher licence will need to be applied for by the teachers themselves.'

Here's a link to the whole interview:

http://www.ajarn.com/interview_at_moe.htm

Here's a link to the Teachers' Council Proposal regarding the Culture thing:

http://www.ksp.or.th/upload/301/files/570-8429.pdf