Satellite Internet

Doisaketmoobaan

Guest IT Manager

A few details. PM me for anything they missed.

There is one company in CM who did an IpSTAR site survey and said alright no problem, we can put it up there.

I was nattering to the guy 2 days later and he said "I'm getting IpSTAR". I asked how he was planning to do that, since between his place and the satellite was a 15 storey condominium, which tends to make signal acquisition a little bit of a problem.

They had surveyed for the wrong satellite by 100 degrees.

Thailand...love it.

I had dial up sat return CSCOMS IPTV,I had it for over 6 months and it was iffy most of the time and for the last 3 months it never worked at all. That is when I had David [iT] come to fix it,he couldn't do anything with it and after he left,my computer was so screwed up that I had to set it back to a time before he came and worked on it,so I was just out 4000 baht.

Then I got hold of CSCOMS and told them that their sat gear was out in my driveway,and to discontinue their service to me, they did cut off the service,but their gear is still out in the driveway.and I am out 9000 for that,so I would steer clear of CSCOMS IP anything. :o

KevinN,

My guess is there was something wrong with your setup, faulty equipment or some wrong settings...

I have IPTV running for some 7 months now and I am very satisfied with it... The moments it doesn't work as advertised are far and between...

When I read some threads about iffy ADSL connections where speed doesn't get even close to advertised it seems I'm pretty well of with my little set-up!

I have to admit I'm rather computer savvy so I was able to iron out some quirks...

It is true the customer service from CSLoxinfo is pretty terrible, but in the Pattaya area we are lucky to have a local dealer who has a technician which is at least interested in the work he does!!

Monty

I posted my experiences with the two-way IPStar system a while back, you can find it here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t=0entry71237

As you can see, it certainly doesn't come with my recommendation!

I can only assume by your nickname that you are in the Doisaket area - I was down at the TT&T office in Kad Suan Kaew just yesterday, and their ADSL coverage map certainly indicates DSL availability in Doisaket, I guess providing you're not too far away from their Doisaket exchange.. 1000 install + 2500 modem + 999/mth, but with the understanding that it may only deliver 40kbps (2mbps link shared by up to 50 users).

As pointed out above, the other alternative is GPRS however it's not broadband, in fact it's ever so slightly slower than the dialup you're using at the moment. AIS have a limited deal for 850/mth, while DTAC are running a promotion of 999/mth unlimited, but I beleive it ends in June or July..

I posted my experiences with the two-way IPStar system a while back, you can find it here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t=0entry71237

As you can see, it certainly doesn't come with my recommendation!

I can only assume by your nickname that you are in the Doisaket area - I was down at the TT&T office in Kad Suan Kaew just yesterday, and their ADSL coverage map certainly indicates DSL availability in Doisaket, I guess providing you're not too far away from their Doisaket exchange.. 1000 install + 2500 modem + 999/mth, but with the understanding that it may only deliver 40kbps (2mbps link shared by up to 50 users).

As pointed out above, the other alternative is GPRS however it's not broadband, in fact it's ever so slightly slower than the dialup you're using at the moment. AIS have a limited deal for 850/mth, while DTAC are running a promotion of 999/mth unlimited, but I beleive it ends in June or July..

Excellent Thank you-

I am with TT&T and my browser says i am coneccted at 50.6kpbs Would AsDl be faster? is the 999 a month unlimited online access? I am on 10km to doi saket-

I am with TT&T and my browser says i am coneccted at 50.6kpbs Would AsDl be faster? is the 999 a month unlimited online access? I am on 10km to doi saket-

In theory, yes ADSL would be faster. The worst case of 40kbps is something I don't think you'll find too quickly out Doisaket way. The word on the street is average speeds of around 100-250kbps, and yes it's unlimited @ 999/mth after the initial 3500 in setup fees/modem.

On the downside, I'm not sure exactly sure where in Doisaket the TT&T exchange is (the marker on their map indicates the town center itself), but if you're anything more than about 5-6kms (in respect to the copper cable run) from it, there's a very slim chance that your line quality will be good enough for ADSL :o

The best bet would be to pop into the TT&T shop in the basement level of Kad Suan Kaew (opp. the new disco), and organise them to do a site survey for you - then at least you'll know if it's an option.

Along the same line of IT, does anyone know of a shop in the greater Chiang Mai area that understands how to set-up, program and repair computers? Since Hard Hat Computers is no longer, I assume a few of us will need to look elsewhere.