Bang Kwang prison chief removed after cellphones found in maximum security jail

webfact

Bang Kwang prison’s commandant removed after some 10 cellphones were found in prison

1002007-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The commandant of Bang Kwang maximum security prison has been removed after police seized more than 10 cellphones from some prisoners who allegedly conducted drugs trade from the prison.

The removal of Mr Suraphol Kaewparadai was ordered by Mr Witthaya Suriyawong, director-general of Corrections Department, who appointed his deputy, Mr Ruangsak Suvaree, as acting commandant of the prison pending the appointment of a permanent replacement.

A fact-find committee was set up to investigate Mr Suraphol although he has tendered his resignation to be effective as of September.

Mr Suraphol’s removal stemmed from the police arrest of Mr Wutthichai Ontachan with 21 kgs of heroin worth about 50 million baht in Pathum Thani on January 23.

Wutthichai reportedly told police he was hired by a Mr O, a prisoner in Bang Kwang prison, to deliver the drug to customers in Pathum Thani, Chon Buri and Hat Yai in exchange for 500,000 baht in fees. Since then, police investigated drug network in the prison and launched a raid netting about 10 cellphones.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/150446

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-11

Is there any institution or even any job that hasnt been corrupted in Thailand? I use the term institution very lightly in LOS.

Even Buddhism is not immune from scandals.

The PM runs this country like its his own military barracks.Whenever he holds a press conference he glares and points at people he doesnt like and threatens them.......then walks out in a huff.

I wouldnt be surprised if Yingluck makes a comeback and becomes the next PM......again.

Nothing changes in thailand.

Something very fishy here !!10 cell phones found in cells.

Big boss or someone taking backhanders for them to get inside a top security prison.

When i was locked up in Buriram prison, they checked my bag inside 2 cans of cola poured them down the drain.

Not suprrise, a friend who is in the same prison says iphone 6 costs couple million baht (forgot how much but over 2 million) to obtain in the prison, folks who have it obviously are big time drug dealers who can make that money back with a single call.

Perhaps depriving use of cell phones considered "cruel and unusual punishment".

Nearly all prisons world wide has a collection of confiscated cell phones and history's of inmates dealing from the inside, crooked wardens and bent prison officials, big problem in NZ, private prisons taking the lead.wai2.gif

I think its a clever scheme: You give your mates a chance to run the prison with all its benefits for a while, the remove them under suspicion (but no charges) then the next friend has a go. Everyone wins: Friends make money and you look like you're trying to stamp out corruption in your prisons.

From what i understand, a block of phones can be made around any prison. So surely its up to the government to do this, or is someone on the take there as well.

It was discussed, but the prison officers complained about it as they would have nothing to do during their shifts.

Archived